Fiio E18
Mar 12, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #1,276 of 2,308
Or for slightly more than $3.25 you could buy this...

http://www.aloaudio.com/copper-22-balanced

I know it's expensive but it's supposed to be good. I've thought about it myself.

Mar 12, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #1,277 of 2,308
I am pretty sure you are kidding...or at least I hope so cause wow...talk about snake oil..this industry never ceases to amaze!
eek.gif

Mar 12, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #1,278 of 2,308
I'd buy that cable if it made a sonic difference and I could afford it. I don't know how it sounds though and I know I can't afford it right now. Cables can make a difference though.

Mar 12, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #1,279 of 2,308
I'd buy that cable if it made a sonic difference and I could afford it. I don't know how it sounds though and I know I can't afford it right now. Cables can make a difference though.

No the dont!
I know a LOT better than that..I worked on the industry before for an online speakers company...we use the same bogus, magical terms to describe our products to sell them because simply put..there is people gullible enough to pay for them...not proud of it but the person buying is as guilty as the one selling.
Sorry man, if you really think such cable can really make a difference then I got nothing else to say here...

Mar 12, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #1,280 of 2,308
I've heard cables sounding differently from one another. I'm not saying this one does. Frankly I can't see it as it's too short but not having heard it I couldn't say for sure. Are you saying all cable sounds the same?

Mar 12, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #1,281 of 2,308
I've heard cables sounding differently from one another. I'm not saying this one does. Frankly I can't see it as it's too short but not having heard it I couldn't say for sure. Are you saying all cable sounds the same?

Cables undoubtedly make a difference! I just picked up the ADL Cables for my Shure SE535s for $100, and they have made a significant difference in sound quality (its also cause my original cables were 4yrs old and starting to oxidize) but they also carried an analog signal that is much easier to loose through cable. 

Digital is a little different especially USB cables and such especially over such a short distance and considering its being used on portable amps and not $100,000 equipment that would actually be able to detect the minimal loss. Also because of the way USB Audio out works its a little like a two way communication stream, so if too much data is being lost it should just resend pockets of digital data to the DAC. 

I'll see if i can do a make a better cable for the usb to usb and see if it makes an actual difference. Unless that cable was made of pure gold, shouldn't cost more then $10-15

Mar 13, 2014 at 1:36 AM Post #1,283 of 2,308
Unless the USB cable changes the font on the 1's and the 0's, it's going to sound exactly the same. You can't "color" digital signals with analog equipment. You'd need software for that.

It's all fine and dandy that you guys buy different USB cables for aesthetic or practical reasons. Just keep in mind that the DATA SIGNAL will be the exact same signal on EVERY CABLE. A great way to prove it: use the USB cable to transfer photos or to print -- if the outcome is the same, then it's the same data signal and the same goes for digital audio. It's 1's and 0's, not an analog audio signal.

Mar 13, 2014 at 1:48 AM Post #1,284 of 2,308
Back to the E18!

Anyone else noticing the battery indicator is unreliable and all over the place?

I had 3 light, connected it to my phone and flipped the switch to charge and it went down to two lights then 1 after like 10 min. So I took it off and it went to two. I put it on charge and it went to 1, let it charge for a bit till the third led was flashing and took it off charge and using it as line in amp and it's at 1 led.

I don't know if it's 80% or 8% charged anymore. Anyone else experiencing this or should I be asking fiio what's going on with my device?

Mar 13, 2014 at 4:35 AM Post #1,285 of 2,308
Is "balanced USB' even a thing? Looks like they picked a random audiophile sounding word to add to the description to justify the spurious extra $120.

Unless the USB cable changes the font on the 1's and the 0's, it's going to sound exactly the same. You can't "color" digital signals with analog equipment. You'd need software for that.

It's all fine and dandy that you guys buy different USB cables for aesthetic or practical reasons. Just keep in mind that the DATA SIGNAL will be the exact same signal on EVERY CABLE. A great way to prove it: use the USB cable to transfer photos or to print -- if the outcome is the same, then it's the same data signal and the same goes for digital audio. It's 1's and 0's, not an analog audio signal.

I totally understand what you guys are saying. This is a DIGITAL cable, so yes, you are all correct. I don't believe the hype either. 1's & 0's are always going to be 1's & 0's, no matter how fancy it looks.

My actual reason for initially looking at this cable was a need for an OTG USB cable with right angled plugs on either end, so as best to mate my Note 3 with my Fiio E18. This was all we could find which did this.

Mar 13, 2014 at 4:42 AM Post #1,286 of 2,308
Back to the E18!

Anyone else noticing the battery indicator is unreliable and all over the place?

I had 3 light, connected it to my phone and flipped the switch to charge and it went down to two lights then 1 after like 10 min. So I took it off and it went to two. I put it on charge and it went to 1, let it charge for a bit till the third led was flashing and took it off charge and using it as line in amp and it's at 1 led.

I don't know if it's 80% or 8% charged anymore. Anyone else experiencing this or should I be asking fiio what's going on with my device?

I'm not clear on what you're trying to achieve.

What are you trying to charge? If it's the phone then the battery in the E18 is going to run down because it is the source. If you're trying to charge the E18 then you're using the wrong port.

Mar 13, 2014 at 5:02 AM Post #1,287 of 2,308
I pity anyone who tells me there is a difference in how a 4 inch cable "sounds". In the end this is gonna cost lots of money.

But... If its in you mind.

I spoke once with a HiFi aficionado who told me that his 10.000 Euros a piece speakers sounded great. I only replied with a few words "They better be".

"I rather listen to great music on a mid-Fi system than to lousy music on a super-duper HiFi High-End system"

Back on topic now.

Can't the E18 dealer get some of those OTG cables?

Mar 13, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #1,288 of 2,308
I'm not clear on what you're trying to achieve.

What are you trying to charge? If it's the phone then the battery in the E18 is going to run down because it is the source. If you're trying to charge the E18 then you're using the wrong port.

Sorry, yeah it was a little complicated. 

I'm just wondering if anyone else sees the charge indicator fluctuate and be unrepresentative of actual charge remaining within the amp. For me it seems to either just keep all 3 leds  lit until i try and set it to charge mode (charge the phone) at which point it will dramatically drop to 1 led. or when charging the amp it self it seems to go up one led just by plugging it in. Nothing major just find myself not really knowing when i need to charge the amp, as its actually only died on me once so far. 

Mar 13, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #1,289 of 2,308
I understand now. Why not make sure one evening that the amp is fully charged and your phone almost fully discharged. Ignore the lights and see how much it charges the phone. I've never used the charge function of the E18 as the battery in my Note 3 is almost as big.

Mar 13, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #1,290 of 2,308
You know those rubber bands they supply to attach your amp to your phone / player? Crap right? This is a Fiio E18 being securely attached (whilst still being removable) to my Otterbox Commuter cased Samsung GN3. The case is important for reasons I explain later on.

Here's a couple of photos to show the material I used to connect my Fiio E18 to my phone. This 'tape' is excellent. It looks like Velcro but is much stronger than that. Remember stickle bricks?

Below is a link to the precise grade of tape I bought. Someone else here bought the grade above and it was so secure it was incredibly difficult to separate the components once attached. This link is to the same tape but one grade below. It's so strong I'd have no problems trusting it with three times the weight used here. This is an Amazon link but hardware stores and builders merchants sometimes sell it too.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004AQFBE0/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just cut two strips to fit both your amp and your phone. They don't have to be millimetre perfect. These are about 4" long but this stuff is so secure 2" would be enough.

Do make sure you apply the strips right down the middle of the devices. Anything out here (even 1mm) will make you look like an incompetent ass who shouldn't be allowed near a kettle.

This photo's only here so you can see my deep Scottish tan. Cool huh?

You need to be careful at this part. You need to squeeze the two components together and the force required seems excessive. It's fine as long as make sure to spread the load right across your screen. Screen protectors are useful here. Do one end and the rest will just fall into place. If I had a third hand there would be photo of the big squeeze here. Sorry. Once the two pieces are together it will look snug and feel like one solid component. Or a bomb.

Superfluous image of sexy man things. Calm down at the back there.

Taking it apart requires a lot of force but it does come apart. I've had mines apart loads of times with no damage to anything. I'd really advise fitting a secure case to your phone. I use an Otterbox Commuter case for my phone and love it. You don't have to use an Otterbox but whatever you do use make sure it's secure and not one of those daft rubber bumper efforts. When the amp needs charged just run caseless. If you apply the tape to a bare phone it means your phone is out of action when you're charging the amp. An amp charge takes up to 4 hours.

I hope that's of some use to people. If you ****it up it's your responsibility but it works a treat and a million times better than elastic bands on a touchscreen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back