[FiiO FD7/FDX] 12mm dynamic driver with its diaphragm using pure beryllium, with an outer-magnet field, up to 1.5 Tesla magnetic flux.
Dec 10, 2021 at 12:58 AM Post #856 of 1,584
PXL_20211210_054748522~2.jpg

@Guy Fawkes I just ran a quick test with the different nozzles.

I switched back to the balanced stock tips and ran these through the 9038s, a neutral source I'm familiar with.

FD5 large nozzle: stock V-shaped tuning. You already know what these sound like so I won't go further.

FD7 balanced nozzle (black): mids seem to sound closer and less recessed, however there's something weird and off about this sound. Sounds almost inverted or the polarization is off. Imaging is totally off and unlistenable. I couldn't listen to these more than 10 seconds.

FD7 treble nozzle (green): appears to be more V-shaped than FD5 large nozzle. Sounds ok but I much prefer the stock large nozzle on FD5.

Sorry this isn't what you wanted to hear. YMMV, etc.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2021 at 7:12 AM Post #857 of 1,584
Ugello bilanciato FD7 (nero): i medi sembrano suonare più vicini e meno incassati, tuttavia c'è qualcosa di strano e spento in questo
suono. Suoni quasi invertiti o la polarizzazione è disattivata. L'imaging è totalmente spento e inascondibile. Non riuscivo ad ascoltarli per più di 10 secondi.

I could have sworn that the green nozzle was the balanced one .... damn FiiO that continuously inverts the colors to each model constantly confusing us ... grrrrrr

OK so you advise me to discard the balanced black nozzles.... well

FD7 treble nozzle (green): appears to be more V-shaped than FD5 large nozzle. Sounds ok but I much prefer the stock large nozzle on FD7.

I really believed that the nozzles of the FD7 had been tuned better and that they could improve the tuning of the FD5 but never mind.

I really believed that the nozzles of the FD7 had been tuned better and that they could improve the tuning of the FD5 but as not mentioned

Absolutely not, you have been of great help to me to avoid spending money unnecessarily.

Thank you

Dec 10, 2021 at 8:56 PM Post #858 of 1,584
Picked up the FD5 on sale, as my travel set, and with EQ I can get it to sound a little bit like a bassier FD7. By dropping the 4k and 8k bands by ~3.5dB, it really tames the FD5 and snaps everything into focus. Usually mid and treble EQ fixes require a lot of precision but this one is pretty simple.

(Updated the EQ pull to -2.5dB, which puts back a bit more presence to the mids.)

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2021 at 11:06 PM Post #859 of 1,584
Picked up the FD5 on sale, as my travel set, and with EQ I can get it to sound a little bit like a bassier FD7. By dropping the 4k and 8k bands by ~3.5dB, it really tames the FD5 and snaps everything into focus. Usually mid and treble EQ fixes require a lot of precision but this one is pretty simple.
Kinda sorta onboard with your findings, in relation to doing cuts, on the FD5‘s upper range response; to get it to be closer to the FD7. But I find vocals are where the FD7 outshines the FD5.

In “Hotel California”, the vocals are distant, on the FD5, when compared to the FD7. But the bass guitar and the kick drum go to the FD5.

Specific to my tastes, I need an FD6: low end of the FD5 and the FD7 for everything above 100hz.

Dec 11, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #861 of 1,584
Kinda sorta onboard with your findings, in relation to doing cuts, on the FD5‘s upper range response; to get it to be closer to the FD7. But I find vocals are where the FD7 outshines the FD5.

In “Hotel California”, the vocals are distant, on the FD5, when compared to the FD7. But the bass guitar and the kick drum go to the FD5.

Specific to my tastes, I need an FD6: low end of the FD5 and the FD7 for everything above 100hz.
Yeah, I wasn’t expecting the FD5 to magically turn into the 7 just with a slight EQ shift. What I was hoping was to make the upper mids lower treble less aggressive (fatiguing) and more natural (refined) like the FD7, and I think the sound does move in that direction.

Now maybe all that added bass or the overall design differences between the two means that the midrange of the FD5 can’t ever sound like it’s more expensive brother, and we’ll have to wait for the FD5s or some other revision. All I can do is speculate wildly since I’m no engineer. In the meantime, with a simple fix most EQs can handle, I can enjoy the FD5 without having to put up with its slightly overdone V-shape.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2021 at 1:35 AM Post #863 of 1,584
NiceHCK created those filters to use on their Lofty earphones. Reason for that particular screen is it opens up the nozzle end to help with treble extension vs your standard mesh which them Lofty earphones was lacking in. So it could very well help smoothen and open up the sound a bit more than the stock filter. I have a set of those NiceHCK sent me. Might have to try that.

Dec 12, 2021 at 1:39 AM Post #864 of 1,584
NiceHCK created those filters to use on their Lofty earphones. Reason for that particular screen is it opens up the nozzle end to help with treble extension vs your standard mesh which them Lofty earphones was lacking in. So it could very well help smoothen and open up the sound a bit more than the stock filter. I have a set of those NiceHCK sent me. Might have to try that.
18369D5C-9670-431F-9442-64C567D48539.jpeg

Maybe it acts similarly as the FD7’s internal acoustic prism. Who knows haha.

Nice background information regarding the NiceHCK filters. Cheers.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2021 at 2:07 AM Post #865 of 1,584
mod.jpgmod1.jpgmod2.jpgmod3.jpgmod4.jpgmod5.jpgmod6.jpgfiio.jpg

Damn, everything sounds a bit clearer and smoother with this mod. Could it be placebo?
Thanks for posting this, man! I love this mod so much. Stage is slightly wider and imaging more holographic with this. To me, the FD7 with the Lofty filters is the best DD under 1000 dollar!

Dec 12, 2021 at 2:16 AM Post #866 of 1,584
Thanks for posting this, man! I love this mod so much. Stage is slightly wider and imaging more holographic with this. To me, the FD7 with the Lofty filters is the best DD under 1000 dollar!
FD7 sounds freakish realistic indeed. I will be comparing this modded FD7 against @Rockwell75 ’s Zen Pro and Kato next week. Exciting times ahead..

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2021 at 8:16 AM Post #867 of 1,584
Not knowing the original intention for the NiceHCK screens, I came in with the preconceived notion, that they would be similar to the RHA filters, an extra layer, over the factory screen. Without the factory screen, your application looks more akin to a wave guide; which would probably be too much for my "snow flake" ears.

But you have given me the inspiration, to try the RHA filters, that I've been using on the FD5. If I want to change up the FD7 profile a touch, once I'm out of the "Honeymoon Phase".
RHA FiiO screens.jpg

mod6.jpg

Damn, everything sounds a bit clearer and smoother with this mod. Could it be placebo?

Dec 12, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #868 of 1,584
FD7 sounds freakish realistic indeed. I will be comparing this modded FD7 against @Rockwell75 ’s Zen Pro and Kato next week. Exciting times ahead..
Ask him to throw in the Isa as well and we're finally in for the perfect DD shootout! I won't sleep until I read your comparison.

Just need someone who can send in his Turii to round it off... 😁

drftr

Dec 13, 2021 at 10:47 AM Post #869 of 1,584
Guys, the FD7 at 210 hours is freaking amazing! The imaging is so precise, it is competing with the Arya but is more enjoyable and natural sounding. It pairs better with the H1 than the Conductor 3XP, not surprising because the H1 is one hell of a DAC Amp, the layering is something I am in awe with the FD7.
New layers unheard of pop out of nowhere and amaze you. It's an engulfing and a rare experience. Life on Mars gets a new image with these. I am using the large treble nozzles, so the sound is better positioned and more accurate. The bass is fast and clean to my liking. The treble has smoothened out and is airy and detailed but not fully extended, there's a slight roll of at the above 8khz frequencies but that's about it. The transient response is fast. I am loving it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back