FiiO F9, F9Pro-Detachable MMCX connector,Hi-Res Audio Certified,2.5mm TRRS/3.5mm audio cable
Sep 29, 2017 at 7:04 AM Post #586 of 1,544
Whose graph is that? And what are the red and yellow representing please.

The point I was making George is that its OK for you to say the peak is tolerable (even enjoyable) for you as long as you qualify your normal preferences. Saying there is no peak is misleading. Likewise, saying they leak isn't helpful unless you qualify it with how loud you have them.

And the RE800 vs F9 looks like this:
f9 re800.png

The reason the RE800 sound peakier is flatter bass, higher peak, and upper mids peak later. That 3-4 kHz area also enhances or adds to the harmonics at 7-8 kHz, so you get a double whammy.

Sep 29, 2017 at 7:30 AM Post #587 of 1,544

The point I was making George is that its OK for you to say the peak is tolerable (even enjoyable) for you as long as you qualify your normal preferences. Saying there is no peak is misleading. Likewise, saying they leak isn't helpful unless you qualify it with how loud you have them.

The reason the RE800 sound peakier is flatter bass, higher peak, and upper mids peak later. That 3-4 kHz area also enhances or adds to the harmonics at 7-8 kHz, so you get a double whammy.

That's interesting!

The curve I posed earlier was to show that if you cover up the bass port on RE-800, they have a much stronger bass - someone was listening to them and was hearing them with very big bass, and most people heard a small bass, and there was some debate over the reason why.

I see your point about the peak actually, I guess I'll have to admit that there is some peak (It is visible after all!!) and write it as such in my full-length review, but mention that I enjoy them greatly with it. The thing is that somehow I rather hear them bright or energetic, but not peaky, I don't know if this meakes sense. I had peaky headphones before, hot treble, and such, where it was easily too much for me. Well, I guess I just like brighter signatures.

Also new IEM bias right might be there right now, this is why I take time to listen to things, I'm sure you had them for long enough to know better than me, and I'm pretty sure I'll hear things once I listen more to them. It tends to always be this way with everything audio related :smile_phones:

Sep 29, 2017 at 8:30 AM Post #588 of 1,544
George

Might pay for you to qualify this a bit. Saying there is no peak is misleading - as I know you like treble a lot of us find too intense. Unless you got a pair with vastly different QC / tuning to others, the peak is there, and its measurable. Do a tone sweep, and you'll hear it. It may be tolerable to you - but saying there is no peak is wrong.

Also - how loud are you listening and what tips are you using? I can sit beside my wife (who has incredible hearing), and at 70-75dB in a relatively quiet room (just an aircon in the background) she can't hear them. I have to be well over 80dB for it to be audible. Tips used are Comply.

Oh and here is the measured peak:
9935060_l.png

You are welcome to use the graph in your review if you want.

What am I supposed to be hearing with this peak?

I asked this of another user who was saying that the F9 was too peaky and tiring, but I am with George on this in that I cannot hear it.

I am very sensitive to high frequencies, this was proved in a sound booth test for my old job and my Mother's hearing aid is always giving me head pains as it whistles and whines everytime she moves.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #590 of 1,544

I asked this of another user who was saying that the F9 was too peaky and tiring, but I am with George on this in that I cannot hear it.

I am very sensitive to high frequencies, this was proved in a sound booth test for my old job and my Mother's hearing aid is always giving me head pains as it whistles and whines everytime she moves.

Basically, the top end is pretty energetic. It seems like some people aren't fully comfortable with it, and that is fine - we should remember that evebody's ears are constructed differently, so we all hear at least a bit different. My wife is fairly sensitive to treble and she heard F9 pretty okay as well, but I can imagine some people looking for a more relaxed sound. It really boils down to the music you're listening to as well - I listen upbeat, fast, energetic music. Slow music is the least in my playlist and this is probably why I'm always looking for an energetic and vibrant sound - I feel relieved when something has a strong top end, because I can enjoy it. Recently I was considering UM Maritan for the same reason, energetic and vibrant sound :darthsmile:

F9 ain't really smooth in my book, but they aren't kinera H3 bright, nor RE-800 peaky either :smile_phones:

Sep 29, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #591 of 1,544
Basically, the top end is pretty energetic. It seems like some people aren't fully comfortable with it, and that is fine - we should remember that evebody's ears are constructed differently, so we all hear at least a bit different. My wife is fairly sensitive to treble and she heard F9 pretty okay as well, but I can imagine some people looking for a more relaxed sound. It really boils down to the music you're listening to as well - I listen upbeat, fast, energetic music. Slow music is the least in my playlist and this is probably why I'm always looking for an energetic and vibrant sound - I feel relieved when something has a strong top end, because I can enjoy it. Recently I was considering UM Maritan for the same reason, energetic and vibrant sound :darthsmile:

F9 ain't really smooth in my book, but they aren't kinera H3 bright, nor RE-800 peaky either :smile_phones:

For me the F9 sounds very bright and clear, I cannot stand muddy sounding headphones like the Beats. As I said vocals come through very clear on the F9 and when Bass kicks in, they handle it without distortion. After many headphones I found my favourite pairing with the X5III is the relatively inexpensive B&O Beoplay H6.

For me, the F9 sounds very much like my H6 plugged into my ears, if the standard F9 sounds this good I cannot wait to find out what the PRO version sounds like.

Edit:

I forgot to say, I am mainly into Rock, Alt Rock and some Blues, so I like my instrumentals and vocals clear and strong.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #592 of 1,544

Further testing this with more music and more sources, I can hear the peak now :dt880smile:

Seems that I couldn't hear it at first, but now it is evident why and where it is. Didn't take that much :triportsad:

Now I fully understand Paul's review on them and why he said that they make everythiung so well, yet this thing brings them down.

For me the F9 sounds very bright and clear, I cannot stand muddy sounding headphones like the Beats. As I said vocals come through very clear on the F9 and when Bass kicks in, they handle it without distortion. After many headphones I found my favourite pairing with the X5III is the relatively inexpensive B&O Beoplay H6.

For me, the F9 sounds very much like my H6 plugged into my ears, if the standard F9 sounds this good I cannot wait to find out what the PRO version sounds like.

That explains a lot about why you hear them without the peak - X5-3 is really non-fatiguing and smooth as a DAP :gs1000smile:

Sep 29, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #594 of 1,544
Further testing this with more music and more sources, I can hear the peak now :dt880smile:

Seems that I couldn't hear it at first, but now it is evident why and where it is. Didn't take that much :triportsad:

Now I fully understand Paul's review on them and why he said that they make everythiung so well, yet this thing brings them down.

That explains a lot about why you hear them without the peak - X5-3 is really non-fatiguing and smooth as a DAP :gs1000smile:

Okay, I might have to put some music back on my phone to see if they sound any different, but then again maybe I don't want to do that as it may ruin them for me.

Sep 29, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #595 of 1,544
Okay, I might have to put some music back on my phone to see if they sound any different, but then again maybe I don't want to do that as it may ruin them for me.

It is okay, you don't have to hear it. They are great and I imagine that with X5-3 you're left with a really comfortable sound.

I had to because @Brooko knows his music and his IEMs and if I heard something different, I knew I'll probably come around, seems I did faster than I thought :darthsmile:

Sep 29, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #596 of 1,544
Thank you for the detailed response.

Earphone tips and earphone comfort are something that varies from person to person. This is something that only you can tell. What I can tell you is that the Fiio F9 sits comfortably inside your inner ear and that in itself should keep them from popping out. They are one of the most comfortable earphones I have ever used.

I like the sound of that. Hopefully they fit into my inner ear as well.
I'll experiment with tip after I give them a go.

From what I could discern from the Frequency Response of the XBA-1 I think the Fiio F9 will offer a similar'ish type of sound with a couple of differences. If I'm not mistaken I think the XBA-1 would have stronger bass than the F9 but less treble response, or less aggressive treble response. The Fiio F9 should sound more balanced and the highs a bit brighter but this is a bit speculative in my part since I was unable to find measures. If you like the warmness and strong bass of the XBA-1 I think that there are options that you might appreciate more than the F9, but if you would prefer a bit more balanced sound signature, the F9 should please you.

I did like how the xba-1 was more clear and balanced than the sub $20 IEMs I kept going through on a monthly, so I may enjoy the F9.
The genre I listen varies, so I figure something more balanced would be the better option.

If you want recommendations on an earphone or line or earphones that might sound a bit more similar to the XBA-1, I would point you towards the TFZ line of earphones which has some models that are well regarded for that characteristic.

TFZ looks interesting. I may grab an entry level pair when I got some cash to spare.
Would be good to have some verity.

I hope this answers your questions.

It answered them all. Thanks. Very much appreciated.
Hopefully the shop has them in stock and I can pick it up today.
If the fit perfectly, it'd be a life saver.
Rush hour is dreadful without music to zone me out lol

Sep 29, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #597 of 1,544

Try playing something with a lot of cymbal, and if you can, listen with the F9 and then compare with a more completely neutral IEM, headphone or earbud. It is quite easy to become acclimatised quickly to the peak - but when a track is there with a lot of energy in the 7-8kHz area (cymbals) I get more of a tzzzzz than a tishhhhhh.

Once you recognise it’s there, it’s impossible to miss. Most of the time it completely ok for me - but just there with the odd track. Simple EQ down about 3-4 dB at 8kHz on FiiO devices removes it.

Sep 29, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #598 of 1,544
Try playing something with a lot of cymbal, and if you can, listen with the F9 and then compare with a more completely neutral IEM, headphone or earbud. It is quite easy to become acclimatised quickly to the peak - but when a track is there with a lot of energy in the 7-8kHz area (cymbals) I get more of a tzzzzz than a tishhhhhh.

Once you recognise it’s there, it’s impossible to miss. Most of the time it completely ok for me - but just there with the odd track. Simple EQ down about 3-4 dB at 8kHz on FiiO devices removes it.

I actually hear it all the time now :darthsmile:

Well, I fully understand your words now. Since my music is mostly metal, it has tons of energy up there, so the peak is somewhat proeminent.

Sep 29, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #599 of 1,544

Thanks, thankfully I have not noticed it yet, that may be due to the X5III as George suggested or the music I listen to. If it does become noticeable I may try the EQ again, but I prefer to stay away from EQs as I don't like messing with the sound.

Sep 29, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #600 of 1,544
No probs - for anyone who likes a brighter sheen to the top end (eg George) they probably will prefer to leave as-is. I was just pointing out the peak so that others know what to EQ and how to null it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back