FiiO E6 "Fujiyama" vs. E12 "Mont Blanc"
May 24, 2014 at 2:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Chaz1952

100+ Head-Fier
Hello Fellow Members!

It was suggested that I post my question here

After enjoying the FiiO E6, I decided to upgrade to their "flagship" model, the E12. I just received the amp two days ago. 

One thing struck me as curious almost right away: All else being equal, the little E6 is louder that the 12.

I don't understand how that could be; the "Mont Blanc" is so much more powerful.  I am new to using a portable headphone amp, although I have been using headphones for many years.  If anyone has experience with these two units, I would really appreciate some additional insight.

Details:

The E6 settings:
[-Power is "ON" / corner window glowing Blue]
-EQ is "OFF" (indicator Clear)
-Volume up to MAX

E12 settings:
[Power "ON" / Blue]
-Bass switch "OFF"
-Gain switch "0dB"
-Crossfeed "OFF"
-Volume up to MAX

Media player set to 50% volume

Both amps fully charged and using same 3.5mm connecting cord and phone.

Both units passed FiiO's 20-bit scratch-off online verification

Phone:
htc one vx / "Jelly Bean" OS version 4.1.2 HTC Sense version 4+
Player app: POWER AMP (Full version 2.0.9 build 555)

Headphones: Etymotic HF5 Grado SR60 Sennheiser HD201

Thanks again for any additional information.

Charlie

Jun 16, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #2 of 5
Hi Charlie :-

Quote:
One thing struck me as curious almost right away: All else being equal, the little E6 is louder that the 12.

If anyone has experience with these two units, I would really appreciate some additional insight.

Details:

The E6 settings:
[-Power is "ON" / corner window glowing Blue]
-EQ is "OFF" (indicator Clear)
-Volume up to MAX

E12 settings:
[Power "ON" / Blue]
-Bass switch "OFF"
-Gain switch "0dB"
-Crossfeed "OFF"
-Volume up to MAX

I also own both these units. I presume turning up the volume is the same as increasing the Gain so setting the E12 Gain Switch to 0dB would be like not allowing the E12 to its maximum potential?

Would that be correct?

Regards,

Mark

Jun 16, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #3 of 5
I also have the E12. Even driving a pair of HE-500 planar magnetics, I still leave the gain switch in the 0 db position. At about 3/4 full rotation on the volume knob, it's plenty loud enough for me. Sliding the gain switch to the 6 db position unleashes the full capability of the E12. With my Grado SR-125i cans, it's more than my ears can take. I haven't detected any limiting or distortion in the 0 db position with the HiFiMAN phones.

Jun 16, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #4 of 5
The first thing I want to mention is, loudness is not equal to power. Power is a result of voltage multiplies current. Loudness is just purely voltage. So having very loud volume doesn't mean it is very powerful. It just means it is loud and nothing more. You can actually have more power with a smaller volume if the current output is larger.

Now we have that clear, let talk about E6 vs. E12 - E6 has a fixed gain of 6.5dB (except for EQ3) where E12 has gain of 0dB and 16dB. So if you are having everything else equal and E12 on 0dB gain, the of course E6 will sound louder, since it has a higher gain (and thus output higher voltage).

Jun 16, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #5 of 5
Hi, Mark-
I was confused by this at first, too.
This is the response I received from FiiO Support regarding the issue:
"Thanks for your cooperation and support to FiiO! Kindly inform you that, when the E6's EQ function is off, its gain is 6.5dB. So the E6 is louder than the E12 when the E6's EQ function is off.
If you have any other question, please feel free to contact us! Have a nice day! ^_^
Best Regards, FiiO Customer Service"

So the default output (no EQ) for the E06 is automatically 6.5dB higher then the E12 set at 0db.
Charlie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back