fiio e3/e5 quality
May 22, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #17 of 34
Many reputable headphone seller don't ship to rural third world, and even if they do, the shipping cost usually doesn't justify itself (not to mention the import duty and handling fee). I am not sure how that works in Philippines, so the OP will have to do research of his own to find out more.

I own one of Robert's early amp and the quality is indeed superb. However, there is a very good reason why I (and a few older members in the forum, I presumed) can't / don't recommend him to others. It is a long story and you can find the reason in the forum if you search hard enough, but I rather not mention it here.

May 24, 2009 at 11:49 PM Post #19 of 34
if it comes down to me & fiio experience i can only say - never again.

ok i have w3 + dyi 5.5g mod + VERY good cryo cable + um56 - and it plays as i thought it will. getting amp for 18$ to gear worth 800$ or so...well....it isn't any option. maybe with cheaper gear fiio plays aLOT better but with the stuff mentioned above... well it simply doesn't. i bought it just to check how it's going to be - now i know. i am writing review about my experience so ill post it soon. someone told me to go pico or p-51 mustang..i'll go for p-51 and i hope that i'll get lots more from my rig. i have nothing against fiio. it just didn't worked out with me and that's all right now.

peace.

May 25, 2009 at 12:02 AM Post #20 of 34
I didn't really enjoy my E3 that much. I gave it to my girlfriend to see if maybe she likes it more than I do. Meanwhile, I went to the PA2V2 (not bad) and then now I'm using a Practical Devices XM4 (which I really enjoy, even with the stock opamp).

I felt that while the E3 added some bass quantity, it didn't really help clarity anywhere in the spectrum. The bass became a little muddy, I suppose. Just wasn't much of a fan, at least with my ES7s and Shure SCL4s

May 25, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #21 of 34
A $25 amp won't perform $52 worth of wonder, or else it will be sold at $52. I have tried $500 portable amp and find it short of my expectation, then again, one doesn't always get what one wanted. Expectation can be a cult of evil.

May 25, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #22 of 34
Hello,
This is my first post here. I wanted to pass along that the volume control on my E5 no longer works. The volume will go down, but not back up, not much good eh? I should have known for 25 bucks... I guess I will just save my pennies until the Pico Slim is out.

All my best,
Don

May 25, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #23 of 34
Send it back for repair. It might be only $25, but it still carries a 1 yr warranty.

May 25, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #24 of 34
hi guys,, it's me again... i watched a demonstration/review of e5 in youtube yesterday.. the volume boost is quite noticeable.. for the bass boost, uhmmmm, i cant hear the difference with the bass boost switched on and off..
so i've decided to get a cmoy instead of an e5.. i found a local private dealer near our place selling home made cmoys.. i sent him a text message (philippines is the text capital of the world, lol) asking some stuffs like enhancements in the bass, treble etc etc and he is just confusing me with his answer.. i guess he is just a hobbyist..

i just want to ask you guys (again), are all cmoys the same? is chu moy's original circuit posted in headwize enhances (the bass, treble etc) better than an e5?

thanks

May 26, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #26 of 34
i have to agree with earwax. i've got a set of HD280s, a HeadRoom Total AirHead amp, and a FiiO E5 amp (cheap rig, i know), and i am pretty unimpressed with the airhead's performance with those headphones. honestly, they may help higher impedance headphones more dramatically, but i heard basically no difference when using my zune as a source. the biggest benefit is that the airhead reduces the noise floor from my laptop. i really do like how the HD280s sound for their price and the E5 helps out with their anemic bass, so i have gotten more satisfaction from my $17 E5 than my $100 airhead (which is similar to many CMoy amps).

May 27, 2009 at 1:23 AM Post #27 of 34
ok.. sorry... i didin't mean to waste your time.. i just dont know that much about amps thats why i have so many questions.. sorry again..

i dont know if they're shipping penguin amp here.. and if they do,, it'll take several months..

thanks for your posts and opinions and sorry about this,,,,
it wont happen again...

thousand apologies........

Jul 15, 2009 at 2:32 AM Post #30 of 34
I've had 2 problems with my E5.

1. Sometimes it won't let me turn it off. You have to let the battery completely discharge. After this you may be able to turn it off again.
2. The abve problem seems to also appear in the opposite way; it's got to the point where i can't turn it on.

However, the sound quality (bass and volume) of my iPod classic 80GB noticeably improved. The bass seemed like it was digitially enhanced and because of this suffered from slight "muddiness". But for 50 bucks the sound was worth it. Now if only i could get the damned thing to turn on again!...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back