FiiO F9, F9Pro-Detachable MMCX connector,Hi-Res Audio Certified,2.5mm TRRS/3.5mm audio cable
Sep 26, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #556 of 1,544
Glad you didn't take offence.

These are the first true IEMs that I have owned but I have many pairs of standard earphones including the Noise Reducing B&Os and I have to give credit to FiiO in that these F9s are better than all of my earphones. Even if you went ahead and bought them blindly like I did I believe you will be pleasantly surprised.
I wasn't offended at all.

Sadly I went way above my audio budget this month - in addition to the IEMS, which cost about $100 more than I was planning to spend, I also got a FiiO E18 DAC/Amp, which I hadn't intended to get at all. My wallet would have appreciated it if I had just waited for the F9s to be available. Of course, they were available again shortly after I had already blown my budget on the Quad IEMs.

Holly

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #557 of 1,544
Most, if not all DAPs lower the volume by about 6dB when the EQ is activated, for safety reasons, even if nothing is changed (Flat). If this happens with iTunes, you may be just hearing the slightly reduced volume and interpreting that as reduced audio quality?

I've never heard of anything, either hardware or software reducing the audio quality just by activating its EQ.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #558 of 1,544
Most, if not all DAPs lower the volume by about 6dB when the EQ is activated, for safety reasons, even if nothing is changed (Flat). If this happens with iTunes, you may be just hearing the slightly reduced volume and interpreting that as reduced audio quality?

I've never heard of anything, either hardware or software reducing the audio quality just by activating its EQ.

I did not know that EQs reduce the dB by design, this may well be what I am perceiving. I have always stayed way from EQs because of this, I will wait and see if I pick up that high shrill that everyone is talking about, and if I do I will try the EQ as suggested.

Thanks.

Sep 26, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #559 of 1,544

Sadly I went way above my audio budget this month - in addition to the IEMS, which cost about $100 more than I was planning to spend, I also got a FiiO E18 DAC/Amp, which I hadn't intended to get at all. My wallet would have appreciated it if I had just waited for the F9s to be available. Of course, they were available again shortly after I had already blown my budget on the Quad IEMs.

Holly

Tell me about it, I have to hide my headphones and earphones from the family as I am always being told off for buying them.

Sep 26, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #560 of 1,544
No worries. I really don't know if software does this dB drop, but DAPs definitely do.

For the record though, even though I'm a bit treble sensitive, I can happily listen to the F9 with no EQ on good recordings with my FiiO X7ii.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #561 of 1,544
No worries. I really don't know if software does this dB drop, but DAPs definitely do.
EQu for IOS reduces gain when eq is applied, though you can raise the overall eq'd gain using multi-touch. I try to find the highest gain that doesn't induce clipping. Equalizer for iOS has a dynamic-gain function, but far fewer bands can be tweaked in that app.

Sep 26, 2017 at 8:02 PM Post #563 of 1,544

Holly

Morning Holly...thanks'for the laugh...:wink:

Sep 27, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #567 of 1,544
I get so frustrated with the official FiiO forum. They always seem to misread your question. Here's the question I asked:

"There is a bit of a discussion on Head-fi.org going on regarding F9 tips. The question is, which tips are the bass tips? Is it the colour matched tips (Red or Black) or the opaque tips?"

Pretty straightforward, don't you agree. Here's the answer:

"The all black ones should have more bass, and the matched colored ones should be more balanced."

Right. The red and black tips ARE the colour matched tips! You get either colour depending on the colour of your IEMs. Then both colours of F9 get the opaque tips that have slightly larger openings. So I still don't know the answer!

Just for clarity, here are the tips I got with my red F9's. Notice the total lack of black tips!!!!

IMG_1386.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2017 at 11:49 AM Post #568 of 1,544
I get so frustrated with the official FiiO forum. They always seem to misread your question. Here's the question I asked:

"There is a bit of a discussion on Head-fi.org going on regarding F9 tips. The question is, which tips are the bass tips? Is it the colour matched tips (Red or Black) or the opaque tips?"

"The all black ones should have more bass, and the matched colored ones should be more balanced."

Right. The red and black tips ARE the colour matched tips! You get either colour depending on the colour of your IEMs. Then both colours of F9 get the opaque tips that have slightly larger openings. So I still don't know the answer!

Just for clarity, here are the tips I got with my red F9's. Notice the total lack of black tips!!!!

I have the same tips I think my hearing hears more base with the ones on the right of you picture, if that helps?

Sep 27, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #570 of 1,544

LOL! It's pretty awesome to see that if you search "fiio f9 eartips" in Google, one of my images is the first result.

Anyways, regarding your question......you've got the F9, so you've got both sets of tips. So why not listen to each for yourself and see which gives you an elevated bass response?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back