Fiio E18
Jan 4, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #1,846 of 2,308
I have a Note 3 on Verizon 4LTE network.  I have read that people have had problems with EMI when they have wi-fi enabled.  Massdrop has a deal on the E18 now so I am curious if this is a fairly universal problem or just certain people experienced this problem.

Rather strangely when I first got my e18 I got a lot of interference with my Note 3. I hardly notice it anymore, I can't say for sure whether it has improved or whether I've just got used to it. Needless to say it doesn't bother me and I'd definitely still recommend the e18.

Jan 4, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #1,847 of 2,308
Rather strangely when I first got my e18 I got a lot of interference with my Note 3. I hardly notice it anymore, I can't say for sure whether it has improved or whether I've just got used to it. Needless to say it doesn't bother me and I'd definitely still recommend the e18.

Thanks for the endorsement.  I am sensitive to EMI and I would picture it being an issue I cannot overlook.

Jan 4, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #1,848 of 2,308
Thanks for the endorsement.  I am sensitive to EMI and I would picture it being an issue I cannot overlook.

I seem to remember people at the time suggesting ferrite beads or tin foil in between the devices or something. The most effective method is not placing them on top of each other but as I said I can't recall it happening recently. It may have been an issue with more sensitive iems as I mainly use it with full size cans these days. It may also have been resolved in an update to Android of which there have been several.

Jan 4, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #1,849 of 2,308
  I have a Note 3 on Verizon 4LTE network.  I have read that people have had problems with EMI when they have wi-fi enabled.  Massdrop has a deal on the E18 now so I am curious if this is a fairly universal problem or just certain people experienced this problem.

I have the same phone on the same network. I experience this, even without wifi, when the phone does a digital cellular access. If I don't sandwich the phone I don't get this problem. It's far less with the Note 3 than I had previously with my GS3.

Jan 13, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #1,851 of 2,308
Looks like this one will work but I cannot guarantee since I have not used it personally.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/301228419677

Cables arrived today and work perfectly. The cables a bit stiff and doesnt really like being folded in half but a massive improvement over the originals and I actually feel confident that it won't damage my phones usb port if I carry it in my pocket out of the house unlike the downward facing cables bundled with the amp. Cheers for the link man and I can thoroughly recommend these cables to anyone else looking for an angled micro usb cable.

Jan 13, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #1,852 of 2,308
Cables arrived today and work perfectly. The cables a bit stiff and doesnt really like being folded in half but a massive improvement over the originals and I actually feel confident that it won't damage my phones usb port if I carry it in my pocket out of the house unlike the downward facing cables bundled with the amp. Cheers for the link man and I can thoroughly recommend these cables to anyone else looking for an angled micro usb cable.

Glad it worked out. Enjoy!

Jan 23, 2015 at 7:26 AM Post #1,853 of 2,308
Hello. I have noticed a fair amount of people having interference issues with the E18 and their phone but I have an issue with interference and my laptop. I have the E18 paired with my laptop as a DAC and then through a pair of Audioengine A5+. All is good until I decide to change wifi network then I get lots of crackling and the music stops and starts skipping track after track. Im wondering if this is an interference issue with the wifi or a driver problem? Any suggestions would be gratefully welcomed.

Jan 23, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #1,854 of 2,308
  Hello. I have noticed a fair amount of people having interference issues with the E18 and their phone but I have an issue with interference and my laptop. I have the E18 paired with my laptop as a DAC and then through a pair of Audioengine A5+. All is good until I decide to change wifi network then I get lots of crackling and the music stops and starts skipping track after track. Im wondering if this is an interference issue with the wifi or a driver problem? Any suggestions would be gratefully welcomed.

Ferrite clamps on your (USB) wires can help.
Alternatively, try setting your WiFi router manually to another channel and test different channels (and disable modes you do not use, ex. a/b; leave only the 5Mhz band active).

Why can one have interference?
Any wire is an antenna. The radio waves will try to find the first/best conductor they can find, so that will be your computers wires, motherboard, the E18 electronics, etc. This is nature and nothing can be done ... but ferrite clamps and/or shielding devices/wires.

Background info, tips and solutions:
http://analogictips.com/tips-electrical-noise-reduction/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_interference_at_2.4_GHz
http://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/32830/why-does-gsm-cause-speakers-to-buzz

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/site/d0c406516fd8b42b/
http://www.eargamers.com/guides/interference-wireless-gaming-headset/

http://superuser.com/questions/373327/wifi-static-noise-through-speakers-n-only
http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/wireless-causing-speaker-noise.144348/

Shielding can be around the computer/device and/or the ferrite clamps around the wires (USB, power, ...).
I hope this can help.

With kind regards,

Casperbxl

Jan 23, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #1,855 of 2,308
Casper thanks for the info. I will get myself some ferrite clamps next. Tried very basic shielding earlier by wrapping the E18 in tin foil but that made no difference. Also switched the router to 5GHZ but no joy. Fingers crossed the clamps help.

Jan 24, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #1,856 of 2,308
Casper do you think my issue is actually interference. I say this because when playing music normally everything is absolutely fine. Its only when I select the wifi icon on the task bar that I get the cracking and popping noise. The minute I close the wifi settings on the task bar everything goes back to normal. This issue seems to point more to a driver problem as if it was interference surely it would happen more randomly and not at the exact time of opening the settings.

Jan 25, 2015 at 2:43 AM Post #1,857 of 2,308
  Casper do you think my issue is actually interference. I say this because when playing music normally everything is absolutely fine. Its only when I select the wifi icon on the task bar that I get the cracking and popping noise. The minute I close the wifi settings on the task bar everything goes back to normal. This issue seems to point more to a driver problem as if it was interference surely it would happen more randomly and not at the exact time of opening the settings.

Hmmm, very strange ... you could be correct.

I hope i did not send you into costs ...  
And I hope you can solve the issue and let us know. We can all learn from any experience.

With kind regards,

Casper

Jan 25, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #1,858 of 2,308
Casper lol no I have not bought anything yet. No chance as working in Saudi Arabia and not really spoilt for choice when it comes to electronics. Anyway I have narrowed the problem down to drivers 100%. Have installed Windows 10 as a second operating system and the problem has gone. Reboot into Windows 8.1 and the problem returns. The only option I have at the minute is to try and extract the USB audio driver from 10 and install it on 8. Will keep you posted if I get it sorted out.

Jan 26, 2015 at 12:42 AM Post #1,859 of 2,308
  Casper lol no I have not bought anything yet. No chance as working in Saudi Arabia and not really spoilt for choice when it comes to electronics. Anyway I have narrowed the problem down to drivers 100%. Have installed Windows 10 as a second operating system and the problem has gone. Reboot into Windows 8.1 and the problem returns. The only option I have at the minute is to try and extract the USB audio driver from 10 and install it on 8. Will keep you posted if I get it sorted out.

:)    Great!  And ... with Win 10 you're all set.

Feb 6, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #1,860 of 2,308
My e18's USB in port recently stopped working.  When I plug it into my macbook pro (with the switch set to PC IN), it charges but doesn't get recognized as an output device.  I've also tried attaching my galaxy through the mini-usb cables and also can't get it to work (switch set to phone in).  

Is there somewhere I can send it to get repaired?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back