FiiO E7 Review
Apr 14, 2010 at 12:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 79

bcpk

1000+ Head-Fier
header.png

The FiiO E7 portable DAC/Amp unit is a highly-anticipated device from this relatively new budget audio manufacturer. Following the popularity of their E3 and particularly their E5 mini amplifier, FiiO is looking to move into higher performance portable amp territory. Coupled with an internal Digital to Analogue Converter, it is not the first device of its kind, but it is slated to retail for half the price of some of the more popular portable DAC/Amps currently available, making it an interesting proposition for those more money-conscious.

design.jpg

First physical impressions of the E7 are that it is very light. It weighs 85 g compared to the 140 g of the iPod Video it was paired with, but it is still fairly large. The body is constructed of brushed black aluminium while the front is glossy plastic. The back is embossed with the letters "E7". There are four buttons down the left-hand side of the unit for Up, Down, Menu/Enter and Power/Back. The buttons themselves are metallic silver in colour and feel quite solid to press. As well as this, the device does not react to your first keypress, in an attempt to reduce accidental clicks when in a pocket or bag. Over all it feels quite solid and held up well to the couple of weeks of use it went through.

Included in the box :

FiiO E7
Thick rubber band for holding the unit to your player
Velvet pouch (may be replaced by silicone sleeve below)
Mini-B USB cable
3.5mm male-to-male interconnect

The final production model is to include a silicone sleeve allowing operation of the amplifier while being protected.

2010325143441790.jpg

In use :

Due to its combined DAC and Amp internals, the E7 is quite a versatile device. An appreciable amount of care seems to have been taken with the design in terms of inclusion of features, such as a low-power OLED screen, long battery life and USB charging. A particular favourite is is the provision of a second headphone-out jack, which is a very basic yet useful addition. This allows you to demo the amplifier to a friend without breaking your music-listening stride, burn-in a pair of new 'phones while using your current pair or to share sound when watching a movie on your laptop. On the other hand, there has been some consternation about the omission of line-out level output from the E7, meaning it is currently not possible to use solely the DAC component. FiiO's explanation is that users would get confused between the standard headphone-out and and the line-out jack, resulting in possible hearing damage. This reasoning is understandable given the "beginner audiophile" demographic implied by the E7's price. However, it does limit the upgrade path of buyers insofar as they will have to layout for both a DAC and an amp should they wish to step up from this combined unit. The E7 has a proprietary docking port at the bottom which may be used for a line-out in the future, but there is no conformation of such at this stage. Currently this port is to be used to dock the E7 into FiiO's upcoming E9 desktop amp, which seems like a nice tie-in by FiiO from one angle, or a "lock-in" from another.

double_hpo.jpg

Sound :

As a first exposure to amplifiers, the sound of the E7 was certainly impressive. Compared to the headphone-out jack of an iPod Video and Eee PC 1000H netbook, clarity was noticeably improved when used either as solely an amplifier (with the iPod and a Line Out) or as a USB DAC and amp. Of particular note was the effect the E7 had on vocals, giving them greater definition and making sense of muttered verses that had previously been unintelligible. To finally understand a lyric after several years of listening to a track was very pleasing and is probably the characteristic of the E7 to which it is most easy to relate. On a more basic level, the unit supplies plenty of driving power for more demanding portable 'phones. By way of comparison, the Sansa Clip+ required full-volume to drive the 55 Ω Audio-Technica ATH-CK10s to sufficient volume in a busy room, whereas the E7 needed approximately level 12 of 60 to achieve an equivalent volume. Using the E7 with Etymotic ER-4Ps, instrument separation was increased along with a widening of the soundstage. The larger soundstage may well be a side-effect of the sharpening of the ER-4Ps sound, allowing for faint, fading-out sounds to be heard for longer. On the other hand, while granular detail was improved on the Audio-Technica AD700s, soundstage was not greatly affected. Another general positive of the amplifier was the "filling in" effect it had on faint background rhythms. What might have before sounded like one note repeated cyclically, the intervening tune between the prominent note was heard thanks to the E7. Most commonly this occurred with a background guitar where one particular strum is played with greater emphasis and the noodling in between was previously indiscernible.

portable.jpg

Part of the allure of the E7 is its build-in Digital to Analog Converter circuitry. While the iPod Video's Wolfson DAC is said to be of relatively good quality, the DAC of the E7 (also Wolfson) surpassed it. Comparing the two, the improvements are not so dramatic as from the iPod headphone-out to E7 headphone-out, but there was a boost in clarity perceived. The purpose of the DAC is to let the E7 be used essentially as a "sound card" with a computer. Compared to the headphone jack of an Eee PC 1000H, the E7 improved the experience much in the same way it did with the iPod - greater clarity of vocals, increased detail, wider sound. The E7 also reduced the hiss of the headphone out quite noticeably. Compared to the iPod, the E7's hiss is about a third as loud, and perhaps half as loud as the Eee PC. Hiss is roughly the same volume as the FiiO E5. The volume levels themselves go between 0-60. There is plenty of volume left at the upper end of the scale, with the E7 being set somewhere between 10-15 most of the time. However the lowest volume setting is still a little loud, and may not be quiet enough for those wishing to use the E7 to fall asleep with.

usb.jpg

As far as sound equalizing goes, the E7 offers a single modifier - Bass Boost, ranging between 0 and 3. At 0, the E7 sounds quite cold and analytical. Level 1 increases the bass, to a more natural or perhaps slightly warm level. It is probably least noticeable of the settings in terms of colouring the sound. The subsequent levels 2 and 3 are quite curious. Rather than increase the bass level, it seems that they simply "bloat" the lower frequencies without increasing their volume greatly. Effectively the low end sounds less controlled. This is a demo E7 unit and other reviewers have commented on the E7's rather lacklustre Bass Boost option, so hopefully it is an issue that will be addressed before the final production units are released. In any case, Level 1 was used for this review. Care must be taken when discussing Bass Boost, and its potency should not be overplayed; the E7 can not turn a pair of 'phones into something they are not. The AD700s, for instance, gain a welcome impact in the bass department, but this was more a case of concentration of the bass already available rather than any dramatic change in the sound signature. An additional caveat to consider is that the increased clarity provided can be detrimental when paired with poor quality recordings. The sharpness and clarity that was appreciated with high-bitrate source files conversely worked against some lower bitrate songs by making distortion painfully apparent. To draw an analogy, it's like using the Sharpen tool in Photoshop on a noisy photograph; rather than improve the appearance it instead draws attention to artifacting and compression in the picture.

e5_comp.jpg

Pricing :

While the E7 is a relatively inexpensive amplifier, its price tag expected in the region of $85 should give those using cheaper earphones some pause for thought. As stated earlier, the E7 can not turn your headphones or earphones into something they are not. The E7 should improve most 'phones noticeably but if there is not a solid foundation for it to improve on, your money may be better spent investing in a better pair. With the exception of heavily-discounted earphones like the Head-Direct RE0, at this end of the budget spectrum a more dramatic improvement would probably be noticed with an upgrade in 'phones than insertion of an amplifier into your audio setup. Compared to its younger and smaller brethren, the FiiO E5, the E7 is a much more serious device. Price and size are both increased considerably. But, to its credit, the E7 does perform quite a bit better. After spending some time with the E7, the E5 sounded rather congested and lacked the sharp clarity that the E7 brought, as well as having a reduced soundstage.

ad700_ipod.jpg

Conclusion :

The E7 was a pleasing improvement over the headphone-out of the devices it was tested with. It brought nice clarity and separation to the sound save for those times when lower bitrates began to sound a bit hollow. The DAC was an added bonus but is hampered by the current lack of line-out options. The included accessories were nice and the unit seems well made (especially considering this particular unit was assembled by hand). For its price and general handiness, it is a compelling device.

Note : This review was done with a unit from a sample production run. The final appearance may be different (See ClieOS's Impressions) and menu bugs should be fixed.

Testing Tracks :
Bat for Lashes - Glass, Daniel
White Hinterland - Icarus
Mos Def - Hip Hop
Shinichi Osawa - Star Guitar
Radiohead - Reckoner, Harry Patch (In Memory Of)
The Sound Providers - Dope Transmission, Old Times Sake (Ft. Asheru)

Great thanks to Shane @ LambayRules.ie for the loan of the E7 and the opportunity to do my first ever review. Thanks to |joker| for some writing advice, too
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for reading!

Apr 14, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #2 of 79
Nice review. Very useful.

Apr 14, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #6 of 79
Is there any place we can preorder it from? Looks like Dealextreme will stock it but they are notoriously unreliable about unstocked items...

Apr 15, 2010 at 11:08 AM Post #7 of 79
how it compared to E7 vs ibasso ibasso T3D or D2 + BOA
Which one is better to buy in the SQ / overall rating
I wanted headamp portable to paired with my koss porta pro LE

Jun 2, 2010 at 10:56 AM Post #9 of 79
The obvious comparison is the icon mobile; it's certainly a better looking unit.  Comparison thread anyone?
wink_face.gif

Jun 3, 2010 at 11:35 AM Post #12 of 79
Now I have one, I would echo very much what the original reviewer has said.

I have just got my mits on one of these, which currently is in limited supply in the UK - 20 units initially, this is who I bought from...
http://www.mp3amplifier.com/product_info.php/products_id/84?osCsid=a2b34fcjn5sdbanp0t5kldh223

Initially I pre-ordered at £55 but the price has gone up a little since then to £65 (GBP)

I recently purchased some AKG K271 headphones - mainly for home studio recording purposes, but I like the natural sound so much, I find I'm using them more and more around the house generally. The ipod touch struggles to drive these and this is my main portable source, usually paired with Atrio M5 IEMs.

I cannot claim to be a headphone amp expert and this was my first purchase of this type of equipment, so please bear that in mind as you read my comments! I am sure there is much better equipment out there, but I would guess not at this price point

I will not post all the tech details since they can be read elsewhere. I was specifically looking for something portable and had settled upon the ibasso T3D until the RRP of this unit was announced. The ibasso was going to knock me back about £130 and as the E7 is also a USB DAC and came in at half the price it seemed well worth a punt. The ibasso price-wise as I am sure you will all appreciate is pretty much the thin end of the wedge in this area of gear!

The unit is quite small, although not the smallest out there. it’s about twice as fat as my touch, slightly less width and height. It is VERY light, but seems to be quite sturdy construction, only time will tell of course! Metal back and sides and a very glossy front which incorporates an OLED two-colour screen. I use it also with the Fiio LOD (L1)

first of all what about using with my Atrio M5 IEMs? At first I didn't notice much difference - these IEMs are really great, isolate well and have a good bass response. Having listened more critically since plugging them in I can say that the stereo width and sound separation has improved, although really the IEMs don't absolutely need amping I think I will continue to use them with the E7 in place. The E7 bass boost needs to be set on 0 or 1 at most, otherwise the sound does become quite muddy (which I guess you would expect) - it seems like the bass boost feature does not simply turn up the gain in the lower frequencies but changes the balance of the mids/high's too and to my ears this does not work well with these IEMs as you turn it up. There are 3 bass boost levels; setting to 3 reminds me of being at a bad 80s disco, bass pumping, with some DJ who has speakers twice the size of the dance floor that make you fall off your feet if you get within a few metres of them! Still as I said, bass set to no more than 1, sounds lurrrrrverly :)

Now for my AKGs, which is really why I went for a headphone amp in the first place. Boy does this make then sing! I have been really impressed with the improvement in sound quality. I turned up the bass boost to 2, but 3 is OK too if you like a little more. What hit me immediately was the punchy-ness of the bass, clear tight sounding drums and clean but mellow vocals (a little more towards the bright side). I flicked between a few different tracks on my ipod hearing very similar things sound quality wise - a little Faithless had me sticking the cans on SWMBO and saying "you have to listen to this!". Listening to my own music recorded at home is way more satisfying as the sound now is more what I remember playing back through my PC DAW and m-audio interface

I dare say that the results I have had may have been the same using any other headphone amp, but at £55 I'm glad I didn't spend a lot more. The E7 easily meets my requirements and that's before I've plugged it into my laptop at work using the USB DAC. I will be very surprised if the E7 does not give some of the more expensive (and well known) headphone amps out there a run for their money - it will be interesting to see how well the unit does when it becomes more widely available and what comparative reviews with other units have to say about it. It seems to me to have much more to offer than previous (very cheap) fiio offerings (like E3 and E5) and I would have thought will elevate fiio's position in the market place considerably

If I am being picky it would be nice to have some sort of screen dimming or even the ability to completely swicth off the OLED display whilst listening, as it is quite bright...however this is the only indication the unit is actually switched on.

USB charging can take place with the unit off, but I had to try this to find out, since there is no indication the unit is actually charging when it is off.

The key lock function seems largely redundant, seeing as the initial key press does not register in order to save you accidentally pressing the keys when its in your pocket. I have heard some reviews say the keys are a problem in this respect, but it is my understadning this is by design.

My only other issue is finding some nice portable case that my ipod touch and E7 can go into together and also bearing in mind the extra space needed for the LOD...but that is not a problem unique to the E7!! the E7 "velvet" pouch is really only sufficient just for the E7...oh, and although not listed in the box contents, there is a silicone skin - just one black one though.

So, for the price I certainly recommend it, particularly if you do not already have a headphone amp.

HTH
Chris

Jun 3, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #14 of 79
I know that the E7 doesn't yet have a proper line out to use it strictly as a DAC, but I was wondering if it'd be possible to use its headphone out in the meanwhile to feed to another amp w/o too much much compromise in SQ? and if so, what volume setting would be best?

thanks! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back