Fiio E18
Dec 4, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #752 of 2,308
And the E18 is still functioning with it? Is it a stock update or a rooted phone?

Yes, still functioning. It's stock, not rooted. I haven't used a lot of apps yet but no problems with the few that I have used.

Dec 4, 2013 at 9:09 AM Post #753 of 2,308
Let me know if there are any in particular that you would like me to test and if I have it, I'll give it a run.

Dec 4, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #754 of 2,308
Bad news from Italy (and Europe?).

Today on the official website of the Italian retailer appeared the news that the E18 will be available starting in January 2014.
A considerable delay, considering that until a few days ago it seemed that the device should arrive on the market by the end of November.

Of course, my disappointment is big: I pre-ordered the E18 (and paid for it!) already in October and I was hoping to have it before Christmas.

What is the reason for this delay? Problems in production?

Dec 4, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #756 of 2,308
  Bad news from Italy (and Europe?).

Today on the official website of the Italian retailer appeared the news that the E18 will be available starting in January 2014.
A considerable delay, considering that until a few days ago it seemed that the device should arrive on the market by the end of November.

Of course, my disappointment is big: I pre-ordered the E18 (and paid for it!) already in October and I was hoping to have it before Christmas.

What is the reason for this delay? Problems in production?

Same here. I cancelled my order and got a refund as I wanted it before the Christmas holiday.

Dec 4, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #757 of 2,308
Thanks! Wow, sounds like major failure on Samsung's part. I wonder if this update is a revised version of the failed one at the end of Nov..
What about anyone with a working 4.3? Does the e18 work? It doesn't have to be on an S3. I'll still need to know for when Samsung fixes their glitches and have a proper update.

Those that couldn't get the E18 working on the S4 actually found that it worked after the 4.3 update. So yes, it does work on Android 4.3 in general, just YMMV across different devices.

Dec 4, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #758 of 2,308
Was it the international version?

I'm now living in Hong Kong so mine must be the international version. I still need to see more of it but I like the changes that I see so far.

Dec 5, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #759 of 2,308
Just got the E18 in for use with my HTC One and Ubuntu desktop. Neither of these seem to have much representation in the thread so far so I wasn't sure if I'd end up having to return the E18. Fortunately, I'm loving this little device! Plenty has been discussed in terms of what comes with the device as well as the SQso I'll keep my comments limited to use with my devices.

When connected to my Ubuntu 10.10 desktop the E18 is detected immediately. Settings are basic: Analog Stereo Output and Digital Stereo Duplex are the only available options. Running Foobar2000 (latest stable build) via WINE I get crisp 24/96 fidelity out of the E18. My previous external and internal soundcards always produced a distorted signal when playing anything above 48khz, thus resampling my music collection is no longer necessary. :D I've also successfully powered the E18 via usb while utilizing the DAC with seemingly no audio interference. It may be there, but I'm not noticing it at the levels I'm using. The only downside I've come across is the inability to use the E18's Skip/Play/Pause functions with Foobar. I haven't tested native applications like VLC or Movie Player yet, but I really don't use them as it is. Either way, this is certainly no deal breaker and all in all I'm very happy with the E18 as a replacement DAC for my desktop.

In regards to pairing the E18 with the HTC One (Android 4.1.2 Stock), the only major drawback I've encountered so far is the GSM interference (via AT&T service). It only occurs when 4G data is enabled and since I'm not usually streaming my audio or browsing the web when listening to music from my phone this has been a complete non-issue. Unlike the Samsung S4, the HTC has a bottom mounted micro usb port making connection to the E18 quite easy if strapping for portability. Note: The OTG cable does have to be twisted if you want easy access to the Gain and Bass switches. As others have stated, some right angle plugs would have been ideal for this situation. Hopefully Fiio will pick this up for future portable DACs or make them available separately for those of us that would like to use them with our current devices. Regardless of these two minor gripes, all has worked as it should right out of the box with every music app I've used and the sound is better (to my ears) than the built-in DAC of the HTC One. Headphones used have been the OEM HTC headphones (modded for better seal) and Beyerdynamic DT-770 80ohm. While I never had too many issues driving the DT-770s with the One, the E18 definitely provides a cleaner signal at higher volumes.

To conclude, I'm very happy with this purchase. I've only had the device for a few hours but have had no major issues with sound quality or compatibility. So if you have the HTC One or an Ubuntu/Linux box and have been on the fence hopefully this has answered some questions. For reference, here are some photos for size comparison to the HTC One...

Dec 5, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #761 of 2,308
Just got the E18 in for use with my HTC One and Ubuntu desktop. Neither of these seem to have much representation in the thread so far so I wasn't sure if I'd end up having to return the E18. Fortunately, I'm loving this little device! Plenty has been discussed in terms of what comes with the device as well as the SQso I'll keep my comments limited to use with my devices.

Use the other micro to micro USB cable so you don't get that twist on the cable.

Dec 5, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #762 of 2,308
  Use the other micro to micro USB cable so you don't get that twist on the cable.

Unfortunately the ones I received are in the same orientation. 
frown.gif

Dec 5, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #763 of 2,308

Unfortunately the ones I received are in the same orientation. 
frown.gif

Send the seller an e-mail, you should have one oriented the other direction so you can use the two in a stack without twisting the cable. Or you can try contacting FIIO directly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back