FiiO E7 Review
Jun 16, 2010 at 5:18 AM Post #46 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcpk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

As stated earlier, the E7 can not turn your headphones or earphones into something they are not. The E7 should improve most 'phones noticeably but if there is not a solid foundation for it to improve on, your money may be better spent investing in a better pair. With the exception of heavily-discounted earphones like the Head-Direct RE0, at this end of the budget spectrum a more dramatic improvement would probably be noticed with an upgrade in 'phones than insertion of an amplifier into your audio setup. 

This is so true. It's great that you put that part in there, very important for the noobs to understand. 

Jun 16, 2010 at 8:04 AM Post #48 of 79
It would help, but don't let it get the in the way of a headphone upgrade. 
tongue.gif

Jul 1, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #50 of 79
Sorry for asking, If I buy the FiiO E7 I won't need to buy a sound card like the Asus Xonar Essence? It will by-pass the built-in sound card of the motherboard? Because I'm building a mini-itx system without pci slots.

Jul 1, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #51 of 79

Quote:
Sorry for asking, If I buy the FiiO E7 I won't need to buy a sound card like the Asus Xonar Essence? It will by-pass the built-in sound card of the motherboard? Because I'm building a mini-itx system without pci slots.

Yes it would bypass the internal sound card and essentially, the E7 will be the sound card being used

Jul 8, 2010 at 7:14 PM Post #54 of 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiddenninja 

So...would this also improve the Audio Technica ATH-AD700's?

the general consensus says amps barely help the ad700 at all

Jul 9, 2010 at 2:09 PM Post #55 of 79
The E7 is a fairly transparent amp with a flat frequency response, decent channel separation, and low noise, low distortion. Also, due to its very low output impedance, it is also indifferent to headphones with wildly varying impedance curves. So whatever characteristics that the AD700 has, or any other headphones for that matter,  it's probably faithfully preserved.

With the bass EQ, you can inject some good quality bass boost, which can help with lean sounding headphones.

If someone is looking more for a "euphonic" sounding amp to achieve synergies with specific characteristics of a particular headphone, then a more colorful amp would be a better choice. There is no right or wrong answer, IMO, it all depends what someone is looking for.

Aug 4, 2010 at 10:10 AM Post #56 of 79

Quote:
So...would this also improve the Audio Technica ATH-AD700's?

The Nuforce uDAC's hp out would be the better choice for the AD700's to give them a nice lift in their otherwise thin midrange.

Mar 10, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #57 of 79
This is my first time posting and I am a frustrated audiophile. I have a MAC Book Pro and I was thinking of buying the FiiO E7 as a first step to improve my audio. I am currently running the laptop through Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 powered speakers. I currently don't do much listening through headphones while I am at my desk. Would there be any advantage in buying the FiiO E9, and would the Klipsch system be able to be powered by the amp too? I am also in the process of auditioning the iTunes compatible FLAC players to help in my quest for better sounding music...

Thanks for the tolerance in the lack of my knowledge...

Mar 11, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #58 of 79
Anyone have static issues with the E7?  I'm trying to figure out what causes this static and all I can narrow it down to is movement.  But even the slightest movement may cause static (not all the time).

Mar 11, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #59 of 79
hard to answer without knowing what kind of phones you have.  Is there a point in the e9 with this setup?  Not if the e7 sufficiently powers your headphones.  Can the e9 power your speakers?  No.  Besides it only has pre-outs on it (no powered outs except the headphones).  But I use the pre-outs on my e9 as a preamp to my audioengine speakers - so I always have the volume maxed out on the speakers and the speakers automatically cut out when you plug your HPs in.  However, the e7 does not have line outs or pre-outs so if you want to do the whole preamp thing you will need the e7 and e9.  (plus the extra power might be nice anyway)

I would recommend trying out the e7.  And the only way to use the external DAC (e7) for your speakers is to also get the e9.  Note that the e7 will have a significant update (the e17) by the end of the year but it will cost twice as much.

Quote:
This is my first time posting and I am a frustrated audiophile. I have a MAC Book Pro and I was thinking of buying the FiiO E7 as a first step to improve my audio. I am currently running the laptop through Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 powered speakers. I currently don't do much listening through headphones while I am at my desk. Would there be any advantage in buying the FiiO E9, and would the Klipsch system be able to be powered by the amp too? I am also in the process of auditioning the iTunes compatible FLAC players to help in my quest for better sounding music...

Thanks for the tolerance in the lack of my knowledge...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back