[FiiO FD7/FDX] 12mm dynamic driver with its diaphragm using pure beryllium, with an outer-magnet field, up to 1.5 Tesla magnetic flux.
Oct 22, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #571 of 1,584
Because of the working principles and characteristics of the unit speakers, new earphones usually need to be burned in for about 200 hours so to make the diaphragm work in the best state.

Why aren't they burned in from the factory if this is the case? Don't you want that consumers get excellent and "as expected" sound from the very first moment they put them on?

Oct 22, 2021 at 8:18 PM Post #572 of 1,584
I think it’s important to note that people have different priorities with regards to acoustic properties. I value timbre and how natural an EM sounds a lot. But someone that listens primarily to EDM and electronic music that's not necessarily the case. Someone might value 3D imaging, soundstage or something else more than anything.
As a sound designer and electonic music composer, I take issue with the assertion that listeners to electronic music don't care about timbre. Have you tried perusing the heated debate in threads on boards about the virtues of which, for example, Oberheim synth, filter, and then virtual instrument is best and/or has the most "accurate" recreation of the timbre of the original synth? You were probably just "talking off the cuff" but timbre is quite important in electronic music.

Note a debate but a review of one OB VST emulation. Arturia Oberheim SEM V

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2021 at 8:38 PM Post #573 of 1,584
As a sound designer and electonic music composer, I take issue with the assertion that listeners to electronic music don't care about timbre. Have you tried perusing the heated debate in threads on boards about the virtues of which, for example, Oberheim synth, filter, and then virtual instrument is best and/or has the most "accurate" recreation of the timbre of the original synth? You were probably just "talking off the cuff" but timbre is quite important in electronic music.

Note a debate but a review of one OB VST emulation. Arturia Oberheim SEM V
No, I wasn't talking "off the cuff" .I've read comments right here from people that listen to EDM and don't care much about timbre or how accurate and natural an IEM sounds.
Some even may listen to other genres and still don't care much about timbre. I, myself listen to all kinds of music and the not all of my IEMs have 100% accurate timbre. So as long as I don't hear anything offensive I can enjoy it .

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2021 at 8:59 PM Post #574 of 1,584
No, I wasn't talking "off the cuff" .I've read comments right here from people that listen to EDM and don't care much about timbre or how accurate and natural an IEM sounds.
Some even may listen to other genres and still don't care much about timbre. I, myself listen to all kinds of music and the not all of my IEMs have 100% accurate timbre. So as long as I don't hear anything offensive I can enjoy it .
Got it. :wink:

Oct 22, 2021 at 9:36 PM Post #575 of 1,584
Loving the robust but amicable debates here!!

Oct 23, 2021 at 12:25 AM Post #576 of 1,584
I was a little confused after watching Mark's review but his preferences are definitely not what FD7 delivers considering the reviews/impressions/feedback received so far IMO.

FD7 suits my preferences more than any other IEMs I have followed until now.

I have decided to give it a try even if I end up reselling it for half the price (it's the case for audiophile gear in India).

It seems worth that risk.

Whatever the discussion happened so far on this thread is healthy and useful, no drama IMO.

Oct 23, 2021 at 12:59 AM Post #577 of 1,584
As a sound designer and electonic music composer, I take issue with the assertion that listeners to electronic music don't care about timbre.

I can relate to this. I've got a soft spot for TR808 basslines specifically and appreciate music made on analogue synthesizers (The Pet Shop Boys Behaviour album comes to mind).

Oct 23, 2021 at 1:44 PM Post #578 of 1,584
Because of the working principles and characteristics of the unit speakers, new earphones usually need to be burned in for about 200 hours so to make the diaphragm work in the best state.
In general, you can choose some softer songs and keep the volume at a medium level until you are satisfied with the sound performance of the earphones.

Best regards

Can you publish graphs to prove this please?

Oct 23, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #579 of 1,584
Different IEM but I experimented before
8B2CBF4F-8AC2-4CB6-9C96-D7A1714E1F31.jpeg

Bass and Mids (1 vs 75 hour)

AC4D35B9-FE47-453E-9F1F-F8CA7E63F943.jpeg

Upper Mids to Treble.

E33E9000-43E2-4D44-B858-35FF8B53C89C.jpeg

Without smoothing.

My FD7 is at around 110th hour and sound (or my brain) is stabilized. Lovely balanced and dynamic sound :)

Oct 23, 2021 at 3:24 PM Post #582 of 1,584
1635016954542.png

Come back in 2022, when we will reach 4000 hours.

Oct 23, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #584 of 1,584
Science is constantly evolving, something that's true today can be challenged tomorrow the same way that something written off today can be proven in the future. That's not a good argument to bring up graphs to write off burn in completely , nothing is proven here. You should entertain the possibility that our measuring methods and devices are not yet accurate or evolved enough.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #585 of 1,584
Just because you can't measure it doesn't exist. This is not ASR ***.

If your ears can't hear DD burn in why bother buying any IEM above $200?. I am sure there are plenty of IEMs that measure spectacularly below $200.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back