Fiio E7, Sennheiser HD-25: a good combination??
May 22, 2011 at 5:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

BadaJr

New Head-Fier
Hi,

Because of this forum, I chose and bought Senns HD25 a year ago. It was an amazing improvement from mine Porta Pro and I can say that I just love them. They are indestructible, so well-isolating and just great headphones.
Nonetheless, I feel that I want to get a bit more from them now. That is, I would like to have a recognizable change even for not really audiphile like me. 

After some research, I have chosen Fiio E7, as it is possible for me to use it with my laptop, ipad and ipod, all of which I use frequntly. 

I was just wondering, if anybody here has any advice whether it is a good choice for me or whether there there is anything better within this price range? It seems to me that it can be quite portable - it is ok to have it with nano in my pocket or is it too big?

Thank you very much for any advice,

Tomas 

May 26, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #4 of 29
The HD25's are easy to drive, the Fiio E7 would make a good match..no problem. 

May 29, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #5 of 29
My suggestion is FiiO E11, Power to be shocking,,,,output than much larger amplitude and voltage than E7
smily_headphones1.gif

May 29, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #6 of 29

Quote:
My suggestion is FiiO E11, Power to be shocking,,,,output than much larger amplitude and voltage than E7
smily_headphones1.gif

OP wants to use it with laptop and ipad as well - so he's wanting to use the DAC function.  E11 is an amp only (no DAC) - therefore not really what he wants.

E7 should be fine and is a good size for portability.  It's slightly smaller (footprint), but marginally thicker than an ipod touch.  It will be bigger than your nano though.

May 29, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #8 of 29

Quote:
OP, do you want to use the DAC function with your iPad? I'm not sure if E7 supports iPad DAC.

It can be used with the camera connection kit.

May 30, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #11 of 29
I bought the E7 a while ago with my K240's and the amp function is great, but the DAC isn't that great. I find it to be noisier than the soundcard in my Sony VAIO laptop. Before you buy the E7 you should check the specs on your laptop/tablet and those of the E7 to make sure that the DAC is more capable i.e. can play higher sample rate files. The E11 wasn't available when i bought the E7 but given the choice now i would have definitely gone with the less expensive and more capable E11 amp.

May 30, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #12 of 29

Quote:
I bought the E7 a while ago with my K240's and the amp function is great, but the DAC isn't that great. I find it to be noisier than the soundcard in my Sony VAIO laptop. Before you buy the E7 you should check the specs on your laptop/tablet and those of the E7 to make sure that the DAC is more capable i.e. can play higher sample rate files. The E11 wasn't available when i bought the E7 but given the choice now i would have definitely gone with the less expensive and more capable E11 amp.

Not saying you're wrong - just a different opinion  .....
Most reviews are saying the E7 actually has a very good DAC, and my experience has been that it is very clean compared to the onboard soundcard in my desktop (P5Q Pro mobo) and Asus Netbook.  On the other hand, most reviews also suggest that the E7 amp is also a little weak.  It works great with easy to drive cans, but doesn't have the oomph by itself.

No debate on the higher sample rate.  Next release from Fiio (DAC) is supposed to be E17 which should deliver far higher sample rates.

Personally - I got what I paid for (very happy with the value) with my E7 - great DAC & nice entry level amp for the cans I currently have.  Considering OP wanted something for the HD-25, it should pair well.

May 30, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #13 of 29

Quote:
Eric, going to change from pa2v2? :p

I also using hd25 with my pa2v2 or arrow 3g switching now & then.

Haha, not necessarily changing from. I got the PA2V2 to support Gary, because I respect what he's done for the community. 
Usually use my HD25-1 with my recording interface anyway, not as a portable headphone.

May 31, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #14 of 29
I'm waiting on a pair of shure srh840s, I want the portability and the DAC, would the e7 work? This is my first pair of higher end headphones so I obviously have no experience with amps either. Any input on how much of a difference I would expect if I amped the 840s? I'm trying to hold off on buying an amp/dac until I physically get and listen to the headphones but I have a lot of interest in driving the sound to a higher potential when I do get them.

May 31, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #15 of 29
I really hope you are joking and are not intending to power the HD800 with your E7s. The E11s dont even have enough power to power my pair of HD650s so using it for an HD800 seems crazy.

Quote:
I think it's not just the Fiio E7 good combination with Sennheiser HD-25, but it's a good combination with other brands such as Sennheiser HD800 my enchantment is now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back