FiiO FH5 - Quad Driver Hybrid In-Ear Monitors || Knowles Balanced Armature Drivers
Jul 2, 2018 at 10:42 AM Post #212 of 2,258
It does function at least for me as i want a portable rig without cables. and im willing to sacrifice the total cable free with this fiio BTRx solution.
as you said, the cable must have a chin slider (sturdy like on the FH5 cable) a option of a slim ear-hook (could work a detachable one to work with other MMCXs in-ears)
Also the super-duty 3.5mm connector on the FH5 cable is a must.
Even 40 USD would be a great choice coming from FIIO
A 40 mm version of the FH5 cable would fit the bill nicely.

Jul 2, 2018 at 9:52 PM Post #218 of 2,258
I could understand the difference of the sound signatures between the two, but to say that the FH5 is far superior is another issue. Technically, in what aspects do you consider it superior to Oriolus?
The bass in the Forsteni is somewhat too loose, and IMO there is too much of a dip between bass and mids that results in too much emphasis in the mid highs - high frequencies. The coherence of the DD and BA drivers, as well as fullness of vocals seems to suffer as a result - I use the Oriolus MK2 /v2 / whatever people call it these days :darthsmile: nearly everyday, so I know what that company is capable of, and they surely skimped on something with the Forsteni to get it to half the price of their original magnum opus.

The FiiO FH5 handles the transition between DD and BA so seamlessly and effortlessly, with more well rounded sound signature throughout that I would easily recommend it over the Forsteni, unless a user specifically asked me for a bright, wide soundstage tuning IEM.

Hey, could cou compare it to the Massdrop Plus too? I didn't like the Massdrop too much, especially the too forward upper mids and smallish soundstage.

I actually very much enjoyed the Massdrop Plus, but to compare it I would say the FiiO is gentler and less mechanical sounding than the MDP, especially in the low frequencies (I find that dynamic driver bass is generally more "pleasant" in that it's not so aggressively tight). High frequency details are also more smoothed out (but not recessed) than the MDP IMO. Kind of like the difference between a "shh" and a "tchh" if you know what I mean. Soundstage is also slightly wider, though it wasn't the highlight for me when I tried it. The FH5 definitely did not have as much emphasis on upper mids though, so it might fit your bill.

Jul 2, 2018 at 10:20 PM Post #220 of 2,258
Dear Fiio when will Singapore get its 1st demo batch as I really want to try it out personally. Just purchased the F9 Pro and it sounded fantastic for the price range.

Currently we have not detail schedule to share with you right now, but I think the demo unit should be available in this month.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jul 2, 2018 at 10:25 PM Post #221 of 2,258
Jul 3, 2018 at 12:29 AM Post #222 of 2,258
So what’s your take on Oriolus Mk2 vs FH2?

The bass in the Forsteni is somewhat too loose, and IMO there is too much of a dip between bass and mids that results in too much emphasis in the mid highs - high frequencies. The coherence of the DD and BA drivers, as well as fullness of vocals seems to suffer as a result - I use the Oriolus MK2 /v2 / whatever people call it these days :darthsmile: nearly everyday, so I know what that company is capable of, and they surely skimped on something with the Forsteni to get it to half the price of their original magnum opus.

The FiiO FH5 handles the transition between DD and BA so seamlessly and effortlessly, with more well rounded sound signature throughout that I would easily recommend it over the Forsteni, unless a user specifically asked me for a bright, wide soundstage tuning IEM.

I actually very much enjoyed the Massdrop Plus, but to compare it I would say the FiiO is gentler and less mechanical sounding than the MDP, especially in the low frequencies (I find that dynamic driver bass is generally more "pleasant" in that it's not so aggressively tight). High frequency details are also more smoothed out (but not recessed) than the MDP IMO. Kind of like the difference between a "shh" and a "tchh" if you know what I mean. Soundstage is also slightly wider, though it wasn't the highlight for me when I tried it. The FH5 definitely did not have as much emphasis on upper mids though, so it might fit your bill.

Jul 3, 2018 at 5:05 AM Post #223 of 2,258
Had a chance to catch up with @Brooko and evaluate FH5 among ton of other IEMs, much appreciated, Paul!

I don't think I'm in position to utter anything definite about FH5, but can share few observations: they are solidly built indeed and have nice comfortable fit indeed. Of a special note is amour of "air", shimmering uplift in high frequencies, noticeable but not too overdone and similar to tone and quality to expensive multiple-BA monitors. This contributes to good detail retrieval too, as opposed to lifting highs up to fake it.
Overall balanced sound otherwise, with low end impact and low mids sitting half way between BA and dynamic (and some hybrids) IEMs, but quite vocal-forward, as others pointed out already.
Moderate soundstage, a bit wider in HF range.
Output impedance sensitive, which initially confused me a lot when using 22Ohm player, switching to Chord Mojo produced much balanced and pleasing sound.
I probably would use a pure copper cable with them to bring out lows and mids and highs should sit just right too.
Hope it helps :)

Jul 3, 2018 at 7:12 AM Post #224 of 2,258
As @Ivan TT correctly stated, source matching is a factor. When paired with my QP1R which is known to be bright and detailed, the FH5 sounded too midforward with a scoop in the upper bass/low mids. It's breathtakingly clear but I wanted more growl to my male vocals and crunch in the guitars. After switching out to the WM1A which is warmer and more "musical" sounding I thought the balance was perfect. One of the first things I look out for when evaluating earphones are obvious weaknesses. I'm struggling to find any.

Jul 3, 2018 at 7:21 AM Post #225 of 2,258
As @Ivan TT correctly stated, source matching is a factor. When paired with my QP1R which is known to be bright and detailed, the FH5 sounded too midforward with a scoop in the upper bass/low mids. It's breathtakingly clear but I wanted more growl to my male vocals and crunch in the guitars. After switching out to the WM1A which is warmer and more "musical" sounding I thought the balance was perfect. One of the first things I look out for when evaluating earphones are obvious weaknesses. I'm struggling to find any.

Thanks for the impressions and I see that you have reviewed the FH1, do they sound similar ? and would they be a big upgrade. I had the F9 pro and did not really like them due to the (IMO) weak bass...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back