FiiO FH5 - Quad Driver Hybrid In-Ear Monitors || Knowles Balanced Armature Drivers
Aug 11, 2018 at 6:54 PM Post #781 of 2,258
Vitandus: did you happen to read Brooko's post on the screen removal? Anyway, he tested the FH5 with and without screens and there was no viable difference. Check out his post.

I did, and I've seen the arguments back and forth from others. For me, it was a QC issue rather than sound. I would rather have the screens there and opt to remove (or keep them) than not.

In any case, I returned them and am thinking of going another route. Maybe other tips would have helped the comfort, but they hurt my left ear quite a bit.

Aug 11, 2018 at 9:53 PM Post #782 of 2,258
Vitandus: did you happen to read Brooko's post on the screen removal? Anyway, he tested the FH5 with and without screens and there was no viable difference. Check out his post.
Need to clarify a little - there was a measurable difference (approx 0.2 dB), but it was even across all frequencies and I believe does not change the sound apart from making them very slightly louder. I could not hear a difference - mind you I wasn’t expecting to, and psycho-acoustics and expectation bias works both ways. I’d recommend people try with an open mind - but I will say that on a measurement rig there is no indication that the sound has any change except volume. Personally I’ll be keeping the mesh on.

Aug 11, 2018 at 10:50 PM Post #783 of 2,258
I have had two events recently that really messed up my hearing - 1) I had an LEO play with his firearm on the line during training and let off a round right next to me in an indoor range - and I wasn't wearing hearing protection 2) GHOST and Iron Maiden last year in the pit, and I had ringing and the underwater effect for days. Since then, certain registers just sound off.

I absolutely get psychoacoustics and how different people "hear" differently. It's amazing how music can sound different between volume at 8 o'clock and 9 o'clock on the dial.

All that said, now I keep hearing about these Campfire Audio IEMs... First it was AKG 7XX with the new laptop... then the Schitt stack to power the headphones... then the iSine 20s as an upgrade to the Shure E2Cs... then the Sony Walkman NW-ZX300... DAMN YOU GUYS. (Actually, I love it.)

Aug 11, 2018 at 11:13 PM Post #784 of 2,258
I have had two events recently that really messed up my hearing - 1) I had an LEO play with his firearm on the line during training and let off a round right next to me in an indoor range - and I wasn't wearing hearing protection 2) GHOST and Iron Maiden last year in the pit, and I had ringing and the underwater effect for days. Since then, certain registers just sound off.

I absolutely get psychoacoustics and how different people "hear" differently. It's amazing how music can sound different between volume at 8 o'clock and 9 o'clock on the dial.

All that said, now I keep hearing about these Campfire Audio IEMs... First it was AKG 7XX with the new laptop... then the Schitt stack to power the headphones... then the iSine 20s as an upgrade to the Shure E2Cs... then the Sony Walkman NW-ZX300... DAMN YOU GUYS. (Actually, I love it.)
That rabbit hole pulls us all in. :beyersmile:

Aug 11, 2018 at 11:56 PM Post #787 of 2,258
Remove screens and see for yourself. They go back on.

Listen with your ears and not your eyes.

Brooko is not pushing his results and I am not eith er.

Just try it and decide for yourself

Agreed. It's like food or wine or whiskey - you can find someone with similar tastes and that can guide you a bit, but in the end, you gotta try it yourself. If you listen to anyone who naysays anything in this hobby, you'd be paralyzed and unable to buy anything.

Like you said in your review, some folks won't like the peak, some will be fine with it, some will EQ it out. Ditto the screens.

Aug 12, 2018 at 2:38 AM Post #788 of 2,258
As someone who watches your YT, I read this in your voice. LOL

Thanks for watching. I never post them here and took the link out of my sig. So your views are appreciated :)

If you listen to anyone who naysays anything in this hobby, you'd be paralyzed and unable to buy anything.

Like you said in your review, some folks won't like the peak, some will be fine with it, some will EQ it out. Ditto the screens.

That bolded part is classic words of wisdom for folks.

Aug 12, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #790 of 2,258
I picked these up at a local dealer today as they had a discount I could apply which would come out to a bit below retail. The sales tax negated most of my savings but still cheaper than other places. I was able to test it out prior to purchase which is good for these earphones. They are on the larger side and I've had issues in the past with these type of larger universals and luckily they fit me well. The Mee Audio P1 is what I've been using so I was a bit worried that the Fiio FH5 wouldn't be as good or too similar. I read through most of this thread and also a few reviews which helped me make the purchase. It's a different signature and it does feel more open than what I was hearing from my P1 before. I've had the P1 for a long time so hopefully these will do the job for a long time as well. I remain skeptical however regardless of the praise here (so far so good) and will give it a few weeks before I decide if these will stay or not.

The only complaint so far is the short nozzle and the right angled termination on the cable. I have some spinfit tips on them now however I'll purchase the bi-flange spinfit tips as that should give a deeper seal. This feels similar to the issue I had when I owned the CA Andromeda however I believe those nozzles were ever shorter. I would have preferred a straight plug or a lower profile right angled plug. I'll check out plussound audio for a cable in the near future. I've been tempted by daps in the past however the issue is if I want a larger portable setup instead of just my phone. I haven't owned a dap that took a 2.5mm balanced cable so this may be the time for me to get one.

Aug 13, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #792 of 2,258
Thank you! That's what was bothering me as well. Good to know about the Andromeda. Might have to get the iBasso IT04s if that is the case.

A few of us have experimented with tips and DIY spacers. I had an inferior crus interference with the shell that was solved by standing off the large bass tip stems by 2-3 mm, and now they're very comfortable, and more so than the already-comfortable F9 and FH1.

I generally prefer a lower-profiled right angle plug, but this one actually helps in my most common use case so far: I have easier access to the controls on my EarStudio ES100. The angle of the MMCX does pose a bit of a difficulty with aftermarket cables with straight plugs; they don't readily curve around the top of the ear, which compromises support on the go a bit - I've switched back to stock. However, I think the MMCX angle is necessitated by the sheer size of the shell, so I don't take issue with it.

[edit: an inferior crus]

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #793 of 2,258
A few of us have experimented with tips and DIY spacers. I had a superior crus interference with the shell that was solved by standing off the large bass tip stems by 2-3 mm, and now they're very comfortable, and more so than the already-comfortable F9 and FH1.

I generally prefer a lower-profiled right angle plug, but this one actually helps in my most common use case so far: I have easier access to the controls on my EarStudio ES100. The angle of the MMCX does pose a bit of a difficulty with aftermarket cables with straight plugs; they don't readily curve around the top of the ear, which compromises support on the go a bit - I've switched back to stock. However, I think the MMCX angle is necessitated by the sheer size of the shell, so I don't take issue with it.

I know what you mean regarding the mmcx angle. One of the biggest gripes I had with the iBasso IT03 was that the plug angle is straight and the shells are a similar shape to the FH5, so I was forced to use other cables with angled mmcx plugs. I love that Fiio made theirs angled. You don't see it very often.

Aug 13, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #794 of 2,258
This is how the straight mmcx plug fits by my ear. I walk 4+ miles with it one a day and it stays put and is easy to forget it's there.

20180813_150200.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back