Fiio E18
Oct 13, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #301 of 2,308
Well, it doesnt necessarily have to be short and angled. I can deal with something like the L5 but with a micro usb replacing the 3.5mm so I can use my walkman with the E18's DAC.

It also doesnt have to be included. I am willing to purchase seperately like I did with the L5 when I bought the E12.

Oct 13, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #302 of 2,308
A separate right-angled USB cable with a reasonable amount of length for most portable devices sounds like a good idea for a separate product, Mr. Good.  As you say, I can't see its being included with the E18, though.

I must have been a Hank fatigued when I read your post last night, since I interpreted it to mean you wanted James to include a right-angled USB cable designed for your F806!

Personally, I'd like an array of 85-degree .7" OTG cables arranged chromatically from violet to puce in a limited-edition red and white tin with the words Mutilation Is Slimming emblazoned on the right side.

Oct 13, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #303 of 2,308
Hold the sarcasm.

Is it so difficult to make a cable to use the E18's DAC to use with the Sony Walkmans? No one is implying that they should be included. And yes, I may have asked a bit much when I asked for them to be angled as well. But really, is it that hard?

The walkman has a similar port to the ipods and iphones... and those are angled in Fiio's inventory.

So why not do the walkmans some justice since the E18 is designed for android devices (yes I know its more inclined towards phones). Fiio has an L5 LOD cable already designed for the walkmans with a 3.5mm end... so why not a micro usb end to use with the E18?

I'm no cable nut... but it doesnt seem like rocket science.

Oct 13, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #304 of 2,308
  A separate right-angled USB cable with a reasonable amount of length for most portable devices sounds like a good idea for a separate product, Mr. Good.  As you say, I can't see its being included with the E18, though.

I must have been a Hank fatigued when I read your post last night, since I interpreted it to mean you wanted James to include a right-angled USB cable designed for your F806!

Personally, I'd like an array of 85-degree .7" OTG cables arranged chromatically from violet to puce in a limited-edition red and white tin with the words Mutilation Is Slimming emblazoned on the right side.

I'm sure that you can get a set from Monster.

Oct 14, 2013 at 2:21 AM Post #305 of 2,308
Hold the sarcasm.

I might have held back my sarcasm if (i) I had had any or (ii) my joke had been made at your expense. 

Note that my comment about over-specificity came after an admission that I'd misunderstood you:

Originally posted by That Scrypt Person

In other words, I was so fatigued that I misread you as requesting an included cable designed specifically for your model of Sony music player.  Since you weren't asking for anything that ridiculous, the subsequent joke was at my expense, not yours. 

Luckily, I have an imaginary trust fund to cover not only the expense but the attendant legal fees.

I'm sure that you can get a set from Monster.

Or from Nintendo, if I can convince them to confect micro-OTG cables to match their Baskin Robbins assortment of styli:

Oct 14, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #306 of 2,308
In agreement with those reported on the official page:
Fiio E18 - Official page
the E18 can work with smartphone with USB OTG function.

Remains to be seen whether in addition to the functionality of USB host, the smartphone also has to supply power via USB and the E18 can work with the power of the internal battery.

I ask this because I've got a Galaxy S with cyanogenmod: with a specific kernel I can add this feature to my phone, but I know that the GS can not provide power via USB...

Oct 14, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #307 of 2,308
  In agreement with those reported on the official page:
Fiio E18 - Official page
the E18 can work with smartphone with USB OTG function.

Remains to be seen whether in addition to the functionality of USB host, the smartphone also has to supply power via USB and the E18 can work with the power of the internal battery.

I ask this because I've got a Galaxy S with cyanogenmod: with a specific kernel I can add this feature to my phone, but I know that the GS can not provide power via USB...

The E18 has a built in 3500Mah battery. Voodoo Sound should also be able to use the Dac function when you activate it in the voodoo sound settings.

Oct 15, 2013 at 7:25 AM Post #308 of 2,308

Which iteration of the Galaxy S do you own? If it's an S3 or S4, you ought to be able to use a Qi charger provided you install a wireless charging receiver.

From what I've read, Qi charging doesn't disrupt normal use and we know it doesn't require the USB port, so I'd imagine you could use any DAC and charge your phone that way.

I was just contemplating buying the official Qi charger when I returned to this thread and saw your post.

Oct 15, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #309 of 2,308
Thank you scrypt for your answer.

I think that I can use the E18 with Galaxy S and a specific kernel.
A made a question directly to Fiio support about this. Here is they answer:

"When E18 works as a DAC for the smartphone, the phone will not provide power for the E18. That is to say, the E18 will not consume the power of the smartphone when the E18 plays a role of DAC. Moreover, if you choose the external charger function by changing the switch,  the E18 can provide the power for the smartphone."

This is confirmed also on the official page: in the specification section is possible to read
"Battery life: 25 hours (amp only); 12 hours (AMP & DAC)."
So it seems that will be enough to enable the USB OTG function on the phone and the E18 can work also if the smartphone is not able to supply power via USB.

In the same mail, here is the answer by Fiio about when the E18 comes out:

"The E18 will start the trial-production in these days and firstly in China."

The official dealer of Fiio products here in Italy says me that in Europe the DAC/AMP will be available in the first days of december and will sell for 159€.

Oct 15, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #310 of 2,308
Originally Posted by carpler /img/forum/go_quote.gif

"When E18 works as a DAC for the smartphone, the phone will not provide power for the E18. That is to say, the E18 will not consume the power of the smartphone when the E18 plays a role of DAC. Moreover, if you choose the external charger function by changing the switch,  the E18 can provide the power for the smartphone."

This is confirmed also on the official page: in the specification section is possible to read
So it seems that will be enough to enable the USB OTG function on the phone and the E18 can work also if the smartphone is not able to supply power via USB.

The official dealer of Fiio products here in Italy says me that in Europe the DAC/AMP will be available in the first days of december and will sell for 159€.

So when the E18 works with a laptop is it going to only be able to work on battery or will the laptop power the DAC in those circumstances?

Oct 16, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #311 of 2,308

Yes, we aleady sell the E18 in China and Hong Kong, and will launch market in other region before X'mas

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Oct 16, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #312 of 2,308

So when the E18 works with a laptop is it going to only be able to work on battery or will the laptop power the DAC in those circumstances?

there are two micro usb socket , one for USB DAC and one for Power supply . so there are two workind mode with PC/Laptop.

1, The E18 is powered by the battery, and will has better sound performance compare with powered by USB power from PC/Laptop.

2, The E18 is powered by PC/Laptop, but you need to connect the E18 with PC/Laptop with two USB cable . one for USB charging and one for power.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Oct 16, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #314 of 2,308
  ??? What is the difference between charging and power?

If I'm not mistaken, power fuels the operation of the E18's DAC with the PC while charging fills the E18's battery.  That way, you can do two things at once -- listen while charging.

Still, James has said that not charging the E18 and using its battery for DAC power will sound better than powering it with the PC itself -- an idea that has applied to other battery-driven DACs in the past. 

Oct 16, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #315 of 2,308
??? What is the difference between charging and power?

I am going to assume he meant to say that 1 USB connection is for the dac connection, and the other (charging USB port on the e18) is for power only. So I would assume you can connect to pic and use the dac with just the USB plugged into the dac USB port of the e18, and then the e18 would run off battery. Adding the second USB port connection on the e18 could be plugged into either the computer to recharge, or probably also into a wall outlet or really any USB source, since it is seeking power only. Again, my interpretation of James' response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back