Fiio E18
Jan 21, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #976 of 2,308
  Let me clairfy:  Use a microUSB-USB OTG adapter.

OTG is just a shorted pin 4+5.  A USB OTG adapter is male microUSB on one end, and female USB on the other end.  Mate that to a standard USB->microUSB and you've got a longer cable suitable for tablet-E18 usage.  

AFAIK, there's not such thing as OTG on moth ends, once pin 4+5 are shorted somewhere along the line, it'll detect as OTG.

Someone able to test this?

Jan 21, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #977 of 2,308

OTG is just a shorted pin 4+5.  A USB OTG adapter is male microUSB on one end, and female USB on the other end.  Mate that to a standard USB->microUSB and you've got a longer cable suitable for tablet-E18 usage.  

AFAIK, there's not such thing as OTG on moth ends, once pin 4+5 are shorted somewhere along the line, it'll detect as OTG.

Usually the short is only at one side and I don't think the 'sense" line follows through the cable to the other connector. So I believe in this case the short is at both sides. If there is an extra conductor then it'll work the same, but why get more expensive wire?  Time to break out a meter and measure continuity.
http://tech.firstpost.com/news-analysis/how-to-make-your-own-usb-otg-cable-for-an-android-smartphone-29503.html

Jan 22, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #980 of 2,308

Ummm. I don't think this is completely correct. It is the phone that realizes that shortage and you can choose not to short in one end. The phone won't recognize it. In fact I have a longer micro to micro USB cable that only works from one side.

Jan 22, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #983 of 2,308
Bad news: also with Android 4.4.2 Nexus 5 didn't work with Fiio E18. The DAC ricognize the phone, but music is played through Nexus speaker, and It doesn't come any sound through the headphones.
Sorry for being late with my answer

Same thing with my Nexus 7 (2013) Tablet. 
mad.gif
 The play/pause, etc. buttons on the E18 work, only the music doesn't come out the right end.

Jan 22, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #984 of 2,308
Since we're already on a downward tablet spiral, I may as well throw the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 out there and ask if anyone's had any luck with it.

Also, there have been mixed results regarding the HTC One, so I'd like to ask if anyone's had any success with the T-mobile HTC One.

On a broader note, it seems like people aren't really as "wowed" by the E18's sound compared to the E12 or perhaps even the E11/E07K. The whole point of the E18 is that it can bypass the Android's native DAC and therefore theoretically sound better than a mere 3.5mm connection of a non-DAC dedicated amp like the E11/E12 (or E07K functioning solely as an amp). But that doesn't seem to be the case. Even with the DAC, it's questionable whether the E18 even sounds as good as the E12, let alone is worth the $30 premium over the E12 (not to mention the $100 premium over the E11).

So to those who have tried both the E18 and a prior FiiO with an Android, does the E18 actually sound any better? This is assuming the E18 even works with your particular Android device to begin with.

To bring up a fourth point, I'd like to ask whether users have found the E18 (when working) to be too analytical to pair with an already analytical set of phones like the V6 or even the M50. The bass-heavy (some might even say bass-bloated) E11s anecdotally seemed to pair well with the M50s. I wonder if pairing them with already bright cans like the V6 might yield too metallic and fatiguing of a sound.

Jan 22, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #985 of 2,308
  Since we're already on a downward tablet spiral, I may as well throw the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 out there and ask if anyone's had any luck with it.

Also, there have been mixed results regarding the HTC One, so I'd like to ask if anyone's had any success with the T-mobile HTC One.

On a broader note, it seems like people aren't really as "wowed" by the E18's sound compared to the E12 or perhaps even the E11/E07K. The whole point of the E18 is that it can bypass the Android's native DAC and therefore theoretically sound better than a mere 3.5mm connection of a non-DAC dedicated amp like the E11/E12 (or E07K functioning solely as an amp). But that doesn't seem to be the case. Even with the DAC, it's questionable whether the E18 even sounds as good as the E12, let alone is worth the $30 premium over the E12 (not to mention the $100 premium over the E11).

So to those who have tried both the E18 and a prior FiiO with an Android, does the E18 actually sound any better? This is assuming the E18 even works with your particular Android device to begin with.

To bring up a fourth point, I'd like to ask whether users have found the E18 (when working) to be too analytical to pair with an already analytical set of phones like the V6 or even the M50. The bass-heavy (some might even say bass-bloated) E11s anecdotally seemed to pair well with the M50s. I wonder if pairing them with already bright cans like the V6 might yield too metallic and fatiguing of a sound.

I have an E18 and E12. The amp in the E18 isn't as powerful as the one on the E12, but it sounds just as good. When using my HE-500's I can plug the E18 lineout into the E12 and use that to power the HE-500's; The E18's amp does a good job with HD600's. I also have an E11 it doesn't even compare to the amp in the E18.
Right now, I've got the E18 lineout plugged into an Asgard 2 amp and from there to my HE-500's.

Jan 22, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #986 of 2,308
  I have an E18 and E12. The amp in the E18 isn't as powerful as the one on the E12, but it sounds just as good. When using my HE-500's I can plug the E18 lineout into the E12 and use that to power the HE-500's; The E18's amp does a good job with HD600's. I also have an E11 it doesn't even compare to the amp in the E18.
Right now, I've got the E18 lineout plugged into an Asgard 2 amp and from there to my HE-500's.

Thanks for the insight. So if I have all low-impedance headphones (≤63Ω), are you saying the E18 and E12 would deliver comparable performance on an Android? The E18's DAC doesn't seem to be doing much in the way of improving sound quality over the amp-only E12. And when you say the E11 doesn't even compare to the amp in the E18, are you referring primarily to its ability to drive high-impedance headphones, or also to the sound quality it delivers for low-impedance headphones as well?

Basically, I'm wondering which FiiO would deliver the best cost-to-benefit ratio in terms of improving sound for my V6s, M50s, and incoming Fidelio X1s, as sourced from my Android devices and MacBook Pro.

Regardless of which I go with, I would be using it by itself, without any supplementary amps or DACs (although I might buy a $30 Muse DAC just for my MacBook Pro, assuming I don't go for the E07K or E18).

Jan 23, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #987 of 2,308

Thanks for the insight. So if I have all low-impedance headphones (≤63Ω), are you saying the E18 and E12 would deliver comparable performance on an Android? The E18's DAC doesn't seem to be doing much in the way of improving sound quality over the amp-only E12. And when you say the E11 doesn't even compare to the amp in the E18, are you referring primarily to its ability to drive high-impedance headphones, or also to the sound quality it delivers for low-impedance headphones as well?

Basically, I'm wondering which FiiO would deliver the best cost-to-benefit ratio in terms of improving sound for my V6s, M50s, and incoming Fidelio X1s, as sourced from my Android devices and MacBook Pro.

Regardless of which I go with, I would be using it by itself, without any supplementary amps or DACs (although I might buy a $30 Muse DAC just for my MacBook Pro, assuming I don't go for the E07K or E18).

If your low impedance cans are low sensitivity like the HE-500's the E12 will drive them louder and with more headroom, although if you don't listen loud then the amp in the E18 should be enough, I tend to listen a bit on the loud side.
biggrin.gif

What makes you say "The E18's DAC doesn't seem to be doing much in the way of improving sound quality over the amp-only E12?" What would be serving as a DAC?
The E11 lacks the muscle of the e18 and certainly the E12. The E11's power and Vp-p is much lower than the E18's amp.
Then again the X1 is sensitive and probably doesn't need a whole load of power. My mindset is based upon the HE-500 and HD600 which needs a little more juice than the E11 can kick out for my purposes. If you have an E11, give it a shot. In any case the FiiO products a relatively cheap and perform rather well. The E18 and E12 are inexpensive for the quality and as to comparable stuff from other makers.
Those X1's should be nice, enjoy them.
If you're getting a DAC for an Android device, check carefully for compatibility with Native USB audio for the version of Android on your specific devices. You don't want to use special apps for playing mp3 files via USB, otherwise your DAC will not be useful for streaming music.

Jan 25, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #989 of 2,308
Hi there,

I am considering of buying FiiO x3 as my portable player, but I own galaxy note 3. Would you recommend me to buy FiiO E18 instead? I am not sure from which I would get better sound results Fiio x3 or Note 3 + E18. (i can get both at similar price)

and one more question - do I need root to get E18 working via USB otg?

Jan 25, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #990 of 2,308
  Hi there,

I am considering of buying FiiO x3 as my portable player, but I own galaxy note 3. Would you recommend me to buy FiiO E18 instead? I am not sure from which I would get better sound results Fiio x3 or Note 3 + E18. (i can get both at similar price)

and one more question - do I need root to get E18 working via USB otg?

I don't think you need to root your note3. There is a thread about Android/DAC compatibility. The E18 allows you to listen to streaming services, e.g., spotify, Google All Access, etc. when used with an Android device or PC/Laptop, which you can't do on the X3. You can also use your E18 as a USB DAC from a PC. I know there was some talk about the X3 getting a DAC function via a firmware upgrade, so you should look into that. And if so, is it fully compatible with your Android device, not requiring special apps with limited functionality, as in no streaming services.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back