Fiio E18
May 22, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #1,517 of 2,308
Good morning everyone. I've had an E18 for awhile now and love it. It has worked flawlessly with my Samsung Galaxy Note 2. Great bang for our buck with this device.

I'm curious as to if anyone has had any luck using the E18 with an LG G Pad 8.3 running Android 4.4.2? I just bought this tablet and haven't had any luck with the E18. The G Pad recognizes something is happening when the E18 is plugged in while powered on (or powered off, plugged in and then turned on) because it starts playing music through the tablet, but nothing through the E18. I've tried Google Play, Neutron, Poweramp and USB Audio Recorder. USB Audio Recorder is especially weird because it gives me a message stating that there is an "error initialized USB" and then "loading of MP3's is not possible yet!" when attempting to play an MP3 file.

Any thoughts/pointers/etc. would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

May 22, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #1,519 of 2,308
  Good morning everyone. I've had an E18 for awhile now and love it. It has worked flawlessly with my Samsung Galaxy Note 2. Great bang for our buck with this device.

I'm curious as to if anyone has had any luck using the E18 with an LG G Pad 8.3 running Android 4.4.2? I just bought this tablet and haven't had any luck with the E18. The G Pad recognizes something is happening when the E18 is plugged in while powered on (or powered off, plugged in and then turned on) because it starts playing music through the tablet, but nothing through the E18. I've tried Google Play, Neutron, Poweramp and USB Audio Recorder. USB Audio Recorder is especially weird because it gives me a message stating that there is an "error initialized USB" and then "loading of MP3's is not possible yet!" when attempting to play an MP3 file.

Any thoughts/pointers/etc. would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

The LG G Pad 8.3 using USB Audio Recorder PRO (UARP) should work with the E18:
http://www.extreamsd.com/USBAudioRecorderPRO/

"Important: connect your device BEFORE starting the app, otherwise it will not get detected! When you connected your device before starting the app and it gave you a 'failed to initialize or open the USB device' message or similar".

As far as I know, UARP can't play MP3 file; USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP) can.

May 22, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #1,520 of 2,308

The LG G Pad 8.3 using USB Audio Recorder PRO (UARP) should work with the E18:
http://www.extreamsd.com/USBAudioRecorderPRO/

"Important: connect your device BEFORE starting the app, otherwise it will not get detected! When you connected your device before starting the app and it gave you a 'failed to initialize or open the USB device' message or similar".

As far as I know, UARP can't play MP3 file; USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP) can.

I was hoping you'd chime in! I've been following your Android-related posts for over a year now. You are a veritable wealth of knowledge.  :)

Any thoughts on whether Android 4.4.2 might be the culprit and the potential for a software fix from Android and/or Fiio in the future?

May 22, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #1,521 of 2,308
Nothing changes, as the request to Google to support USB audio is still ongoing:
https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=24614&sort=-stars&colspec=ID%20Type%20Status%20Owner%20Summary%20Stars

For the time being, each Android device maker has its own USB audio implementation, and developers of a given Android device and a given USB DAC may have different interpretation of some part of the USB specification.
The UAPP/UARP developer has the best understanding of the USB specification, hence the best USB audio implementation; and we can contact him.

May 24, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #1,522 of 2,308
The E18 is working fine with my Xperia Z1 compact. All apps work with it such as poweramp, YouTube, soundcloud etc.
I can still adjust the built in equaliser on the phone as well as poweramp's.

I'm just a little confused as to why I can still control the volume on both my phone and the E18. I thought that if it's the E18 that's converting the music signals to analogue and then amping them, then only the E18 can control the volume. Hence it seems like I'm only using the amp part of the E18. I am using the supplied micro usb cable.

I don't have much knowledge of usb audio so I could be wrong; I hope the dac part of the E18 is being used as well as the amp.

Could anyone shed some light on this please?

May 24, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #1,523 of 2,308
For those of you who own an e18 - can you speak a little to how this device works as a dac for a PC? I've heard good things about use with Android, but I haven't heard a whole lot about PC dac. I do most of my listening on a PC but have recently started tuning in more on my phone. I'm thinking about giving the e18 a try and wonder what people think. Thanks!!

May 24, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #1,525 of 2,308
It's got more to with the phone rather than Android version. Works fine with my SGN3 running 4.4.2.

May 24, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #1,527 of 2,308
That's what I still have problem with my note 3 after I'd upgraded to kitkat 4.4.2.

Newbie with my 2 cents.

I am running a Note 3, connected to the E18, using Poweramp(full version)with my Sony MDR 1RBTMK2, and everything is working perfectly. My Note 3 has 4.4.2 also my Tab Pro.

I am assuming everybody runnin 4.4.2 has all the updates

May 24, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #1,528 of 2,308
  For those of you who own an e18 - can you speak a little to how this device works as a dac for a PC? I've heard good things about use with Android, but I haven't heard a whole lot about PC dac. I do most of my listening on a PC but have recently started tuning in more on my phone. I'm thinking about giving the e18 a try and wonder what people think. Thanks!!

As I always state before I comment, I am a 3 to 4 month newbie. With that said.. 
wink.gif

At work I connect the E18 up to my Dell 790, I have a set of Harman Kardon BT phones that use at work. It pumps the Harman Kardon nicely. I am listening to FLAC files. My coworkers are complaining that I am in another world with the headphones on.. Indeed I am..
cool.gif

When you connect the Fiio E18 to the pc, it will automatically install the drivers. Also, you might have to go to control panel, sound, and there you should see the Fiio E18, you chose that as default..

May 24, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #1,529 of 2,308
  As I always state before I comment, I am a 3 to 4 month newbie. With that said.. 
wink.gif

At work I connect the E18 up to my Dell 790, I have a set of Harman Kardon BT phones that use at work. It pumps the Harman Kardon nicely. I am listening to FLAC files. My coworkers are complaining that I am in another world with the headphones on.. Indeed I am..
cool.gif

When you connect the Fiio E18 to the pc, it will automatically install the drivers. Also, you might have to go to control panel, sound, and there you should see the Fiio E18, you chose that as default..

Thanks for the response. I guess with so many options available, I'm having a hard time deciding on what to go for. I'm using V-Moda m100s, which don't take a whole lot to drive. Because of this, I probably don't need a very high powered amp. I have a Nuforce udac-3 right now, but I'm not very satisfied with the design. I'd like to find something that allows for some eq like bass boost and maybe treble adjustment. The e17 seemed like a good option but I'm just not convinced.

May 24, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #1,530 of 2,308
For the record the DAC in the E18 is vastly superior to the in - built DAC of my European SGN3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back