FiiO E6 or E11 with a Sony MDR-1R Headphone
Apr 17, 2013 at 1:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Robinmull112

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I resently bought a Sony MDR-1R headphone.
Before the new Sony's, I was using a pair of Sennheiser IE8 monitors.
I was quite satisfied with my Sennheisers, but after wearing them for about 2-3 hours my ears start hurting, so i decided to buy a over the ear pair of headphones.

I am quite satisfied with the mids and highs that the Sony can produce, but the lows are just horrible. (Note, there are almost no lows unless i crank the volume up very high)

I have tried a lot of different EQ setting on my iPod Nano 7g and my HTC One X, but non of them can make the lows sound good.

I was just internetting when i stumbled across the FiiO headphone amps.
I did a bit of research and came to the conclusion that the FiiO E6 or E11 would be perfect for my goals.

I am just not sure wich one i have to choose.
I just want to use them to make sure my lows are getting better, not to crank the volume up. (It would be nice if the overall sound quality would get a boost as well)

I am using it with my iPod Nano 7g and my HTC One X, so no PC or Laptops.

Can anyone please give me some advice about this?

Thanks a lot

P.S. I am sorry for my bad English :$

Apr 17, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:
Hello everyone,

I resently bought a Sony MDR-1R headphone.
Before the new Sony's, I was using a pair of Sennheiser IE8 monitors.
I was quite satisfied with my Sennheisers, but after wearing them for about 2-3 hours my ears start hurting, so i decided to buy a over the ear pair of headphones.

I am quite satisfied with the mids and highs that the Sony can produce, but the lows are just horrible. (Note, there are almost no lows unless i crank the volume up very high)

I have tried a lot of different EQ setting on my iPod Nano 7g and my HTC One X, but non of them can make the lows sound good.

I was just internetting when i stumbled across the FiiO headphone amps.
I did a bit of research and came to the conclusion that the FiiO E6 or E11 would be perfect for my goals.

I am just not sure wich one i have to choose.
I just want to use them to make sure my lows are getting better, not to crank the volume up. (It would be nice if the overall sound quality would get a boost as well)

I am using it with my iPod Nano 7g and my HTC One X, so no PC or Laptops.

Can anyone please give me some advice about this?

Thanks a lot

P.S. I am sorry for my bad English :$

The 1R is definitely not a basshead's can, but the lows aren't recessed either. I'm surprised you're finding the bass not to your liking. I can run them with or without my E07K and they sound just fine. My guess is if you don't like them not amped, you're not going to like them amped either. 

Apr 18, 2013 at 1:50 AM Post #3 of 9
Well, i like the bass when i crank up the volume or when i am using the headphones in a quiet space.

Unfortunately i am using them a lot in public transport and places with a lot of background rumours. With all the background noices the bass just fades away :frowning2:

I was hoping that a fiio e6/e11 would give the headphones just a bit more power so that they can produce a bit more noticeable bass. Im not looking for an amp that can produce an earthquake inside my headphones, just an amp that gives the headphones a bit more power.

Apr 18, 2013 at 2:21 AM Post #4 of 9
E6 doesn't make much of a difference from my iPod Touch, for me personally.... but it does have bass boost EQ which is probably something you'd be interested in, however, it muddies the sound so everything loses clarity.
Bass boost EQ is good for public transport though, adds more bass and you can't hear much anyway unless you turn the volume up, as isolation is very disappointing in that context (by my standards).

Apr 18, 2013 at 2:32 AM Post #5 of 9
Do you have a good eq app? Try downloading poweramp for your one x. Completely changes the sound of your player. Dont use the default pkayer. Its garbage.

I also have a e6 and it helps with the bass a lot. Its pretty clear as well.

Apr 18, 2013 at 3:21 AM Post #6 of 9
Wauw, i have just downloaded the poweramp app and it's just amazing!! All of the sudden my headphones come to life and the bass is verry good! This is exactly what i was looking for! I am definitly going to buy the full version!

The only problem is that i use my iPod way more then my phone. I guess there is not an app like poweramp for the Ipod Nano 7th gen?

So i guess i stil have to but an fiio for my iPod?

Apr 18, 2013 at 6:03 AM Post #7 of 9
Poweramp uses the default audio driver in your Android just as your stock music app does, so there shouldn't really be much of any SQ difference between the two apps. The real benefit might be a more functional EQ. Try Neutron Music Player instead.

iPod Nano 7G has good clean headphone-out that rivals any good sounding smartphone. Unless you are not getting enough volume, you don't need to amp it. Even if you want to, set the volume three steps down from max will give you a very clean sound to amp, almost as good as any line-out.

Apr 18, 2013 at 7:10 AM Post #8 of 9
I have downloaded the Neutron music player, but it is do sofisticated for me, so im using the Poweramp app again. With this app my headphones are able to produce more bass, so the problem is the EQ, not my headphones.

I amost always use my iPod, not my phone. Unfortunatly there are no apps for my iPod that can improve the EQ.

Will a Fiio e11 improve the EQ and bass of my iPod? Like i said before, i am only buying this amp because of the poor bass my iPod is producing, not because i want to crank up the volume. (i want to be able to listen to music my whole life, so i always try to keep the volume as low as possible)

So my main question is: will the Fiio e11 improve the bass without cranking up the volume?

Apr 18, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #9 of 9
If bass is the only concern, you might find digiZoid ZO2.3 a better device than E11.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back