Fiio E18
Jan 25, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #992 of 2,308
 For anyone who use Note 3 checked it before upgrading to Kitkat 4.4.2 . Or you can not use any gear that's not have samsung name on it.

Verizon Note 3 SM-N900V owner here. I do not have my e18 (yet), but conform the following 100% compatible dacs with my stock version of phone. HRT MicroStreamer, Hifimediy android dac (usb other ended), audio quest dragonfly, fiio e10. My schiit modi ONLY works with usb audio player pro. It does not work with other music apps. The other dacs mentioned above work with UAPP as well as with Google play music, Samsung music player, poweramp, etc.

That said, I assume e18 works with every app on note 3.

Jan 25, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #993 of 2,308
Thanks for the heads up, still running 4.3 on SM-9005, I'll keep my eyes open for kitkat then :-\

Jan 26, 2014 at 2:46 AM Post #999 of 2,308
Where can you get extra Micro OTG cables for the E18 I can't find any cables like that anywhere, not even longer ones.

Jan 26, 2014 at 3:02 AM Post #1,000 of 2,308
   Version 4.3 it's works beutifully. But not 4.4.2.

Does it mean that E18 DON't work on Samsung Note 3 with android 4.4.2 ?

PS Sorry for my Eanglish. I'm from Russia :wink:

Agreed.  NUTTANICK, is that right?  Does the e18 work on Jelly Bean 4.3 but not KitKat 4.4 or did you mean to say that it doesn't work on Jelly Bean 4.2?

Jan 26, 2014 at 3:08 AM Post #1,001 of 2,308
   Version 4.3 it's works beutifully. But not 4.4.2.

Well that sucks. I can tolerate old things not being compatible with new things (e.g., not functioning with Android 4.2), but for a brand new $160 device to not work with the brand new version of the operating system that said device was originally designed to work for is. . . frustrating, to put it lightly. I realize Android is "the wild west blah blah blah", but purchasing this device feels more like a gamble than it ought to. Has anyone even really been blown away by the sound? I've yet to read any raving reviews. Seems like most are just happy to get it to work in the first place. Conceptually, this seems like the perfect portable DAC+amp, especially for Android users, but I'm not sure whether I'd be just better off pairing an E12 with a HiFiMeDIY Sabre Android DAC for the same price.

If I could be reasonably confident that the E18 would make my Androids and laptops sound better than a mere DAC-less E12 could, I would have already purchased it by now. Actually, I did purchase it, but I cancelled it due to lack of faith that it would be worth it (or even work with my devices). I keep checking Amazon for new reviews that might push me to reordering it, but alas, they've been coming in slowly, and those that have come in have not been very encouraging.

Jan 26, 2014 at 4:21 AM Post #1,002 of 2,308
In case not mentioned already. I get sound through using E18 with Nexus 7 v1 Cyagenmod 11 M2 if I boot with E18 connected/powered-on. Device is then in safe-mode
and not all apps will work (Neutron works, Spotify/Poweramp does not). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back