[FiiO FD7/FDX] 12mm dynamic driver with its diaphragm using pure beryllium, with an outer-magnet field, up to 1.5 Tesla magnetic flux.
Oct 16, 2021 at 4:47 AM Post #482 of 1,584
Do you have some experience with other sources or is this the only player you got? I need something with lifelike sounding and very holographic imaging.
My other player is the DX300 and yes it is a little more holographic and lifelike but it's also double the price.

Oct 16, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #487 of 1,584
Hi everyone,

First post here, but I have been lurking for quite sometime. I am just getting into this hobby. Thank you for the many great inputs.

I have both the Fiio FD-7 and FA-9 that have been broken in and connected to the iPhone 11 via Fiio Q5s TC, playing hi-res lossless Apple Music Hotel California.

As compared to the FA-9, I feel that the FD-7 offers a better listening experience. FD-7 is a touch more airy in sound (as if the sound has better spacing, further away from my ears), with better bass and treble, and some instruments like the cymbals (?) sound more distinct. Am I hearing it wrong?

The FD-7 is setup with the green tube (treble boost) and foam ear tips. The FA-9 also has the foam ear tips (S1 DOWN (32 ohm), S2 UP (treble boost on), S3 UP (bass boost off)). I have used the FD-7 pure silver cable on both, as well as the stock FA-9 silver-plated copper cable.

Also, is the FH-5s Pro far more superior to the FD-7, seeing it has 2 Beryllium dynamic drivers vs just one? Or even the FH-7 with 13.6 mm v 12 mm? Thank you.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #488 of 1,584
Hi everyone,

First post here, but I have been lurking for quite sometime. I am just getting into this hobby. Thank you for the many great inputs.

I have both the Fiio FD-7 and FA-9 that have been broken in and connected to the iPhone 11 via Fiio Q5s TC, playing hi-res lossless Apple Music Hotel California.

As compared to the FA-9, I feel that the FD-7 offers a better listening experience. FD-7 is a touch more airy in sound (as if the sound has better spacing, further away from my ears), with better bass and treble, and some instruments like the cymbals (?) sound more distinct. Am I hearing it wrong?

The FD-7 is setup with the green tube (treble boost) and foam ear tips. The FA-9 also has the foam ear tips (S1 DOWN (32 ohm), S2 UP (treble boost on), S3 UP (bass boost off)). I have used the FD-7 pure silver cable on both, as well as the stock FA-9 silver-plated copper cable.

Also, is the FH-5s Pro far more superior to the FD-7, seeing it has 2 Beryllium dynamic drivers vs just one? Or even the FH-7 with 13.6 mm v 12 mm? Thank you.
FH5s and FH7 are Beryllium plated diaphragm but FD7 uses pure Beryllium which is expensive IMO.

No, FD7 is the flagship IEM from FiiO. FH5s is not even superior to it's predecessor FH5 IMO.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2021 at 6:12 PM Post #489 of 1,584
Good review and I agree with all of your points on both the DX300 and amp12. Since my main usage for the DX was to power my Radiance or Arya when traveling I never even tried the amp 11.
I do love the amp 12 sound and LO it is sublime connected to my cap modded LP.
While I was getting 4 or 5 hours of use with my m 11 pro, I am now getting around 12 hours with the DX 312 it will be interesting to see how long it lasts with the FD7.
Your description of the FD7's sound is spot on and what nudged me to give them a try in the first place.
Thanks to you the FD7's will also accompany me often both OTG and traveling.

Oct 16, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #490 of 1,584
FD7 imo is the best Fiio made earphone to date. There is a reason why they cost almost double the FH5s. I doubt Fiio is gonna price them like they are to have them to be lesser in SQ to their previous hybrids. This is a case where more drivers don't mean better sound. Each of Fiios earphones are priced according to the scheme of things.

FD3pro= Best value Fiio dynamic , V shaped signature, a taste of Fiio sound
FD5s= Best stage V shaped with treble and bass as features of the sound tuning.
FH5s= Mids and bass emphasis, better balanced less v shaped with treble BAs in nozzle that needs the Pro cable to become better balanced.
FD7= Best of Fiio sound tuning and SQ thus far with the best balancing from treble to bass. True flagship level dynamic without the price tag.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2021 at 12:29 AM Post #491 of 1,584
Hi guys, is this supposed to be burned in? If so any before and after measurements?

Oct 17, 2021 at 12:40 AM Post #492 of 1,584
I think it is only measurble in attack, decay and release of the diaphragm, but not in frequency response.

102233407-3a6f1980-3ebe-11eb-94d2-0e8cd9f90c2b-p84rbw7jjyw0is7wogcpgc5oybb1hrfdv2eijxfhsw.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2021 at 1:49 AM Post #493 of 1,584
FD7 imo is the best Fiio made earphone to date. There is a reason why they cost almost double the FH5s. I doubt Fiio is gonna price them like they are to have them to be lesser in SQ to their previous hybrids. This is a case where more drivers don't mean better sound. Each of Fiios earphones are priced according to the scheme of things.

FD3pro= Best value Fiio dynamic , V shaped signature, a taste of Fiio sound
FD5s= Best stage V shaped with treble and bass as features of the sound tuning.
FH5s= Mids and bass emphasis, better balanced less v shaped with treble BAs in nozzle that needs the Pro cable to become better balanced.
FD7= Best of Fiio sound tuning and SQ thus far with the best balancing from treble to bass. True flagship level dynamic without the price tag.
Thank you so much for your insight!! I have read your reviews as well on the FD-7 as well.

I am thinking of keeping the FD-7 and pairing it up with the new Fiio UTWS5 when it hits the market. I like my music bright (if I am using the term correctly) with basically boosted treble, not too crazy on bass. I have read that dynamic driver is good for bass, balanced armature for mids and trebles. But somehow I am getting all that I wanted from the FD-7 vs the FA-9. I have tested it on a range of songs from country to Michael Buble, Dua Lipa, EDM, and Iron Maiden.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back