FiiO F9, F9Pro-Detachable MMCX connector,Hi-Res Audio Certified,2.5mm TRRS/3.5mm audio cable
Sep 4, 2017 at 5:55 AM Post #331 of 1,544
Just bought the F9 (MMCX) to be used with my Westone Bluetooth cable.

Although this may not be an appropriate comparison; how does the F9 Hybrid compare to the Shure SE846?

Thanks

That's a slightly unfair comparison I think... we're talking about a 10x price hike.... however, one of our most well-regarded members did make this comparison on this thread:

If these had been around and I got to try them before I bought the SE535 quite a few years ago, I would have been completely happy with the F9, and wouldn't have bothered with the Shure. Definitely worth more than FiiO is asking for them.

Sep 4, 2017 at 6:47 AM Post #332 of 1,544
Thanks, For sure an Unfair comparison
I own the SE846 as well, but was afraid to connect these costly earbuds on the Westone Bluetooth Cable. That's why I was looking for the most effective earbuds for that. Currently I use my SE215 buds connected there, but the SQ is limited (to say the least)

Sep 4, 2017 at 10:04 AM Post #333 of 1,544
That's a slightly unfair comparison I think... we're talking about a 10x price hike.... however, one of our most well-regarded members did make this comparison on this thread:

I don't think that would be an unfair comparison. I get what you're saying about the price....but such comparisons are useful to remind us about diminishing returns, often revealing just how valuable a great performing and budget-friendly item can be.

A bit like comparing a Nissan GT-R to a LaFerrari... Sure, the Italian is gonna win, but you'd be surprised how small that gap is given the large price gap

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #334 of 1,544
I don't think that would be an unfair comparison. I get what you're saying about the price....but such comparisons are useful to remind us about diminishing returns, often revealing just how valuable a great performing and budget-friendly item can be.

The problem with the value-for-money is that it's a moving target that changes on a month by month basis and from one person to the another. For me a budget earphone is something that is below $40. For others, it's something that's below $300. I can't speak for everyone else, but if I'm used to the sound quality of a... $300 headphone and I need to replace it, I will first look at other earphones around that price point. When people are used to a certain level of sound quality they usually don't look at earphones below it therefore I think it would be hard to find someone outside of a professional reviewer or enthusiast that is both interested in a $100 earphone and a $1000 one.

I completely agree with you that the comparison would be useful, but I also think it would be unrealistic to expect one outside of sheer luck.

If Brooko says that the Fiio F9 are almost as good as, or good enough to replace, a Shure 535, which are on Innerfidelity's wall of fame, to me that's endorsement or proof enough that they offer great value. A fifth of the cost for almost the same type of quality as one of the best regarded earphones in a much higher price point.

Sep 4, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #335 of 1,544

A bit like comparing a Nissan GT-R to a LaFerrari... Sure, the Italian is gonna win, but you'd be surprised how small that gap is given the large price gap

I'm not sure how to take this, but if one has GTR, surely it will be enough to not lust for a LaFerrari anymore... At least I think so.

Sep 4, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #336 of 1,544
@Brooko - I understand about the tips. I have very little experience with IEMs - one pair that I have very seldom used - and have never experimented with different ear tips. Time to find out for myself! I will of course try whatever stock tips come...with whatever IEMs I actually end up with.

To my sorrow I received an email from Penon Audio letting me know that, even though they sent me a confirmation email for my order, they are out of stock. Guess I didn't get the last pair after all, lol. Sad news for me. It's all about timing!

I am going to give a closer look at the 1More Triple Driver. The F9SE might do but I, too, like the idea of having easily changed cables. The F9 just seems like a better deal for someone like me on a limited budget. Still interested in the F9 but the 1More Triple is beckoning.

Hi @JamesFiiO ,

Quick question; if the SE does not have a removeable cable, why is the price the same as the normal F9? Seeing as less is being included with the SE version, should it not be slightly cheaper?

Though JamesFiio said in his response that the F9SE was being sold for $89.99 in the USA, the FiiO Aliexpress store still shows the price as being $99.99. ???

Holly

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #337 of 1,544
@BrookoThough JamesFiio said in his response that the F9SE was being sold for $89.99 in the USA, the FiiO Aliexpress store still shows the price as being $99.99. ???Holly

It's worth keeping in mind that the Aliexpress store ships from China and includes free DHL shipping in the price.

Sep 4, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #338 of 1,544
It's worth keeping in mind that the Aliexpress store ships from China and includes free DHL shipping in the price.
I misunderstood what JamesFiiO was saying - DOH - and forgot that shipping was included. Good reminder!

Except not having a detachable cable, is the F9 SE IEM the same as the F9 sound and comfort wise? From the comparison stats listed on the FiiO site, they appear to be exactly the same but I haven't found any actual reviews of the SE version and I don't want to make assumptions.

Holly

Sep 4, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #339 of 1,544
Though JamesFiio said in his response that the F9SE was being sold for $89.99 in the USA, the FiiO Aliexpress store still shows the price as being $99.99. ???

Holly

Yup, it's because of that price on Ali that I asked my initial question

Sep 4, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #340 of 1,544
Yup, it's because of that price on Ali that I asked my initial question
After I posted my comment, I realized that what James meant was that if you bought the F9SE from a USA vendor - of which there are a total of ZERO at this time, lol - the price would be $89.99. Aliexpress is not a USA vendor, thus their price is $99.99.

Holly

Sep 4, 2017 at 2:41 PM Post #341 of 1,544
I just purchased the F9 in black for £89.00 from Amazon UK, this is the first time that I have seen them there.

They have both red and black in stock sold by AVShop and fulfilled by Amazon, however, Prime delivery is 3 days due to where they are located.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #342 of 1,544
I just purchased the F9 in black for £89.00 from Amazon UK, this is the first time that I have seen them there.

They have both red and black in stock sold by AVShop and fulfilled by Amazon, however, Prime delivery is 3 days due to where they are located.
Congratulations! Look forward to hearing what you think of them.

They aren't even offered on Amazon's USA site. I actually tried to order them on the UK site but it said the item wasn't deliverable to my address; apparently AVShop doesn't sell to folks in the USA. :frowning2:

I should never have checked on Head-fi for recommendations, lol; it seems I always get teased with the unobtainable!

Holly

Sep 4, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #343 of 1,544
Congratulations! Look forward to hearing what you think of them.

They aren't even offered on Amazon's USA site. I actually tried to order them on the UK site but it said the item wasn't deliverable to my address; apparently AVShop doesn't sell to folks in the USA. :frowning2:

I should never have checked on Head-fi for recommendations, lol; it seems I always get teased with the unobtainable!

Holly

Sorry that they will not deliver to the US. It is usually us in the UK who have problems with items being delivered from overseas.

I was originally holding out for the F9 Pro as they are supposed to be better, but at £89.00 I will keep them as a backup pair when the F9 Pro comes out.

I was going to buy the F5 before these were announced, I guess Fiio have killed off their F5 sales by introducing the F9 so soon after the F5.

Sep 4, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #344 of 1,544
Sorry that they will not deliver to the US. It is usually us in the UK who have problems with items being delivered from overseas.

I was originally holding out for the F9 Pro as they are supposed to be better, but at £89.00 I will keep them as a backup pair when the F9 Pro comes out.

I was going to buy the F5 before these were announced, I guess Fiio have killed off their F5 sales by introducing the F9 so soon after the F5.

They'll probably introduce an F7 at some point too...$75-80 perhaps?

Sep 4, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #345 of 1,544
They'll probably introduce an F7 at some point too...$75-80 perhaps?

You realize that the F5 are already at that price point more or less, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back