FiiO E5 cable question
Apr 18, 2011 at 10:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

steve823

New Head-Fier
Hey guys. I use a FiiO E5 for my AT M50's ,but recently I've lost the cable that comes with the FiiO E5 amp (L cable). I still have the one that connects it to the computer and charges it ,but the one that connects the amp to the source is gone. It was a little cable and I was wondering if it was just an audio cable? I am looking for a replacement and can't seem to find it anywhere ,but would a normal audio cable do well? 

Apr 20, 2011 at 8:20 PM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
Sometimes it's my ipod but most, if not all of the time it's my computer.

Does your computer have a level line-out port anywhere?  You should really be using that to connect it to the E5.  For that, though, any interconnect cable would work.

But if you want to connect it to your iPod, I would strongly recommend getting a L1 or L3 cable.  It really makes a difference with sound quality, even if it is relatively expensive for what it is.

Apr 20, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #7 of 10
I am answering this thread to know if someone knows where to buy short and thin cables like the cables that come with this amplifier.

Also, I am interested in cables Male-Female too (extension) but with that features, short and thin.

Carrying a cable like the posted by steve823 isn't comfortable.

Apr 21, 2011 at 7:54 AM Post #8 of 10

Quote:
I am answering this thread to know if someone knows where to buy short and thin cables like the cables that come with this amplifier.

Also, I am interested in cables Male-Female too (extension) but with that features, short and thin.

Carrying a cable like the posted by steve823 isn't comfortable.

It's pretty hard to find a short extension cable like that, I looked for one too.  You could always just get a Y splitter, though, since they're short like that, they just have an extra plug on them.  That's what I did, anyway.

http://www.miccastore.com/personal-audio-products-fiio-cables-accessories-c-7_13.html

You can buy the little interconnect cables that came with the amp, as well as LOD cables here, though.

Apr 21, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #9 of 10
I'm not sure what a "level line-out port" is, sorry. I usually plug it into the normal headphone jack on the bottom of my laptop. Should I buy something different ? I'm not really an expert, which is why I came here to see what would be best to get. 

Also, I have a Y-splitter. Should I just use that? I had the mindset that if I used that it would take some power away.
Quote:
Does your computer have a level line-out port anywhere?  You should really be using that to connect it to the E5.  For that, though, any interconnect cable would work.

But if you want to connect it to your iPod, I would strongly recommend getting a L1 or L3 cable.  It really makes a difference with sound quality, even if it is relatively expensive for what it is.

Apr 22, 2011 at 12:38 AM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
I'm not sure what a "level line-out port" is, sorry. I usually plug it into the normal headphone jack on the bottom of my laptop. Should I buy something different ? I'm not really an expert, which is why I came here to see what would be best to get. 

Also, I have a Y-splitter. Should I just use that? I had the mindset that if I used that it would take some power away.

Ah, your laptop won't have a line-out port, so that doesn't really matter.  Some PCs do, but laptops usually don't.

The y-splitter shouldn't cause any problems, other than the annoying second plug dangling off of it.  It'll only suck more power if you plug a second pair of headphones into it, if I understand correctly.  At least, it doesn't cause me any problems.

And well, if you want to buy something else, it all depends on how much you want to spend.  A Fiio E7 would greatly improve the sound output of your laptop, but it costs around $100, so it's not really cheap (though compared to the other USB DACs on the market, it's a bargain).  It also works as a portable amp, and sounds a lot better than the E5.  You should research it a little and see what you think, at any rate.  There are quite a few reviews on head-fi for it, and it has quite a following here.

If you don't know what a DAC is, "DAC" stands for "digital to analog converter."  It basically just converts the digital signals from your computer into analog signals you can hear.  The amps in a laptop are usually not very good, so an external DAC/amp is usually the only way to get really good sound from a laptop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back