Fiio E18
Feb 5, 2014 at 4:35 AM Post #1,051 of 2,308
I will certainly write an impression.
Anyway, the rumor is that only Note3 with samsung kitkat may restrict 3rd parties' accessories (I know about the flip case, but haven't heard about USB OTG voice/video)

Feb 5, 2014 at 7:48 AM Post #1,054 of 2,308
Reporting that it works flawlessly with my iPhone and iPad.

But, I get a high-pitched noise from it (both when music is played and when nothing is played), even from my PC. I can learn to live with it, it's not that big of a deal, but I'm just wanting to make sure that I'm not carrying around a possible grenade or atomic bomb in my pants... I mean, it's just noise, not a sign that it will die soon, right?

Feb 5, 2014 at 9:38 AM Post #1,055 of 2,308
  Reporting that it works flawlessly with my iPhone and iPad.

But, I get a high-pitched noise from it (both when music is played and when nothing is played), even from my PC. I can learn to live with it, it's not that big of a deal, but I'm just wanting to make sure that I'm not carrying around a possible grenade or atomic bomb in my pants... I mean, it's just noise, not a sign that it will die soon, right?

You shouldn't be getting a high pitch from it. Perhaps you should make use of the warranty.

Feb 5, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #1,056 of 2,308
  You shouldn't be getting a high pitch from it. Perhaps you should make use of the warranty.

I've thought of that as well, but I wanted to see if it's a known issue and if so, if it's dangerous to my headphones before deciding to change mode from "Lazy" to "Good and responsible headphone owner". It's kind of like tinnitus sounding high pitched "beep", and it's not loud at all. After some amateur testing it's only there when the bass boost is on, not when it's off. Also, when it's on, it doesn't get louder if I increase the volume, but stays static.

Feb 5, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #1,057 of 2,308
  I've thought of that as well, but I wanted to see if it's a known issue and if so, if it's dangerous to my headphones before deciding to change mode from "Lazy" to "Good and responsible headphone owner". It's kind of like tinnitus sounding high pitched "beep", and it's not loud at all. After some amateur testing it's only there when the bass boost is on, not when it's off. Also, when it's on, it doesn't get louder if I increase the volume, but stays static.

You shouldn't have problems with the product and deserve one that functions correctly. Why should you put up with this, ask for a replacement or a proper repair.

Feb 5, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #1,058 of 2,308
  You shouldn't have problems with the product and deserve one that functions correctly. Why should you put up with this, ask for a replacement or a proper repair.

Yeah, I'll throw an email to the importing company in question to see how they'd handle it. 

Feb 5, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #1,059 of 2,308
  Hope to get my FiiO E18 today; to couple with my Shure SE846 and my Galaxy S4 (kitkat).

BTW. did anyone try the E18 DAC togetehr with the C&C BH2 (or BH)?

Thanks

I don't know if you've already received your E18 and perhaps already tried it with a C&C BH2 that you already own, but anyway, I tried my E18 with my BH2 and the combo works quite well. My ears are not very sensitive to high fidelity, and I must admit it's sometimes hard for me to discern the improvement in sound quality between the E18 alone or the BH2 alone compared to using no external DAC or amp; however, the improvement in sound quality using the E18 and BH2 together is just barely enough that I can definitely discern an improvement in sound quality over plugging my headphones straight into my MacBook Pro. The two most apparent changes I can discern are the stronger bass (likely due in no small part to the E18's bass boost function) and a more spacious soundstage (probably more thanks to the BH2 rather than the E18). So if you already own a BH2, they'll play together quite nicely. However, I've just recently purchased both new, and as the difference in sound improvement is so subtle, I think I'm actually going to be returning both, as, for my purposes, neither are worth the $106/$160, and the two combined definitely aren't worth the $266 for me. It's a shame, because I feel like I lucked out with my E18 working 100% flawlessly with my T-Mobile HTC One, but I suppose I'll save money in the long-run by not being a meticulously discerning audiophile. :)

Feb 5, 2014 at 11:08 PM Post #1,060 of 2,308

I don't know if you've already received your E18 and perhaps already tried it with a C&C BH2 that you already own, but anyway, I tried my E18 with my BH2 and the combo works quite well. My ears are not very sensitive to high fidelity, and I must admit it's sometimes hard for me to discern the improvement in sound quality between the E18 alone or the BH2 alone compared to using no external DAC or amp; however, the improvement in sound quality using the E18 and BH2 together is just barely enough that I can definitely discern an improvement in sound quality over plugging my headphones straight into my MacBook Pro. The two most apparent changes I can discern are the stronger bass (likely due in no small part to the E18's bass boost function) and a more spacious soundstage (probably more thanks to the BH2 rather than the E18). So if you already own a BH2, they'll play together quite nicely. However, I've just recently purchased both new, and as the difference in sound improvement is so subtle, I think I'm actually going to be returning both, as, for my purposes, neither are worth the $106/$160, and the two combined definitely aren't worth the $266 for me. It's a shame, because I feel like I lucked out with my E18 working 100% flawlessly with my T-Mobile HTC One, but I suppose I'll save money in the long-run by not being a meticulously discerning audiophile. :)

hahaha +1

Feb 6, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #1,063 of 2,308
  It's a shame, because I feel like I lucked out with my E18 working 100% flawlessly with my T-Mobile HTC One, but I suppose I'll save money in the long-run by not being a meticulously discerning audiophile. :)

The real shame is other Android manufacturers not putting dedicated headphone amps in them like HTC did with the One.  I really miss that about the One when I switched to the Nexus 5.  So it's not really a shame at all...you just picked the right phone!

Feb 6, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #1,064 of 2,308
Got my E18 and connected it to my S4 (i9505 kitkat) OTG usb.
E18 was recognized immediatly by the S4.
Sound quality is noticabely enhanced. Bass is realy nice.
Music forward and backward as well as play & stop is controlled via the E18 keys.

Feb 6, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #1,065 of 2,308
Got my E18 and connected it to my S4 (i9505 kitkat) OTG usb.
E18 was recognized immediatly by the S4.
Sound quality is noticabely enhanced. Bass is realy nice.
Music forward and backward as well as play & stop is controlled via the E18 keys.

Damn I can't wait for mine... hopefully it will work even if I update my note 3 to kitkat...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back