Fiio E18
May 14, 2014 at 5:08 AM Post #1,501 of 2,308
The charger cuts off after the battery is full.
smily_headphones1.gif

Hi,
Thanks for this info!

This might seem like a stupid question, but, when using the E18 as a PC-DAC/AMP (USB-connection to a computer, giving audio- and power-input), after the battery is fully charged and the charger cuts off, will the E18 get its power directly from the pc (bypassing the battery), or still through the battery?
(I suppose the former, as the latter would make the charger turn on and off repeatedly, but I just wanted to be sure.)

Will it also work in the same way (stopping the charging automatically when fully charged ànd bypassing the battery from than on) if the E18 is used as a DAC/AMP, but using also a second USB-cable to charge/power the E18 through its other USB-port?
(If I understand correctly, the second USB-connection would make it charge more quickly (if 2A), but I thought I've read somewhere that it would also be better for the SQ.)

May 15, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #1,502 of 2,308

The charger cuts off after the battery is full.
smily_headphones1.gif

Hi,
Thanks for this info!

This might seem like a stupid question, but, when using the E18 as a PC-DAC/AMP (USB-connection to a computer, giving audio- and power-input), after the battery is fully charged and the charger cuts off, will the E18 get its power directly from the pc (bypassing the battery), or still through the battery?
(I suppose the former, as the latter would make the charger turn on and off repeatedly, but I just wanted to be sure.)

Will it also work in the same way (stopping the charging automatically when fully charged ànd bypassing the battery from than on) if the E18 is used as a DAC/AMP, but using also a second USB-cable to charge/power the E18 through its other USB-port?
(If I understand correctly, the second USB-connection would make it charge more quickly (if 2A), but I thought I've read somewhere that it would also be better for the SQ.)

Not a stupid question.

The E18 has a toggle switch on it's back side which is used to select "PC in", "phone in" and "charge out". As per name sake, you connect it to the PC with it toggled to "PC in" and it will serve as a DAC+amp combo PLUS charge its internal battery if needed be. So treat it like a normal desktop DAC/amp except it draws its power from the PC from the same cable, while happens to double as a portable dac/amp/battery bank.

To answer your question, the E18 draws power directly from the PC, and there's no need for a second cable. And usually you won't have to worry about how the battery charging is managed.
(If you are still really concerned, then there's a second micro-usb jack next to the toggle-able jack, and that is used to plug into phone chargers/mains).

I use mine mainly as a desktop DAC/amp since it seems to be a fair bit better than the onboard sound outs on the motherboard and I leave it plugged in all the time. Never been a problem.

May 16, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #1,503 of 2,308
Thanks for the info!

I was also planning to use it mainly stationary at work, connected to my laptop, but sometimes also at home, with my Android-tablet. The main reason of my question, was some concern about the lifespan of the E18's battery if I would use it that often for long times with my laptop: my Dell laptop batteries seem to die quite quickly from being mostly used like that in a docking-station...
I guess I'll have to wait and see what happens with the E18's battery. Worst case scenario, I'll be left with a small desktop-amp
atsmile.gif

In the meantime...my E18 just arrived today! I've only used it very briefly over the past hour (as a DAC&AMP on my laptop with my Sony MDR-7506), so I will wait before jumping to conclusions.

May 20, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #1,507 of 2,308
I don't hear a whine.

May 20, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #1,508 of 2,308
  Doesn't anyone hear a high pitched whine with the bass boost on? I'm hearing it on my UE900 and SE535 LTD's.

You are not the only one. And I'm also with the SE535 LTD.

May 20, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #1,509 of 2,308
I'm nearly 50, those days are long gone.

Ha, I just saw that.. Those days can be come back, if you want them..
I am 74, and still banging.. 
cool.gif

Ha, I came here to report of my E18 and ran into that post. Well, for a while there I thought I was going to return E18. Right now, it is working perfectly off my PC with the Harman Kardon BT listening to FLAC.. I had it hooked to my AKG K550, and it wasn't all that nice.. Put my AKG K550 into my O2+ODAC and it was pure sweetness. I am newbie, and I am finding out quickly that pairing the amp/dac is  needed.. So, far happy camper.. Also, I have to be on the watch for bad source files going into amp/dac and good headphones coming out with garbage, because the source files are garbage or not good.

Again, 74, and still kicking, and daggone fast too.   
beerchug.gif

May 20, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #1,510 of 2,308
  Doesn't anyone hear a high pitched whine with the bass boost on? I'm hearing it on my UE900 and SE535 LTD's.

I am a newbie, with that said, what about your source files?  I am listening to mine right now, connected to my PC using Harman Kardon BT headphones, but I am playing FLAC files. Sound is awesome.. Now, I have played some mp3 files, and some of them rattle, grind all kinds of things..In my newbie mind, I figured it to be bad source files.. BTW, I got the bass on and gain on high.. Listening to "Cinema Paradiso - The Classic Film Music Of Ennio Morricone".. Wow!!!!!!!!!

May 20, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #1,511 of 2,308
  I am a newbie, with that said, what about your source files?  I am listening to mine right now, connected to my PC using Harman Kardon BT headphones, but I am playing FLAC files. Sound is awesome.. Now, I have played some mp3 files, and some of them rattle, grind all kinds of things..In my newbie mind, I figured it to be bad source files.. BTW, I got the bass on and gain on high.. Listening to "Cinema Paradiso - The Classic Film Music Of Ennio Morricone".. Wow!!!!!!!!!

Using FLAC's & 320k MP3's. But that's not the problem. I can hear it without any music playing.

May 20, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #1,512 of 2,308
  Using FLAC's & 320k MP3's. But that's not the problem. I can hear it without any music playing.

How old is it? I am still within my 30 day Amazon return window. Hooking up to the PC,  I thought I would have to return mine, but all I had to do was to go to control panel, sound, and make the Fiio the default.. Most likely something you are over looking. But, if you can't find it, and you in your return window, return it.

May 20, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #1,513 of 2,308
  How old is it? I am still within my 30 day Amazon return window. Hooking up to the PC,  I thought I would have to return mine, but all I had to do was to go to control panel, sound, and make the Fiio the default.. Most likely something you are over looking. But, if you can't find it, and you in your return window, return it.

I do that everyday for switching between my speakers and E18. Can't return to the shop I bought from as it's already over a month...
At first I thought I'd never use the bass boost so I thought it's ok until I went back to EDM. Despite the annoying issue, I'm still happy with the E18/UE 900 combo (bass boost off, low gain). But for the E18/ SE535 LTD combo though... just NO. The whine is even louder than the UE 900 & is still there even with bass boost off (low gain too).  The whine does not exist on either combo if you are using the amp only. I'm very sure its not a problem with my IEM's. Tested it with a total of 3 E18's at 2 different shops & a total of 5 IEM's(other 3: GR07 Classic, Westone 4R & Klipsch S4). All produced whine with bass boost on with SE535 LTD's being the worst pairing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back