FiiO FH5 - Quad Driver Hybrid In-Ear Monitors || Knowles Balanced Armature Drivers
Jul 12, 2018 at 11:34 PM Post #391 of 2,258
Anyone can eq their gear (any gear) really and baby them if needed. Thanks for the 2 cents captain ;p
So you havent heard the FH5 - yet you felt justified recommending an alternative?

I’ve heard both - which is why I chose to comment.

[comment modified by mod]. My 2c

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 13, 2018 at 12:39 AM Post #393 of 2,258
I'm seriously thinking of getting these when they come to Amazon (hopefully next week). I'd like to get a 2.5 mm balanced cable to go with them. The new LC cables on the Fiio website seem intended to match the FH5, but do not appear to be available yet. Any idea when/if they will be available on Amazon or otherwise in the US? Failing availability of these cables in the near term, am I correct in assuming that the RC-MMCX balanced cables, which are compatible with the other Fiio IEMs using MMCX connectors and are available on Amazon) will work with the FH5?

@ Marlowe - I asked a similar question on here but got no response so I checked and found a few on Amazon from Fiio here:

FiiO Balanced Headphone cable with MMCX connectors
https://www.amazon.com/FiiO-2-5mm-B...=1531456349&sr=1-3&keywords=fiio+2.5+balanced

FiiO Balanced Cable For Ultimate Ears and M-Audio Earphones (RC-UE2B)
https://www.amazon.com/Balanced-Ult...e=UTF8&qid=1531456424&sr=8-1&keywords=rc-ue2b

FiiO RC-78B 120cm (47.24") Cable for Balanced Earphones, 0.78mm (0.03") Diameter of Contact Pin, 2.5mm (0.10") Diameter of Cable
https://www.amazon.com/RC-78B-Balan...ie=UTF8&qid=1531456544&sr=1-1&keywords=rc-78b

Now I see some available from Fiio's trusted source here: https://fiio.aliexpress.com/store/a...tml?spm=2114.12010612.100004.3.4d4060bf6qQHHM

I would issue some caution and or extensive research first because all of these have terrible review scores.

This may have something to do with the price-to-quality but I know nothing about the balanced cable world...maybe others can chime in for input or 2c

Jul 13, 2018 at 2:23 AM Post #394 of 2,258
Jul 13, 2018 at 5:00 AM Post #395 of 2,258
So a person who like forward and full bodied vocals and a gentle/polite bass a 3D like presentation can love FH5 , right ,???

I think Chris covered it in his reply to you. Personally I think the bass is nicely extended and has enough impact to satisfy my needs, but I also know Chris likes a little more bass than I do. We both appreciate quality bass - and I think the FH5 delivers well as far as extension, timbre and impact goes. As Eric says, its there when needed. Everyone will ahve their own requirement for quantity - these aren't bass head IEMs.

The vocals are quite forward in the mix. This is the bump at just over 2 kHz (the 4th-6th harmonic) and its a pretty big rise according to my rig (about +8dB). I'm very sensitive in the 2-3kHz area, and I generally prefer a softer peak. The FLC8S discussed earlier has a similar rise (even earlier - peaks at about 1.5 kHz). I'll show you a comparison graph later.

The effect of this peak is to put the vocals, and things like guitars very forward in the mix. This cuts down the impression of stage, and makes things more intimate. I think I said earlier that the FH5 is not (to me) an expansive monitor. Neither (IMO) is the FLC8S.

Jul 13, 2018 at 5:03 AM Post #396 of 2,258
Sorry guys - went to a good friend's funeral today. Going to pop over the road and spend some time with her husband. Will post some graphs on some of the earphones mentioned when I get back in a couple of hours.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2018 at 8:34 AM Post #397 of 2,258
Graphs of some of the earphones you all asked for. Usual disclaimer

The graphs I use are generated using the Vibro Veritas coupler and ARTA software. Ken Ball (ALO/Campfire) graciously provided me with measurement data which I have used to recalibrate my Veritas so that it mimics an IEC 711 measurement standard (Ken uses two separate BK ear simulators, we measured the same set of IEMs, and I built my calibration curve from shared data). I do not claim that this data is 100% accurate, but it is very consistent, and is as close as I can get to the IEC 711 standard on my budget. I suspect it is slightly down at around 9-10 kHz, but seems reasonably accurate through the rest of the spectrum. Sub bass may also be down slightly on my graphs.

I do not claim that the measurements are in any way more accurate than anyone else’s, but they have been proven to be consistent and I think they should be enough to give a reasonable idea of response – especially if you’ve followed any of my other reviews. When measuring I always use crystal foam tips (so medium bore opening) – and the reason I use them is for very consistent seal and placement depth in the coupler. I use the same amp (E11K) for all my measurements – and output is under 1 ohm.

I've matched the freq response at the natural equivalent in the vocal fundamental range - and remember these are all done on the same rig. Click for larger images:

fh5 vs andromeda.png
Vs Andromeda - I don't have one to directly compare (so this is from memory)
Andro has better bass and is richer tonally. More detailed, flatter. Only thing (IMO) the FH5 wins on against the Andro is comfort.

fh5 vs cl1.png
Vs RHA CL1. I'd take the FH5 any day. The CL1 was torturous - the treble was piercing (ear-shredding)

fh5 vs dk3001.png

Dunu DK3001 - both have a forward mid-range (in terms of harmonics). The Dunu has better lower treble presence. Personally I'd take the DK3001 sonics over the FH5 (thats personal preference - I like a brighter signature), but for comfort the FH5 wins.

fh5 vs f9 pro.png

Vs F9 Pro - the F9 Pro is leaner and brighter. For me the FH5 is better - more balanced.

fh5 vs fh1.png

Vs FH1 - interesting and I find the two quite close. If anything the FH1 is slightly more cohesive ion the transition from mids to lower treble. Need more time with both.

fh5 vs flc8s.png
Vs FLC8S - I prefer the FLC8S (in this configuration) sonically due to the slightly less forward vocal harmonics. For comfort, build quality, cabel quality and price though - my personal preference would be FH5. And as I said previously, taking the top of the peak out at 2kHz is pretty simple with EQ, and makes a big difference.

fh5 vs sirius.png

Vs Sirius. Don't rely on the graph. The Sirius has more bass - it just has an internal vent, and when partially blocked, the bass goes up. Both sound very similar - FH5 is a bit bassier (even with the port naturally partially closed on the Sirius). Sirius has a slightly sweeter vocal presentation - but still quite forward. On comfort - definitely the FH5. For me personally - and especially considering the price difference - I'd take the FH5. Again - EQ is your friend as long as you are comfortable with it.

Jul 13, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #399 of 2,258
Graphs of some of the earphones you all asked for. Usual disclaimer

The graphs I use are generated using the Vibro Veritas coupler and ARTA software. Ken Ball (ALO/Campfire) graciously provided me with measurement data which I have used to recalibrate my Veritas so that it mimics an IEC 711 measurement standard (Ken uses two separate BK ear simulators, we measured the same set of IEMs, and I built my calibration curve from shared data). I do not claim that this data is 100% accurate, but it is very consistent, and is as close as I can get to the IEC 711 standard on my budget. I suspect it is slightly down at around 9-10 kHz, but seems reasonably accurate through the rest of the spectrum. Sub bass may also be down slightly on my graphs.

I do not claim that the measurements are in any way more accurate than anyone else’s, but they have been proven to be consistent and I think they should be enough to give a reasonable idea of response – especially if you’ve followed any of my other reviews. When measuring I always use crystal foam tips (so medium bore opening) – and the reason I use them is for very consistent seal and placement depth in the coupler. I use the same amp (E11K) for all my measurements – and output is under 1 ohm.

I've matched the freq response at the natural equivalent in the vocal fundamental range - and remember these are all done on the same rig. Click for larger images:

Vs Andromeda - I don't have one to directly compare (so this is from memory)
Andro has better bass and is richer tonally. More detailed, flatter. Only thing (IMO) the FH5 wins on against the Andro is comfort.

Vs RHA CL1. I'd take the FH5 any day. The CL1 was torturous - the treble was piercing (ear-shredding)

Dunu DK3001 - both have a forward mid-range (in terms of harmonics). The Dunu has better lower treble presence. Personally I'd take the DK3001 sonics over the FH5 (thats personal preference - I like a brighter signature), but for comfort the FH5 wins.

Vs F9 Pro - the F9 Pro is leaner and brighter. For me the FH5 is better - more balanced.

Vs FH1 - interesting and I find the two quite close. If anything the FH1 is slightly more cohesive ion the transition from mids to lower treble. Need more time with both.

Vs FLC8S - I prefer the FLC8S (in this configuration) sonically due to the slightly less forward vocal harmonics. For comfort, build quality, cabel quality and price though - my personal preference would be FH5. And as I said previously, taking the top of the peak out at 2kHz is pretty simple with EQ, and makes a big difference.

Vs Sirius. Don't rely on the graph. The Sirius has more bass - it just has an internal vent, and when partially blocked, the bass goes up. Both sound very similar - FH5 is a bit bassier (even with the port naturally partially closed on the Sirius). Sirius has a slightly sweeter vocal presentation - but still quite forward. On comfort - definitely the FH5. For me personally - and especially considering the price difference - I'd take the FH5. Again - EQ is your friend as long as you are comfortable with it.
As always, appreciate your FR comparisons. All that's left for me now would be to zoom in on these and the IT04s to hear the instrument placing and potential propensity for out-of-head surprises.

Man, I really, really need to quit HF someday. You guys are shamefully, lethally poisonous.

Jul 13, 2018 at 11:07 AM Post #400 of 2,258
I'm finding the FH5 to be deceptively too forward/smaller soundstage of an earphone. What do I mean by that? Well, initially - as I stated on an earlier post - it seems as if you're right nest to the stage or in the studio with the musicians, but I'm hearing some detailed background vocals and instrumentation that gives the perception of a wider soundstage and distance. Oh, I do have the LZ A5 with me today (and will do a side by side listening), but I aready know that the FH5 is ahead of by leaps and bounds in clarity, resolution and detail. I still think the LZ is a good earphone and I like that you can shape the sound of it with the filters, but value for price, the FH5 is the clear winner hands down.

Jul 13, 2018 at 11:16 AM Post #401 of 2,258
in my opinion, if you have enough budget you should be the most expensive one :L3000:

James, where can I find the LC-2.5C cable for my FH5? Thank you.

Jul 13, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #404 of 2,258
I’ve yet to hear the FH5 but will do soon hopefully when I can source them in the UK.

I’m starting to think that maybe Fiio with the FH5 and ibasso with the wonderful IT04 are starting to show what can be achieved against some of the ‘big players’ at a fraction of the cost.

Jul 13, 2018 at 4:56 PM Post #405 of 2,258

I like the FH1 overall signature but I find the bass a bit loose, I'd like something with tighter drums like the F9 Pro but similar in quantity with the FH1. Also, the treble on FH1 is decent but it lacks some air and it's too much in the background, lacks impact, ride cymbals sound OK but when it's required to take the front stage with a bell cymbal, it stays quiet in the background barely noticeable. Is FH5 better in this regard?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back