FiiO E7 Review.
May 8, 2012 at 10:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

pkurk

New Head-Fier
I know there have probably been about 1000 of these on there, but i figure why not one more opinion.

To start off, in case you were debating buying one of these, if you dont have an amp, BUY IT.  The difference is uncanny.  So i'm going to break this down into 2 categories, audio quality and portability/convenience. I'm listening to these with Shure SRH840s

1.  Audio quality is amazing.  I've listened to every genre i can think of with this thing in the past 2 days and it brings the music to life without a doubt.  I say with confidence it brings out things in every song you've never heard before.  Stuff that i've even identified while passively listening.  Most of my music is 190kbps nothing lower.  The bass boost on the EQ has 4 levels 0-3, you definitely DO notice a difference when using this, however its not too intensely drastic.  Noticeable, but not mindblowing change between the levels.  Personally ive been listening to everything on 0 or 1 if its rap/electro/dubstep.  Personally i like my bass a bit tighter on my Shures, a little more controlled.  Shures are NOT known for their bass impact, theyre really flat and honest, and let me say that when i listen to dubstep with these cans and the FiiO E7 i can feel the bass on my head, its meaty, healthy, clean and AWESOME!  I didnt know my headphones could sound like they do until i got this little toy.  The subtle things i think are what surprised me the most.  Some little instruments in the background especially on Animal Collective tracks, surprised me the most.  Made some songs sound like new songs.  It keeps the highs, mids and bass healthy and clean with strong detail.

2.  The amp itself, is small, sleek, light, and very portable.  Personally when i commute to and from work, i put my ipod, or android in a bag i carry on my side and let the giant cord of my shure SRH840s sit in there so i dont have to worry about it being in my pockets and all messy.  So adding this small little device is no difference to me regarding portability.  However, I have traveled around with it in my pocket and it isnt much of a difference with an ipod.  The E7 is just roughly the same as an Iphone, so put your ipod ontop of that and see what it looks like.  Plus the device comes with a rubber band that holds the two devices together snugly.  So I give this a definite YES.  So if youre worrying about it being portable or inconvenient, dont.

Overall, i highly recommend this device.  Before you go waste money on another set of cans, spend the 80 or 90 dollars on this and you'll feel like you bought a bunch of new gear if you DONT already own an amp.  There probably are other amps out there that are much much better, just considering price and quality.  However, overall, considering the price, size, portability, look, audio quality, 80 HOUR BATTERY LIFE!, this thing is hard to ignore if youre looking to spend money and are in the market for an amp.

So YES, buy this if youre in the market for a totally solid little amp to take to and from work or school.

Jun 5, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #5 of 15
hi, just a question... if I plug the e7 in the ipod... will the ipod be using the e7 dac...? or will it bypass the dac and just use the amp portion of the e7..? I thought I read somewhere that only when it's connected to the computer usb will the dac be activated... otherwise if the connection is through the cable in of the e7 only the amp of the e7 will be used.. thanks

Jun 5, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:
hi, just a question... if I plug the e7 in the ipod... will the ipod be using the e7 dac...? or will it bypass the dac and just use the amp portion of the e7..? I thought I read somewhere that only when it's connected to the computer usb will the dac be activated... otherwise if the connection is through the cable in of the e7 only the amp of the e7 will be used.. thanks

If you are using the E7 with an iPod, you will be using the iPod DAC.

Jun 6, 2012 at 9:34 AM Post #7 of 15

Thats correct. The e7 will only function as a dac when plugged into the computer via usb. Under all other circumstances it functions as an amp.

Jun 6, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #8 of 15
Hi everyone, my first post in this forum. As a newbie to the whole portable amp world I was going to ask exactly the same question as buencamino. So now I know that my E7 isn't acting as a DAC when plugged into the dock of my iPhone 4S, my question has to be, what benefits am I gaining from having it plugged inline at all? I'm using a pair of Bowers and Wilkins on ear phones that I got from Apple.
Sorry if this is a really stupid question, but I genuinely thought the E7 was acting as a DAC. Sadly the manual is so poor I couldn't see it for myself.
Thanks
Gledders

Jun 6, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:
Hi everyone, my first post in this forum. As a newbie to the whole portable amp world I was going to ask exactly the same question as buencamino. So now I know that my E7 isn't acting as a DAC when plugged into the dock of my iPhone 4S, my question has to be, what benefits am I gaining from having it plugged inline at all? I'm using a pair of Bowers and Wilkins on ear phones that I got from Apple.
Sorry if this is a really stupid question, but I genuinely thought the E7 was acting as a DAC. Sadly the manual is so poor I couldn't see it for myself.
Thanks
Gledders

It would be acting as the amplifier then. If you find that your headphones are not providing enough volume and you find that you are turning up the volume to the highest setting on the iPhone and still not satisfied, an external amplifier will be able to provide the extra "boost" that you need.

Jun 7, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #10 of 15
Hi All, I've been looking at both the Fiio E7 & E11. (I have a 80G iPod Classic with Audio Technica ATH-ES7 headphones). And I must aslo add that the Fiio website is shocking in regards to information. Anyway, from what I can gather is that the E7 won't work as a DAC if connected to your MP3 player's 3.5mm headphone jack. It needs to be connected to a USB, right?

Question: What if I connect the E7 to the iPod's 30pin connector? Would that not make it function as a DAC?

So basically that leaves the E11 to be used as a portable amp.

Thanks.

Jun 7, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:
Question: What if I connect the E7 to the iPod's 30pin connector? Would that not make it function as a DAC?

So basically that leaves the E11 to be used as a portable amp.

Thanks.

If you connect the E7 to the iPod 30 pin via an L9, for example, the E7 DAC will not be used. Only the amplifier will be used in this case.

Jun 8, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:
Thank you.

Are there any DAC + Amplifier units compatible with the iPod classic?

I might just get a E11 and have done.

What do you mean compatible? You can still use the E7 or E17 as an amplifier (much the same way the E11, which is only an amplifier would be used). When plugged into a computer, you could use the E7 or E17 DAC as normal.

If you are just looking for an amplifier, then the E11 is fine too.

If you are looking for a DAC that can bypass the iPod's DAC, there are only a few options, and they are relatively expensive.

Jul 4, 2012 at 9:25 AM Post #14 of 15
My E7 just arrived yesterday and immediately noticed i was missing some fine details in most of the music before using this wonderful DAC/headphone amp.   The bas becomes more defined with added punch, and the highs are extended.

The second headphone output could be used to connect a pair powered speakers, an amp/preamp without any issues.    

Users who are viewing this thread

Back