Fiio E7 coupled with Ath m50 doesn't produce loud sound?
Oct 5, 2012 at 2:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

mysteryofsound

New Head-Fier
Hi
  I recently bought a pair of ath m50 and given that I have turn my onboard laptop volume to the max to just get a satisfying hearing level, I decided to buy a fiio E7 to boost the volume and quality of the sound. But surprisingly, I don't hear much difference in the loudness of the sound coming from my ath m50. My sources are mp3 files and youtube music videos. I turned the volume to max on both windows media player and to the highest 60 on Fiio E7, but still on many songs, I feel the volume is nowhere near the deafening level I would expect. Right now I am looking at the audioengine D1 DAC. Should I return my Fiio E7 and buy it instead? Will the audioengine DAC produce louder sound?

Oct 12, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:
Could there be something wrong with your headphones?
I only need to turn my volume up <10% of the way on my laptop to get to comfortable listening levels with my ATH-M50. They don't require that much power.

+1.  I have found the ATH-M50 to be very sensitive and run it at about "8" on my E17 and very low on my laptop...  Do you consider yourself to listen at "high" levels normally?

Oct 12, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #4 of 8
thanks for the feedback. I think i have ruled out the possibility that my pair is defective since I also own a pair of Senheiser HD 380 pro, and it also doesn't sound loud to me on max volume. I tested it on two different laptops. And on both of them I need to crank the volume to the highest to listen to most songs. I listen mostly to techno and house music, so I like them loud. Could there be something wrong with my sources? They are mostly mp3 files I downloaded straight from the internet. And the ath m-50 sounds even weaker on Youtube. I also want to note that the ath m-50 does sound very loud in games even at low volume setting.

Oct 12, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #5 of 8
What program do you use to play your music?  Is it possible it has it's own volume control that is turned down, or a setting in your preferences that limits volume?  It is surprising it would be so much quieter on music when compared to gaming...  

Oct 12, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #6 of 8
I use windows media player when listening to music offline. When I am on youtube, I just use their default player. The volume bar on both programs are shifted to the max.  Maybe some of the settings needs to be adjusted to amplify the sound?

Oct 15, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #7 of 8
I just tried listening to music with and without the fiio e-7. The difference is not that huge. E7 gives a slight boost in max volume but nowhere near a satisfying hearing level. I admit that my laptop might have a weak sound card but shouldn't E-7 take over its role when I plug it into the usb port? The volume setting on my E-7 is set to Max. I think I might return the e-7 for a refund. Is there any more powerful headphone dac amplifier you guys can recommend? Which one should give me a louder sound? A dac/amplifier or a dedicated headphone amplifier? Thanks in advance.

Oct 16, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
I just tried listening to music with and without the fiio e-7. The difference is not that huge. E7 gives a slight boost in max volume but nowhere near a satisfying hearing level. I admit that my laptop might have a weak sound card but shouldn't E-7 take over its role when I plug it into the usb port? The volume setting on my E-7 is set to Max. I think I might return the e-7 for a refund. Is there any more powerful headphone dac amplifier you guys can recommend? Which one should give me a louder sound? A dac/amplifier or a dedicated headphone amplifier? Thanks in advance.

Your laptop is more likely to have an integrated chipset, not a soundcard. Everything on a laptop is constrained for space and battery life.

Usually the sound output is a green jack and it might be a LOD or it might be a headphone jack. Since you hear little difference with-without the amp, the laptop jack is probably for a headphone and not for plugging an external amp.  If you plug phones into a line jack, it will sound weak and tinny.

So you need a DAC, a better computer, or an MP3 player with LOD cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back