fiio e3/e5 quality
May 20, 2009 at 12:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

10x_karma

New Head-Fier
hi guys, does fiio e3 and e5 really have good quality that's why it is popular or is it just because it's very affordable?
confused_face_2.gif

May 20, 2009 at 1:11 AM Post #3 of 34
i'm talking about the sound quality.

do they make any headphone (even the cheapest ones) sound better?

May 20, 2009 at 5:35 AM Post #5 of 34
hmmm,, so it doesn't improve the sound quality that much.. what portable headphone amp can you recommend then?

ahmmm.. btw, is there an amp with customizable EQ?

May 20, 2009 at 8:14 AM Post #7 of 34
The FiiO E3 essentially just boosts the bass.

The E5 is more neutral, and just boosts the volume.

If you're looking for a good portable amp, just search for in the forum search function. They are countless. I personally recommend the PenguinAmp Cmoy: PenguinAmp.com - . It's a great amp and it's cheap. If you're interested, look for some reviews on the forums.

May 20, 2009 at 9:00 AM Post #8 of 34
Not to be contrary, but I find the E3 boosts both the bass and volume (used with an iAudio X5). There is the reasonably well documented hiss - which I understand the E5 was designed to address - but for the price it's worth trying either one out for yourself.

May 20, 2009 at 9:19 AM Post #9 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by 10x_karma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmmm,, so it doesn't improve the sound quality that much.. what portable headphone amp can you recommend then?

ahmmm.. btw, is there an amp with customizable EQ?

From the headphones listed in your sig at the first post, any amp will be a waste. Better spend some money on good 'phone first before worry about amp.

May 20, 2009 at 9:41 AM Post #10 of 34
actually im planning get myself a real headphone.. i am considering sennheiser hd 280.. but unfortunately i can't find a dealer in manila so i'll just have to settle to what i have for now.. im thinking of making them sound better with fiio e5 that's why im asking if this amp can make any headphone (even the cheapest ones) sound better?

btw, sorry about my signature..

May 20, 2009 at 10:21 AM Post #11 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by 10x_karma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
btw, sorry about my signature..

Don't be. It works as it should and tells us something about you so we can recommend what fit you best. There is nothing wrong with it.

If you haven't done so, you should make sure the music you are listening is at least 192kbps (bitrate) or better. Simply by re-ripping music (from CD or lossless) on higher bitrate can give you good improvement on SQ.

Amp is usually one of the last thing I'll consider in an upgrade. If you truly can't get any better headphone now, you can try E5. You will notice some improvement, but nothing major or ground shaking. If you do plan to to get HD280 within the next month or two, then a cmoy will probably be better in long run. However, if you simply don't know when you will be able to get a better headphone (*any time soon), I'll say E5 should be sufficient for your current gears - at least until you can find a decent headphone that will better benefit from a more expensive amp.

May 20, 2009 at 12:06 PM Post #13 of 34
The OP is living in Manila - not the easiest place on earth to find a decent headphone (or any gears in that matter) without major overpayment or simply a complete MIA. As the OP said, he "have to settle to what i have for now". It might not be an ideal situation, but life is never perfect and it is up to the OP to determine what works the best for him.

May 21, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #14 of 34
Salamat ClieOS!!! (that's Filipino for Thank you ClieOS)

May 21, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #15 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by quiny382005 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you buy the HD280s, you WILL need a headphone amp to drive them -their impedance is 64 Ohms. If you, too, have a volume capped nano, you're never gonna get enough juice out of your nano to drive them.

You can't judge by impedance alone. The HD280s actually are not hard to drive at all and benefit very little from an amp. Other headphones of similar impedance, like the 50 Ohm Koss KSC75s and portpros, DO sound better with an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back