FiiO FH5 - Quad Driver Hybrid In-Ear Monitors || Knowles Balanced Armature Drivers
Jul 11, 2018 at 6:48 AM Post #333 of 2,258
Click his name - you'll get a pop-up - with following clickable links
Profile Page
Start a Private Message
Follow
Ignore

Click Ignore. You won't see his posts.

Makes living in a thread a lot easier if you come across someone whose posts "push your buttons"

Done, thanks for the tip.

Jul 11, 2018 at 7:14 AM Post #334 of 2,258
Seems many people in this thread are angry that i want to know how it compares to the ie800 and se846. if you don't have anything useful to say or don't have them simply don't reply back.

Well let me see - you've asked at least 3 times I know of for this comparison. They aren't even widely on the market so far, and the guys who do have them are reviewers. Most of us (reviewers) will be subbed to the thread already. I don't know of anybody who has both the ie800 and SE846. George's pair just arrived - he has the IE800. if you are patient, you'll get a comparison of at least one. Carrying on asking isn't going to make it happen.

And also posts like this:
All i care is comparisions with ie800, se846 and campfire andromeda and none of the other garbage iems. I’m still waiting for this comparisions...
are not really going to endear you to folks here. So my advice .....
  • Be patient - impressions will come
  • Put yourselves in other people's shoes once in a while. Most people will be comparing this particular IEM with others in the the same or similar price brackets. This is generally what I see the majority wanting. Its both uncommon and unfair to expect this IEM to compete on the same level as (and you mentioned this above) an Andromeda.
I've had the FH5 for over a week now, and the last thing I wanted to do was give impressions before I've got to know them properly.

What I can say (my subjective opinion)
  • Very good build quality. Reminds me a lot of the Fidue Sirius build quality but with better design (no sharp edges)
  • Really nice cable. Probably a little over-engineered, but you don't really need a balanced cable as practically any DAP or Smartphone can drive these.
  • Has very similar balance to FH1 - just a little more bass, and a little less upper treble.
  • Quite a forward upper mid-range
  • Because the upper mid-range is quite in your face, they are intimate rather than expansive
  • Good overall balance
  • Good with both male and female vocals
I have to finish the xDSD review this week - then the FH5 will be next to be written up.

I would personally advise giving reviewers a chance to get to know these a bit, and taking initial impressions with a grain of salt. Best impressions come after people have lived with them for a week.

For $260 they are definitely value for money, and in the correct overall price bracket.

Someone asked about comparison with the Dunu DK-3001. I'll do an in-depth as part of the review. For me personally, I prefer the DK-3001 sonically (they both sound great). The FH5 has much better ergonomics though.

Jul 11, 2018 at 7:20 AM Post #335 of 2,258
Well let me see - you've asked at least 3 times I know of for this comparison. They aren't even widely on the market so far, and the guys who do have them are reviewers. Most of us (reviewers) will be subbed to the thread already. I don't know of anybody who has both the ie800 and SE846. George's pair just arrived - he has the IE800. if you are patient, you'll get a comparison of at least one. Carrying on asking isn't going to make it happen.

And also posts like this:

are not really going to endear you to folks here. So my advice .....
  • Be patient - impressions will come
  • Put yourselves in other people's shoes once in a while. Most people will be comparing this particular IEM with others in the the same or similar price brackets. This is generally what I see the majority wanting. Its both uncommon and unfair to expect this IEM to compete on the same level as (and you mentioned this above) an Andromeda.
I've had the FH5 for over a week now, and the last thing I wanted to do was give impressions before I've got to know them properly.

What I can say (my subjective opinion)
  • Very good build quality. Reminds me a lot of the Fidue Sirius build quality but with better design (no sharp edges)
  • Really nice cable. Probably a little over-engineered, but you don't really need a balanced cable as practically any DAP or Smartphone can drive these.
  • Has very similar balance to FH1 - just a little more bass, and a little less upper treble.
  • Quite a forward upper mid-range
  • Because the upper mid-range is quite in your face, they are intimate rather than expansive
  • Good overall balance
  • Good with both male and female vocals
I have to finish the xDSD review this week - then the FH5 will be next to be written up.

I would personally advise giving reviewers a chance to get to know these a bit, and taking initial impressions with a grain of salt. Best impressions come after people have lived with them for a week.

For $260 they are definitely value for money, and in the correct overall price bracket.

Someone asked about comparison with the Dunu DK-3001. I'll do an in-depth as part of the review. For me personally, I prefer the DK-3001 sonically (they both sound great). The FH5 has much better ergonomics though.
i was a bit drunk and in a pub when i made that comment to be honest. still i don't know how can a comment about an object offend some people but ok...

Jul 11, 2018 at 8:02 AM Post #337 of 2,258
i was a bit drunk and in a pub when i made that comment to be honest. still i don't know how can a comment about an object offend some people but ok...

Some folks practically live on here like a second home and treat the items like more than items and act with manners they would never have the ballz to do face to face.

If you listen to stuff with vocals prominent like Neil Young, Jim Croce or guys and gals on stools with guitars this is not the set. Bass is not very much because the late mid early treble have a peak along vocal harmonic range. It has a small stage because of late treble.

Treble tracks

Jim croce - "Operator"
Led Zeppelin "Thank You"
Scorpions - "Still loving You"
Neil Young - "Heart of Gold"

All vocal centric tracks normally and in your lap with this set

Bass

Steely Dan - "Hey Nineteen"
Led Zeppelin - "Dazed and Confused"
Doobie Brothers - "Taking it to the Streets"
Led Zeppelin" - "Since I've Been Loving You"

Bass was so polite i used 2nd Zep track with John Paul Jones opening the track with deliberate slow bass string pulls to double check.

If the FH1 had a build quality like it I would rec it over this set.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2018 at 10:43 AM Post #339 of 2,258
I have now given up on trying to be specific on iems as to type of bass, treble, mids. We all have different hearing perceptions, and the best I can do is just to make a general comparison to other earphones. If I try to be specific, it will go in one ear and out the other. Pun intended,

Jul 11, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #340 of 2,258
I found a rather detailed review of the FH5 on the Polish site kropka.audio, with excellent photography and interesting qualitative impressions and comparisons (Google Translate provided serviceable, if not graceful, substitutions).
The reviewer made brief comparisons to the F9 Pro, Campfire Andromeda, Campfire Polaris, Oriveti New Primacy, and Campfire Comet.
https://translate.google.com/transl...ropka.audio/test/sluchawki/fiio-fh5-recenzja/

Jul 11, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #341 of 2,258
I found a rather detailed review of the FH5 on the Polish site kropka.audio, with excellent photography and interesting qualitative impressions and comparisons (Google Translate provided serviceable, if not graceful, substitutions).
The reviewer made brief comparisons to the F9 Pro, Campfire Andromeda, Campfire Polaris, Oriveti New Primacy, and Campfire Comet.
https://translate.google.com/transl...ropka.audio/test/sluchawki/fiio-fh5-recenzja/

I'm in love with everything I just read. :ksc75smile:

I really hope the consensus from other reviewers ends up reading as positively as this review does.

Jul 11, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #342 of 2,258

Maybe Im wrong, but I read it as he says its V-shaped, a bit Bass heavy and the stage is not the biggest.

Jul 11, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #344 of 2,258
Maybe Im wrong, but I read it as he says its V-shaped, a bit Bass heavy and the stage is not the biggest.

That seems to be exaggerating its faults, since they don't even list those in the 'cons' section of the review aside from the soundstage.

They also praise it for:
  • Universal sound
  • Powerful sub-bass, weighted and natural midrange, clear and controlled top
  • High overall dynamics and resolution, three-dimensional holography
And seem to recommend it over the Campfire Polaris, Andromeda, and Comet, as well as the FiiO F9 and the Oriveti New Primacy to boot.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2018 at 2:14 PM Post #345 of 2,258
Here’s the funny thing:

It’s more balanced than V shaped
It’s not bass heavy
Yes - the stage appears somewhat intimate because the vocal range is quite forward

That’s how it sounds to me- and it’s also how it measures (funnily enough)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back