Fiio E18
Aug 24, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #1,742 of 2,308
Thank you for your help,It does work.

And now you can enjoy listening to music. 
happy_face1.gif

Sep 14, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #1,744 of 2,308
Just a random question from someone interested in buying.

When you plug it into a windows pc, is the volume forced to maximum or does the mute button work in windows? (Also does master volume control work?)

Thanks!

Sep 15, 2014 at 1:07 AM Post #1,745 of 2,308
  Just a random question from someone interested in buying.

When you plug it into a windows pc, is the volume forced to maximum or does the mute button work in windows? (Also does master volume control work?)

Thanks!

Hi mate,

No you keep standard windows volume control.
However, this also depends on how you use it. It you use the ASIO driver the output is digital and straight from the player software to the soundcard (or E18). That removes that standard windows volume controls. This is standard with all DAC's and ASIO drivers.

Regards,

Casper

Sep 15, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #1,746 of 2,308
When I use the E18 with my laptop running JRiver Media Centre 19 it connects showing: "SPDIF Interfeace (2 - FiiO USB DAC - E18) [WASAPI]".

Is this the best connection? I see posters talking about the use of ASIO drivers. Does this lead to a different connection option than that above?

If so, does it sound any better? Thanks!

Sep 15, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #1,747 of 2,308
  When I use the E18 with my laptop running JRiver Media Centre 19 it connects showing: "SPDIF Interfeace (2 - FiiO USB DAC - E18) [WASAPI]".

Is this the best connection? I see posters talking about the use of ASIO drivers. Does this lead to a different connection option than that above?

If so, does it sound any better? Thanks!

The application must support the ASIO drivers. Like Foobar (free) or MediaMonkey.

The ASIO driver avoids your OS (Windows or so) to get in between the software and the DAC.
This will result in most cases in lower latency on the signal.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_Stream_Input/Output

In how far you will be able to hear this is another matter...

I hope this can help,

Casper

Oct 5, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #1,748 of 2,308
Here is how I solved the problem with having noise when wifi is enabled on my smartphone:

I sticked a backcover to the e18 because I wanted to use my S3 standalone, too.

Now I just sticked a piece of aluminium-tape inside the backcover in the upper part.
The impact to the WLAN reception is minor but the noise is totally gone.

That`s all!

Regards

Marc

Oct 27, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #1,749 of 2,308
Would the JDS Labs C5D be superior to this for use with Westone W4r out of a Droid Maxx?  I suppose the phone is irrelevant since I plan on using via USB 

I can't seem to get a clear consensus on W4r + E18 (or if it even works out of the box with my phone)

Oct 29, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #1,751 of 2,308
Do you find the W4R demanding of an amp? The DAC part I may understand depending on your DAP, but I have yet to find one that does not power these well enough.

Oct 30, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #1,753 of 2,308
how does the FIIO E17/E18 compare with JDS Labs CD5? Alo the Island? Bifrost/Asgard 2 combo?

Looking for something great to power my AKG K712 pro's - right now I have a FIIO E17 and I'm not sure if it's doing the best job

Nov 4, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #1,754 of 2,308
Pretty disappointed im getting mad interference when connected via usb to my Droid Maxx. The only time it disaplears is when my phone is in airplane mode which is obviously unusable. Have there been any solutions to this? I saw discussion around page 35 but not really any solution

Nov 7, 2014 at 6:43 AM Post #1,755 of 2,308
I'm sure I've seen some people putting a layer of tinfoil between phone & amp, if that helps. I get no such problems with my Note 3 which tends to suggest it's a problem specific to your phone. Imagine what that interference is doing to your brain as you use the phone...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back