Fiio E18
Oct 17, 2013 at 5:20 AM Post #317 of 2,308
I'm very interested to buy this e18. I've got two questions:

First: does It works with Samsung galaxy s2? Have you got any feedback of e18 working correctly as a dac? Does It read the file and process It without any process made by the internal chip of the Phone?
Second: if i connect It to the Phone, It will automatically charge my Phone? Isn't possibile only to connect It without charging the Phone?

P. S. Sorry for my poor english

Oct 17, 2013 at 7:42 AM Post #318 of 2,308
Hello,

I'm not very familiar with the circuitry such as the DAC chips and operational amps used.

Would someone mind telling me how the ones in the E18 stack up against those in the X3 player and what I could expect in terms of sound quality between the two? (I have neither now and just play directly from laptop to Beyer DT 660)

Oct 17, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #319 of 2,308
I'm very interested to buy this e18. I've got two questions:

First: does It works with Samsung galaxy s2? Have you got any feedback of e18 working correctly as a dac? Does It read the file and process It without any process made by the internal chip of the Phone?
Second: if i connect It to the Phone, It will automatically charge my Phone? Isn't possibile only to connect It without charging the Phone?

P. S. Sorry for my poor english
Sorry, another question: will Fiio e18, connected with an Android phone via usb-otg, play music in 96kHz/24bit or only in 44.1/16 because of Android native limitation?

Oct 20, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #323 of 2,308
Here is one of the first E18 owners.

I visited FiiO at the Hong Kong Electronics fair a few days ago and bought myself a E18.
Awesome little thing.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 Android 4.1.2 with Boeffla Kernel. When I connect the FiiO E18 it takes a few seconds and it works flawlessly right away.

Does it sound great ? Yes
smily_headphones1.gif

How does it sound compared to the Galaxy S3 (optimized Boeffla Kernel): The sound is faster and much more detailed. It sounds quite transparent and punchy, resolution is quite superior.

I use Poweramp and Neutron music players on my phone and good news is that both app's Equalizers do work even when listening via the E18. Only kernel EQs and other sound tweaks within the phone's kernel are bypassed.

I have not had the time to try all the other features of the E18 yet but all I can say is that I liked the E18 right from the start.

If you have any questions regarding the FiiO E18 I can try to answer them from an end user's standpoint.

Btw. I have never owned any of the other FiiO devices so I cannot compare the sound quality/signature to other FiiO products.
beerchug.gif

Guenther

Oct 20, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #324 of 2,308

I visited FiiO at the Hong Kong Electronics fair a few days ago and bought myself a E18.
Awesome little thing.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 Android 4.1.2 with Boeffla Kernel. When I connect the FiiO E18 it takes a few seconds and it works flawlessly right away.

Does it sound great ? Yes
smily_headphones1.gif

How does it sound compared to the Galaxy S3 (optimized Boeffla Kernel): The sound is faster and much more detailed. It sounds quite transparent and punchy, resolution is quite superior.

I use Poweramp and Neutron music players on my phone and good news is that both app's Equalizers do work even when listening via the E18. Only kernel EQs and other sound tweaks within the phone's kernel are bypassed.

I have not had the time to try all the other features of the E18 yet but all I can say is that I liked the E18 right from the start.

If you have any questions regarding the FiiO E18 I can try to answer them from an end user's standpoint.

Btw. I have never owned any of the other FiiO devices so I cannot compare the sound quality/signature to other FiiO products.
beerchug.gif

Guenther

Thanks for your feedback! I've got two questions:

1- Does the device take out the music file and process it in 24bit/96kHz, or it doesn't bypass android's native limit to 44.1kHz/16bit?

2- If i connect Fiio e18 to the Phone, It will automatically charge my Phone? Isn't possibile only to connect It as a dac without charging the Phone?

Sorry for bad english :wink:

Oct 20, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #325 of 2,308
  Thanks for your feedback! I've got two questions:

1- Does the device take out the music file and process it in 24bit/96kHz, or it doesn't bypass android's native limit to 44.1kHz/16bit?

2- If i connect Fiio e18 to the Phone, It will automatically charge my Phone? Isn't possibile only to connect It as a dac without charging the Phone?

Sorry for bad english :wink:

1.) i have no clue.
2.) In USB OTG mode it does not charge the phone. There is a switch on the bottom DAC<->CHG where you can select either Play mode or Charging mode.

Oct 20, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #326 of 2,308

Awesome little thing.

[...]
beerchug.gif

Guenther

Thanks for this feedback!
Some questions.
How much you paid it?
When you connect the DAC non settings is needed to work with your favorite player?

Oct 20, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #328 of 2,308

About this question, I asked to Fiio support how is possibile to see the current sample rate because there is no display as in E07K and E17 models.
Here is the answer I received:

"Yes, the E18 doesn't have the screen which could display the sample rate directly. Did you have a E17 in hand? If so, because the E18 has the Coaxial output, then you can connect the E18's Coaxial output with your E17, then you can know the current sample rate."

So to know the sample rate you must connect the E18 to another DAC that can display this info on a display.
Not so easy if you don't have another dac in hand...

Oct 20, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #329 of 2,308

Thanks for this feedback!
Some questions.
How much you paid it?
When you connect the DAC non settings is needed to work with your favorite player?

I would'nt be fair to say how much I paid. It was a trade fair so the price was low.

Interestingly with my phone nothing needs to be changed in settings. I just connect the E18 via the USB OTG cable and that's it.
I just start Poweramp or Neutron, press play and sound output is via FiiO. I never thought it would be that easy.

Oct 20, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #330 of 2,308
About this question, I asked to Fiio support how is possibile to see the current sample rate because there is no display as in E07K and E17 models.
Here is the answer I received:

"Yes, the E18 doesn't have the screen which could display the sample rate directly. Did you have a E17 in hand? If so, because the E18 has the Coaxial output, then you can connect the E18's Coaxial output with your E17, then you can know the current sample rate."

So to know the sample rate you must connect the E18 to another DAC that can display this info on a display.
Not so easy if you don't have another dac in hand...

Unfortunately i don't have any dac actually.
Waiting for some answer to my question by some owner..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back