Fiio E5 : No Audible Effect
Jul 7, 2010 at 10:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

peli_kan

100+ Head-Fier
I can't hear the difference between amped and unamped, even with the 100-ohm Etymotic ER-4B.  As much as I'd like to use my magical ears and describe at length the increased air, soundstage, and improved dynamics resulting from this wonderbox, I can't. 

Now, I realize that the Fiio E5 isn't some silly empty case.  There's a 190mAh battery, and a OPA2338UA opamp, so clearly something other than voodoo is going on in there.  That said, have there been serious benchmarks done on this thing, especially when compared to the headphone out of popular PMPs?

I'm currently studying cognitive science, and the world of high-end audio seems like rich fodder for predictable irrationality.  Is the Fiio E5 another product that derives its effectiveness largely through the power of suggestion? 

Jul 7, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #4 of 10
When I had the Fiio E5, I found it did nothing to improve the sound quality of my Westone 3.I actually preferred the sound coming out of the headphone jacks of my Sansa Clip and my Sony NW-A818 over the E5. If there was any difference, it was minuscule in my experience. The only thing it was useful for was the bass boost but that was about it.

Jul 8, 2010 at 1:04 AM Post #5 of 10
I compared an iPod with HD595s with and without the E5 today, and I definitely noticed more impact using the E5 with rock music. I used "Californication Unmastered" as a source, which has more dynamic range than the CD (still not the best recording, but I like the songs themselves). It has many sections with loud drum beats, where the difference was most noticeable.

Jul 8, 2010 at 2:04 AM Post #7 of 10
I own two Fiio E5 - one that I use with my Sansa View through a LOD and one that I use with my Creative Zen Vision:M through the line out in the dongle (to inexperienced with soldering and also too lazy to make a LOD and I have not found any LOD:s for the Vision:M to buy).

I have solely bought the E5 for the bass boost and besides that effect I have not noticed many changes in the overall sound. Well, perhaps the soundstage is a wee bit more narrow through the E5 with bass boost off compared to if I listen to the DAP:s without the E5.

So other than the bass boost which does add extra "oomph" to the lower end of the music (and unfortunately makes it slightly muddy), I see no real use for the E5. It is a cheap way of experiencing your first headphone amp, nothing more nothing less.

Jul 8, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #8 of 10
Not every headphone is going to sound different with an amp, and not every amp is powerful enough to make a difference. Plus the ER-4B is a single driver design, so there's also no crossovers to worry about. 

Jul 8, 2010 at 6:13 AM Post #9 of 10
I didn't even notice a difference with my ATH M-50/Auditor compared to M-50 straight from PSP, just different sound signature because of the different digital to analog conversion. But sound stage didn't widen and bass wasn't boomier.

Jul 8, 2010 at 7:10 AM Post #10 of 10
I found the E5 to be something like a two preset EQ rather than a headphone amp. It does something to make listening bad quality modern pop/rock-tracks more tolerable. In a hifi sense it is a terrible device but has its uses. I would never consider amping good headphones with it or listening to well produced music with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back