FiiO F9, F9Pro-Detachable MMCX connector,Hi-Res Audio Certified,2.5mm TRRS/3.5mm audio cable
Sep 20, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #496 of 1,544
That is a big disappointment. Was really excited about the f9s

I also agree with what another member(Brooko) said above. What I said was a very generalized first impression on the F9, no burn in what so ever and I also mentioned that I received them just yesterday and used them to sleep. So you shouldn't be disappointed already :). I never said I was disappointed with them, in fact I do like them and it will be staying in my collection. Whenever you compare between IEM's you also need to remember the price point and what you're getting (packaging, comfort, sound quality, accessories [except the stock tips], build quality, and the warranty). So I will state it now before someone else misunderstands, the Fiio F9 is great for the price of $99 shipped with Amazon Prime.

Sitting here at work and enjoying them.
This is my fun and cheap go-to set up whenever I go to work. I ended up using the stock LZ A4 cable without the formed bend because I constantly have to take them out whenever I need to talk, and I also didn't want to use 'silver cable' and make them 'brighter'. I also don't believe amping them is necessary but I like having complete control over the volume by using dials instead of adjustments via buttons. And there's no problem with giving them more power as long as you don't overdo it :).

IMG_0823.JPG

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #497 of 1,544
I also agree with what another member(Brooko) said above. What I said was a very generalized first impression on the F9, no burn in what so ever and I also mentioned that I received them just yesterday and used them to sleep. So you shouldn't be disappointed already :). I never said I was disappointed with them, in fact I do like them and it will be staying in my collection. Whenever you compare between IEM's you also need to remember the price point and what you're getting (packaging, comfort, sound quality, accessories [except the stock tips], build quality, and the warranty). So I will state it now before someone else misunderstands, the Fiio F9 is great for the price of $99 shipped with Amazon Prime.

This is my fun and cheap go-to set up whenever I go to work. I ended up using the stock LZ A4 cable without the formed bend because I constantly have to take them out whenever I need to talk, and I also didn't want to use 'silver cable' and make them 'brighter'. I also don't believe amping them is necessary but I like having complete control over the volume by using dials instead of adjustments via buttons. And there's no problem with giving them more power as long as you don't overdo it :).

Brooko seems to think that burn in isn't actually a thing. I dont have enough experience to comment on that but what can say is there is such a thing as 'mental burn in' where you get used to the sound.
I was expecting the f9 to be quite balance with a slight u shape. To me sound quality and durability comes way above all other things. I would love to hear your further impressions of the f9

Sep 21, 2017 at 7:10 AM Post #498 of 1,544
Brooko seems to think that burn in isn't actually a thing. I dont have enough experience to comment on that but what can say is there is such a thing as 'mental burn in' where you get used to the sound.
I was expecting the f9 to be quite balance with a slight u shape. To me sound quality and durability comes way above all other things. I would love to hear your further impressions of the f9

Mental burn-in surely is a thing and will have a huge impact on anything.

I really want to hear F9 sooner, I already have Kinera H3 and I'm loving their bright and energetic sound. Given Paul's comments on F9, I kinda expect F9 to also be an energetic and vibrant IEM

Sep 21, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #501 of 1,544
Very comfy
Most isolating IEM I have had. Blocks out everything before the music even starts
yes, but our distributors/agents told us that there are lots of mmcx cables so we have to use MMCX connector so customers can buy other cable.

I like the mmcx cables. I have many kinds, many customs and have never had a set of loose ones besides a set from Trinity which came that way. 2 pin is too fragile. mmcx!! O.K. :)

Just got my F9's. They are great. The cable is very comfortable around the ear.

Even better balanced :ksc75smile:
20170921_145915.jpg

Sep 21, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #502 of 1,544
Sounds interesting but it's only supporting cable up so I'll wait until a cable down version is just as good value. I wonder though if most top models use the cable up configuration because highly detailed and clarity earphones are prone to microphonics. I would use cable up earphones for bluetooth applications, but I would match the bluetooth cable performance with the earphone's.

Sep 21, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #504 of 1,544

Just for the record where is that case from? :p It would be a great pair for my Red F9s :p

Sep 21, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #505 of 1,544
Just for the record where is that case from? :p It would be a great pair for my Red F9s :p

Fiio red case amazon they are very good I have three of them, no sign of the zip giving up on them after 18 months, they are not waterpoof though.

Sep 22, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #506 of 1,544

FiiO HS7 is the actual name of the product, I purchased mine off Amazon. You can purchase them off eBay/AliExpress also, but there are a lot of bad quality knock off floating around eBay/AliExpress so just make sure you're getting the real one or at least a good copy.

Been using the FiiO F9 for the past 3 days and I've been loving them. Once again I'd like to emphasize that they're lightweight, comfortable, without sacrificing the build quality. They may not beat the LZ A4, and in FiiO's defense - the LZ A4 do cost quite a bit more than the F9. In terms of being a daily IEM, I'd take the FiiO F9 over the LZ A4. I can't use the LZ A4 for extended periods because they're bulky, heavy, weak isolation, and not comfortable due to its odd design.

Sep 22, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #508 of 1,544
I'm not a fan of cables with memory wire. Can anyone tell me if the Westone epic cables will work with these ??

If you choose one with MMCX connection, the W series are well made.

Sep 22, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #509 of 1,544
I just got the PonoPlayer to do balanced audio, got a good discount and sounds amazing. Unfortunately I discovered it's not 2.5mm TRRS. I would like to keep the Pono instead of changing to another DAP, since I'm happy with the sound so far. Is there any PHA-3/Pono balanced cable that would most likely fit? I found Surf Cables makes one, and they also make a PHA-3 to 2.5mm TRRS adapter cable. Their IEM cable looks to have blocky MMCX connectors, maybe would not fit the F9's? Are there any other cable makers making PHA-3/Pono MMCX cables that would most likely fit, or should I try the Surf Cables adapter with Fiio balanced cable? Budget is $100ish.

Just want to confirm the SurfCable MMCX connectors fit the F9 easily. Don't notice much difference with these cables/balanced. Seems like I do need to turn the volume up 1 extra click for same volume as stock non-balanced cable, maybe due to different cable materials? Still sounds fantastic and cool to be using balanced. Not testing the cable in best listening environment for disclosure, mostly commenting that it fits.

Rock on!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back