Fiio e7 and Rs2i
Jul 26, 2011 at 6:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Thegreatgig

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone.  I own a pair of Rs2i's but have always used them with my toshiba sattelite laptop.  Would buying the fiio e7 lead to a noticeable improvement in sound quality?  Is the fiio e7 a good dac/amp to pair with the Rs2i?

Also has anyone from Canada had experience ordering from mp4nation?  I want to order the fiio e7 from there since they sell it for only $85 with the LOD cable, but I am worried about being charged hidden fees at the boarder.

Jul 26, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #2 of 11
I think a better choice would be to buy a cmoy(low gain) or ra1 clone(grado synergy) and buy a dac later to pair with it.

also might want to look into the fiio e11. grado do shine with a bit more power.

Jul 27, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #3 of 11
Thanks for the input.  I forgot to mention though that I'm using a pa2v2 right now, and i just bought it so im more interested in a usb dac than an amp.  I was thinking the e7 because i could always pair it with the e9 later on.

Jul 31, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #5 of 11
Another option for ya is utilizing only the E7's DAC while connecting it directly to your PA2v2.  This can be done by using Fiio's L7 line-out kit for the E7.  The benefit here is the improved sound quality over your laptop's sound card while still utilizing the amp section of the PA2v2.

Aug 2, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #7 of 11
Hi, Thegreatgig, did you see my post before it was deleted by the mods?  Regards.

It was this:

The Grado RS2i are specified at 32 ohms impedance and 98 dB SPL / 1 mW according to Grado's website.  Grado headphones tend not to need that much power.

The FiiO E7 has decent performance as a DAC and amp and can put about 80 mW into 32 ohms.  See here for some technical details and measured performance:
*** [I'm removing the link to the review that was here, that caused the post to be deleted] ***

80 mW into 32 ohms with 98 dB SPL / 1 mW is about 117 dB, which is already way too loud.  This means that the E7 should have plenty of power, and I'm not sure if there's a more accurate DAC/amp for the price.  Since the E7's integrated amp is decent enough and has enough power for the job, I doubt you'll need to use the E7 as a DAC only and sent its signal to the PA2v2.  As for whether or not you'll hear a noticeable improvement, that depends on the integrated sound output on the laptop.  Many laptop audio outputs are kind of noisy and may have a few issues.

Aug 3, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #9 of 11
I still suggest you look into the fiio l7 as an add on(maybe later on or you could do a full on e9 upgrade). It'll take advantage of the better amp section of the pa2v2 you already own.

There being able to power a grado and powering it well.

Aug 7, 2011 at 9:25 AM Post #11 of 11
Absolutely.  You'll find the sound quality to better than your laptop's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back