[FiiO FD7/FDX] 12mm dynamic driver with its diaphragm using pure beryllium, with an outer-magnet field, up to 1.5 Tesla magnetic flux.
Oct 14, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #466 of 1,584
Think we should send him a Dunu Zen for comparison. I honestly think that would be the main contender on different aspects. Can't remember seeing anyone including the Zen in a write-up here, right?

drftr
Let me see what I can do...

Oct 14, 2021 at 2:31 PM Post #468 of 1,584
That would be truly awesome. And should your eye catch the Isabellae... :wink:

drftr

It'll be interesting to compare to Isa but I'm pretty confident on the difference already, Isa a very different and unique DD.

Oct 14, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #469 of 1,584
It'll be interesting to compare to Isa but I'm pretty confident on the difference already, Isa a very different and unique DD.
I totally understand. But some of us (me among them) can only spend their money once and have to make a terribly hard discussion - (un)fortunately based on reviewers' opinions during times of COVID. I'd much rather head to Yodobashi and listen to all IEMs on my shortlist myself. But...

So you guys here do an AWESOME job when making your critical thoughts available to the rest of the community and there's a lot of appreciation that's completely disconnected from how you actually value an IEM yourself. You really do...

drftr

Oct 14, 2021 at 3:01 PM Post #470 of 1,584
I totally understand. But some of us (me among them) can only spend their money once and have to make a terribly hard discussion - (un)fortunately based on reviewers' opinions during times of COVID. I'd much rather head to Yodobashi and listen to all IEMs on my shortlist myself. But...

So you guys here do an AWESOME job when making your critical thoughts available to the rest of the community and there's a lot of appreciation that's completely disconnected from how you actually value an IEM yourself. You really do...

drftr

Yes happy to help and will certainly do my best with impressions and comparisons!

Oct 14, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #472 of 1,584
Thanks, is yours the gen2 or gen3? I'm considering getting the gen3. Seems like a great all in one desktop solution. Compact and great looks.
Not sure but I think 2nd generation with usb, optical and line in inputs and upgraded tubes.
The FD7 sounds quite impressive with the firefly SE and at normal listening levels there is no audible noise I have to turn the volume up all the way to hear any noise.
So far they sound great on all my desktop amp's that I have tested it on the only amp's I haven't tried it with is my pro iCAN and mirco BL but I am sure either of those would sound great as well.
My FD7 will primarily be used with my DX 312 which is a amazing combination for OTG or traveling. For now they will be a compliment to my full size travel cans the Radiance maybe even a replacement if they keep getting better.
They are an impressive set of buds at this price point and scale extremely well with better equipment and well recorded music.
The new firefly has also caught my eye, not being balanced is my only gripe with my current one.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2021 at 7:59 PM Post #473 of 1,584
Not sure but I think 2nd generation with usb, optical and line in inputs and upgraded tubes.
The FD7 sounds quite impressive with the firefly SE and at normal listening levels there is no audible noise I have to turn the volume up all the way to hear any noise.
So far they sound great on all my desktop amp's that I have tested it on the only amp's I haven't tried it with is my pro iCAN and mirco BL but I am sure either of those would sound great as well.
My FD7 will primarily be used with my DX 312 which is a amazing combination for OTG or traveling. For now they will be a compliment to my full size travel cans the Radiance maybe even a replacement if they keep getting better.
They are an impressive set of buds at this price point and scale extremely well with better equipment and well recorded music.
The new firefly has also caught my eye, not being balanced is my only gripe with my current one.
I agree the FD7's really do scale well with quality sources. I only discovered the fireflies since you mentioned it. Didn't realize this amp came out nearly 10yrs ago. I've been out of this hobby for a few years and only recently returned and gained interest in IEMs due to the popularity of chi-fi. 😅

Oct 14, 2021 at 11:59 PM Post #474 of 1,584
I agree the FD7's really do scale well with quality sources. I only discovered the fireflies since you mentioned it. Didn't realize this amp came out nearly 10yrs ago. I've been out of this hobby for a few years and only recently returned and gained interest in IEMs due to the popularity of chi-fi. 😅
Yes my first pair of IEM's were JH16 v1 then a few pair of BT IEM's last year to this masterpiece. If I didn't already have a extra amp downstairs I would have to grab one of the new fireflies. As it is my firefly doesn't get as much play time lately as the Arya and LP are usually hooked up balanced.
Tubes definitely impart something special with the FD7 I can't wait until they are fully broken in.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #476 of 1,584
Oct 15, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #477 of 1,584
That's quite the praise for the IE900. HD650 remains one of my favorite headphones. Would you say IE900 is HD650 in IEM form? Eagerly waiting for your comparison to FD7.
I wouldn't count it as a direct successor to the HD650 but rather that it retains the same musical approach while it offers corrected and upgraded performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back