Fiio E18
Jan 26, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #1,006 of 2,308
  Where can you get extra Micro OTG cables for the E18 I can't find any cables like that anywhere, not even longer ones.

I've seen some custom ones for sale.  Someone on the previous page of the thread mentioned a site that sells them (headphoneguru.com).

Jan 26, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #1,007 of 2,308

Well that sucks. I can tolerate old things not being compatible with new things (e.g., not functioning with Android 4.2), but for a brand new $160 device to not work with the brand new version of the operating system that said device was originally designed to work for is. . . frustrating, to put it lightly. I realize Android is "the wild west blah blah blah", but purchasing this device feels more like a gamble than it ought to. Has anyone even really been blown away by the sound? I've yet to read any raving reviews. Seems like most are just happy to get it to work in the first place. Conceptually, this seems like the perfect portable DAC+amp, especially for Android users, but I'm not sure whether I'd be just better off pairing an E12 with a HiFiMeDIY Sabre Android DAC for the same price.

If I could be reasonably confident that the E18 would make my Androids and laptops sound better than a mere DAC-less E12 could, I would have already purchased it by now. Actually, I did purchase it, but I cancelled it due to lack of faith that it would be worth it (or even work with my devices). I keep checking Amazon for new reviews that might push me to reordering it, but alas, they've been coming in slowly, and those that have come in have not been very encouraging.

I've been using my E18 with my Galaxy S3 using Native USB Audio, no tricks. Works with all apps, including streaming, e.g., Spotify, Google All Access. I also have an E12 which I acquired well before the E18. I find that the E18 can drive any cans that I have and do so well, even sensitive IEMs. It can even drive my HE-500's but it's pushing the limits for that, however, I plug my E12 to the E18 line out for the HE-500's as the E12 has more power, noticeably so.

Jan 26, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #1,008 of 2,308
That's cable is mine.It's custom built but you can ask him to make any type you want.I'd asked him last week to make a custom built right angle micro usb from aluminum with pure single core silver cable.Hopefully should be finish next week.

Jan 26, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #1,013 of 2,308
Is the E18's DAC as good of a DAC for a laptop as the following dedicated DACs?:

• Muse / amzn.com/B0093KZTEA
• Syba / amzn.com/B009WN7QT4
• HiFiMeDIY Sabre / amzn.com/B00AOH5JTQ

In other words, all else equal, which would make my MacBook Pro sound the best?

Is the E18 an ideal computer DAC, or is it sort of just a convenient, jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none sort of deal?

I definitely want a FiiO, but I'm not sure if I should go with a dedicated FiiO amp and buy another dedicated DAC separately, or if I should just go for one of FiiO's DAC+amp combos.

Jan 26, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #1,014 of 2,308
  Is the E18's DAC as good of a DAC for a laptop as the following dedicated DACs?:

• Muse / amzn.com/B0093KZTEA
• Syba / amzn.com/B009WN7QT4
• HiFiMeDIY Sabre / amzn.com/B00AOH5JTQ
• Schiit Modi / amzn.com/B00CICPN0K

In other words, all else equal, which would make my MacBook Pro sound the best?

Is the E18 an ideal computer DAC, or is it sort of just a convenient, jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none sort of deal?

I definitely want a FiiO, but I'm not sure if I should go with a dedicated FiiO amp and buy another dedicated DAC separately, or if I should just go for one of FiiO's DAC+amp combos.

The E18 is a DAC/Amp combo. It works well with my laptop as well as Samsung GS3 phone. If you want a better DAC, you will have to spend plenty more. Not many DACs will work with an Android smartphone, or iDevice, so if that is important and you go for a Desktop DAC, check carefully for compatibility.

Jan 26, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #1,015 of 2,308
  If you want a better DAC, you will have to spend plenty more.

Are you implying that the E18 is a better computer DAC than the other three DACs I listed? The possibility of one of those three DACs being a better DAC than the E18 (ignoring its amp feature) is one of the main things keeping me from going for the E18.

Basically, I could get an E12+Muse for the same price as the E18, so I'm wondering which would be the best path, assuming none of the DACs work on my Android.

I'll clarify that I'm not interested in making my music any louder, just in improving its sound quality.

Jan 27, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #1,016 of 2,308

Are you implying that the E18 is a better computer DAC than the other four DACs I listed? The possibility of one of those four DACs being a better DAC than the E18 (ignoring its amp feature) is one of the main things keeping me from going for the E18.

Basically, I could get an E12+Muse or E11+SchiitModi for the same price as the E18, so I'm wondering which would be the best path, assuming none of the DACs work on my Android.

If I'm not interested in making my music any louder, just in improving its sound quality, should I be spending more on the amp as opposed to the DAC (e.g., E12+Muse), more on the DAC as opposed to the amp (E11+SchiitModi), or should I be focusing on them equally?

I haven't heard them all so I can't say which is better, but I doubt that you will see anything extremely different DACwise unless you crack open the wallet. For a portable I wanted something that would work seamlessly with USB Audio with my Galaxy S3 phone as well as laptop, the E18 did that for me. For an amp I'd skip the E11 and save a few more bucks and get something better.  I've used the E11, it's OK, but for a few bucks more you could get an E12. You still have to make sure that the amp you want to buy can drive your cans and provide enough headroom. Which cans do you have in mind? DAC, portable or desktop?
You do realize that you might get many varying opinions on this.

Jan 27, 2014 at 12:34 AM Post #1,017 of 2,308
  I haven't heard them all so I can't say which is better, but I doubt that you will see anything extremely different DACwise unless you crack open the wallet. For a portable I wanted something that would work seamlessly with USB Audio with my Galaxy S3 phone as well as laptop, the E18 did that for me. For an amp I'd skip the E11 and save a few more bucks and get something better.  I've used the E11, it's OK, but for a few bucks more you could get an E12. You still have to make sure that the amp you want to buy can drive your cans and provide enough headroom. Which cans do you have in mind? DAC, portable or desktop?
You do realize that you might get many varying opinions on this.

Yeah, I'm hoping a couple others who've tried some of the other DACs could chime in with their experiences.

Anyway, if I could summarize my setup in two lines, it'd be as follows:
• Devices: HTC One, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, MacBook Pro, Toshiba Satellite (i.e., a healthy mix between these four)
• Cans: MDR-V6, Fidelio X1, ATH-M50, some cheaper on-ears and IEMs; currently looking at the ATH-Pro500mk2 (38Ω, a little warmer than the M50)

Edit:

OK, I've narrowed it down to one of these four options:
• E07K ($89)
• E11+Muse mini USB DAC ($98)
• E18 ($160)
• E12+Muse mini USB DAC ($167)

I'm so close! Guess I might just have to do some old-school buying-and-returning from Amazon to experiment and see which option works best for me.

Edit 2:

I just purchased the E12, E18, and Muse DAC. I'll compare the E12+Muse vs E18 and hopefully return the lesser of the two. Hopefully this doesn't backfire...

Jan 27, 2014 at 9:35 AM Post #1,018 of 2,308

Yeah, I'm hoping a couple others who've tried some of the other DACs could chime in with their experiences.

• Devices: HTC One, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, MacBook Pro, Toshiba Satellite (i.e., a healthy mix between these four)
• Cans: MDR-V6, Fidelio X1, ATH-M50, some cheaper on-ears and IEMs; currently looking at the ATH-Pro500mk2 (38Ω, a little warmer than the M50)

Edit:

• E07K ($89)
• E18 ($160)

I'm so close! Guess I might just have to do some old-school buying-and-returning from Amazon to experiment and see which option works best for me.

Edit 2:

I just purchased the E12, E18, and Muse DAC. I'll compare the E12+Muse vs E18 and hopefully return the lesser of the two. Hopefully this doesn't backfire...

You might end up keeping the E18 + E12. Just say'in.

Jan 27, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #1,019 of 2,308

Edit:

• E07K ($89)
• E18 ($160)

Edit 2:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003N0XDT4
FiiO E7 per the Deals thread here. Used-good condition is available for $16 + $7 shipping. I impulsively bought one, and other head-fiers have too. Again, I stole this straight from the deals discussion thread at http://www.head-fi.org/t/692119/the-deals-discussion-thread-read-the-first-post/2490 post #2502. It may be another DAC/Amp that at this price is worth throwing in for your comparison purposes.

Also, if you have $30 to spare, pick up a FiiO HS2. it is a 4 input, 1-2 output switcher for a/b comparing. This may be worth it if you are planning to compare sounds and sell of what you no longer need. In the long run, spending $30 on that is cheaper than holding on to multiple equipment setups. I have it and have not spent much time with it, but in the couple minutes I have, I have determined I cannot tell the difference between the HP output of my HRT MicroStreamer and the HRT's line out to a FiiO E12. Again, havent spent much time with it, but just a quick subjective observation of mine. Sonic Electronix is the only place I've found this in the US, so i bought one off their ebay page for i think $29.99.

Hope this helped!!

Jan 27, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #1,020 of 2,308
  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003N0XDT4
FiiO E07K per the Deals thread here. Used-good condition is available for $16 + $7 shipping. I impulsively bought one, and other head-fiers have too. Again, I stole this straight from the deals discussion thread at http://www.head-fi.org/t/692119/the-deals-discussion-thread-read-the-first-post/2490 post #2502. It may be another DAC/Amp that you were already considering, that at this price is worth throwing in for your comparison purposes.

That's the older E7...not the E07K...different units.  The E07K is significantly better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back