FiiO E3/E5 and the TSA Security
Nov 22, 2008 at 12:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

BIGHMW

100+ Head-Fier
In continuation of a TSA/Cmoy thread on this board, I wanted to ask all of you if the evil TSA would question me if I brought a FiiO E5 or E3 along for a trip with my Sony noise canceling IEMs (MDR-NC22)/cans (MDR-NC60 Japan Edition with 0.5m cord), and which would they find the least suspicious.

Here is what I would carry onboard:

Sony NW-HD5 Silver loaded with a ton of my favorites
Sony RM-MC40ELK remote
FiiO E3/E5 with short IC
Sony MDR-NC22 or preferably NC60 (Japan Edition with 0.5m cord)
L3000.gif

Either way it sure as heck beats the garbage they pipe in onboard (mostly mainstream corporate/RIAA/major label crap).

Nov 22, 2008 at 1:05 AM Post #3 of 13
I once passed TSA with several portable amps in my bag.. :p

Nov 22, 2008 at 1:51 AM Post #4 of 13
I carry a briefcase with a laptop and enough misc electronics to launch a space shuttle (DAP, amp, dac, web camera, blackberry, several flavors of chargers and a pile of misc cables). I also travel through airports every other week.

I have had zero trouble - I take out the laptop (per TSA) and I put EVERYTHING else in the briefcase before I even get to security. I walk through the metal detector completely clean and the the briefcase of goodies barely gets a glance. I don't understand why people insist on emptying their pockets at the detector - put all metal in your carry-on bag before you even get there and you fly right through.

Nov 22, 2008 at 4:00 AM Post #5 of 13
I really don't think that aluminium chassis get detected, so most portable amps will do fine.

Nov 22, 2008 at 4:13 AM Post #6 of 13
I'm sure they will easily pick up aluminum. It's not like aluminum is unable to set off a metal detector.

Nov 22, 2008 at 7:48 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by dadozen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really don't think that aluminium chassis get detected, so most portable amps will do fine.

Please - that may have been true of the old passive detectors, but I have to believe TSA everywhere is now using more modern active detectors that can detect both ferrous and non-ferrous items. The x-ray machine just goes off differing densities - haven't you ever looked at the monitor as you go through? You can see food items, plastic bottles, you name it. Of course, the specific sensitivity settings used in the machines is also important.

More general info on metal detectors: http://www.fastecservices.com/basics.pdf

Nov 24, 2008 at 3:14 PM Post #9 of 13
last time I flew I carried a small limpit mine on board with no questions asked
tongue.gif
nah but seriously if they stopped everyone who had that type of gear on them they would cause so many delays its not funny. besides if you get the E5 it just looks like another shuffle

Nov 26, 2008 at 4:21 PM Post #10 of 13
Just got my iBasso D2 today, so can't answer re it specifically.

But, I fly twice a week, and carry: iPod Classic, iPod Nano, Shure E4c, Shure E530, Archos 605, small camera, couple of extra rechargeable batteries, phone, Blackberry, 2.5 hard drive, BT headset, 2 USB flash drives, portable wireless router, white noise generator, and lots of cables. Most in briefcase, some in carry on suitcase.

Maybe 3 or 4 times a year, they'll spend 2 minutes wiping a pad on the zippers and then putting the pad in a machine, or 5 minutes physically digging through one of the bags to see what I've got. Something on the x-ray triggers their interest. Once they find it and eyeball it - done, and on my way.

Don't worry. (I wouldn't carry something that looks homemade like a cmoy in an Altoids tin, though)

Nov 26, 2008 at 9:29 PM Post #12 of 13
Once upon a time I was stopped because of a horse bit at Heathrow (you know, usually solid metal and goes in horses' mouth). Had to get a supervisor to give her the o.k. to let me through and board. Can you imagine the fuss with that British screener if I'd been carrying a Xin, or Ray Samuels amp? BTW - I was heading back to the USA.

Nov 26, 2008 at 10:34 PM Post #13 of 13
I have traveled frequently with a small leather case with an iPod, Hornet, LOD and various IEMs. The xray screener has passed this stuff every time. They have never even asked to look at my bag, which typically is full of computer, audio gear, and a few hundred assorted charging units, USB hard disk, and thumb drives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back