Fiio E18
Jan 2, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #1,831 of 2,308
Looks like this one will work but I cannot guarantee since I have not used it personally.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/301228419677

Jan 2, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #1,832 of 2,308
Jan 2, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #1,833 of 2,308
It's not easy to find an OTG cable with micro B USB connectors at both ends. You could try using an OTG with a right angle micro USB at the phone with a free end that has a female type A. From there a short (or long) normal USB cable (Type A Male to Micro USB male) to the E18.

I know these are difficult to source as I tried to get a right angled one when I first purchased it. I can't believe sixth months later there's still a gap in the market. I'm almost considering starting to produce them myself!!
@Stan D thanks for the reply but was hoping for a more purpose built solution. I might try my luck contacting Fiio direct and see if they'll mail me a replacement.

Jan 2, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #1,834 of 2,308
Looks like this one will work but I cannot guarantee since I have not used it personally.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/301228419677

Oh my God, you have got some serious respect. I literally spent an hour trawling ebay, Amazon, Aliexpress, Google etc this afternoon and found nothing. Going to order a hoard of them before they vanish into the ether again! Thank you!!:grinning::grinning::grinning:

Jan 2, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #1,835 of 2,308
Oh my God, you have got some serious respect. I literally spent an hour trawling ebay, Amazon, Aliexpress, Google etc this afternoon and found nothing. Going to order a hoard of them before they vanish into the ether again! Thank you!!:grinning::grinning::grinning:

You're welcome mate. Hope it works.

Jan 3, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #1,836 of 2,308

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/spare-parts/1473108_259460100.html

Jan 3, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #1,837 of 2,308
Hi guys. I am after some advice please...

I wanted to buy an E18 but have just seen that the E17K has just been released.

Are we expecting the E18 to be updated soon, or is the E17K the better option, or just buy the E18 as it is now?

I mainly want to use it with my Sony Z1 Compact mobile.

Thank you.

Christopher

Jan 3, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #1,838 of 2,308

Thanks Franklin, I've already ordered a few of the other linked cable as it is right angled which will allow it to piggy back more effectively on my phone. The straight cable always put quite a lot of unecessary pressure on my phones charging socket when docked with the e18 in my pocket. Still, good to have all these links in one place for others in a similar position to find.

Jan 3, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #1,839 of 2,308
Seriously

Seriously, what is wrong with my searches?

I even typed the description exactly as it appeared in the linked page.

The same thing with the right angled cable on ebay

No wonder I can't find stuff, I reckon my wife has pleaded with Google to stop audio related searches returning results haha:smile::smile:

Jan 4, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #1,840 of 2,308
Hi guys. I am after some advice please...

I wanted to buy an E18 but have just seen that the E17K has just been released.

Are we expecting the E18 to be updated soon, or is the E17K the better option, or just buy the E18 as it is now?

I mainly want to use it with my Sony Z1 Compact mobile.

Thank you.

Christopher

I've not used or read anything about the new e17k but know that the older version was not meant to work as well with Android. The E18 is superb in my opinion and is built specifically for Android devices so works out of the box. I did read somewhere about someone having an issue with the otg cable as the socket was on the side of their Sony phone but the angled longer one linked above should work. I did also read a review about the new e11k which did not seem to see the revisions from the e11 as improvements. Just a couple of things to consider.

Jan 4, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #1,841 of 2,308
I believe the main problem with Android was that it didn't have a "functioning" USB audio output driver (something was wrong with the Jelly Bean builds etc. for most devices", and so Android audio out via the USB port just didn't work with most DACs unless the DAC manufacturer specifically took some extra steps to make it work.  From what I have read so far, I think that is what E18 actually does.  As for whether E18 or E17K is better, it might be a good idea to take a look at the spec/features sheet and see what your needs are.  The sound quality "supposedly" does not differ too much, but that is only what I have heard someone else say, I have not been able to compare the two myself yet.

Jan 4, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #1,842 of 2,308
From what I read before buying my E18 Fiio made a conscious decision to move away from the warmer sounding Wolfson DAC to the more analytical Texas Instruments versions. I've not heard the for,et but I wouldn't say the E18 sounds overly bright or anything but it definitely is a bit more edgy than my Sabre equipped ODAC. The E18 is a very good portable solution though for Android devices, particularly those with not so good in-built DAC's such as my Galaxy Note 3.

Don't use the bands either, they just get in the way with a touch screen. Use the 3M tape I used in my build and it's all relatively discreet. There are pictures of what to buy and how to apply it in this thread somewhere, posted by myself.

Jan 4, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #1,843 of 2,308
  I believe the main problem with Android was that it didn't have a "functioning" USB audio output driver (something was wrong with the Jelly Bean builds etc. for most devices", and so Android audio out via the USB port just didn't work with most DACs unless the DAC manufacturer specifically took some extra steps to make it work.  From what I have read so far, I think that is what E18 actually does.  As for whether E18 or E17K is better, it might be a good idea to take a look at the spec/features sheet and see what your needs are.  The sound quality "supposedly" does not differ too much, but that is only what I have heard someone else say, I have not been able to compare the two myself yet.

Some smartphone manufacturers such as Samsung, Sony, etc. made their USB implementations work, others do not support OTG in hardware an others not in their drivers. In these cases there's nothing  a DAC manufacturer can do. There are some differences at some of the source implementations and this is where DAC manufacturers can do something. I find that my E18 and Schiit Bifrost (with powered Hub) work with all of my Android devices that support native USB Audio andcurrent  iDevices as well.

Jan 4, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #1,844 of 2,308
This stuff...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007Y7HB40/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1420394123&sr=8-1&dpPl=1&dpID=51gbqi%2BQA4L&ref=plSrch&pi=AC_SY200_QL40

A short strip on the E18 and another on a specific outdoor case (I chose an Otterbox Commuter) and you're good to go. It's very secure (I can lift the combo either by amp or phone) and I'm still on my first strips nearly a year since I first applied them. It looks way slicker than elastic bands.

Jan 4, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #1,845 of 2,308
I have a Note 3 on Verizon 4LTE network.  I have read that people have had problems with EMI when they have wi-fi enabled.  Massdrop has a deal on the E18 now so I am curious if this is a fairly universal problem or just certain people experienced this problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back