Fiio E18
Oct 1, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #2,176 of 2,308
  Hi, Gosod
Thank you for your support to FiiO and our product. The A5 is coming soon. Maybe you will like it.
beerchug.gif
content_A5.jpg

it's beautiful, and he tense?

Oct 3, 2016 at 8:54 AM Post #2,177 of 2,308
Anyone using the E18 through usb from a smartphone, are there any notable issues that pop up when using it?

I saw that on the E17k (which isn't officially supported to be fair), people mention it can be finicky, like having to restart the phone to get the connection to register. Would really like to hear that with the E18 it's just simply plugging in and it works.

I used to have an E7 a while ago which worked great with my old androids and never really had any odd issues getting it to work but unfortunately the battery eventually died after a lot of regular use. My latest phone (Xperia z5) was okay enough going plugging straight into the jack with my iem but the input has become annoyingly loose lately (have yet to find a modern smartphone whose input can last more than a year), so I figure I'll go back to dac+amp route and I'm probably buying an iem upgrade soon, so the amp will be useful.

Oct 5, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #2,178 of 2,308
  Comparing it to the E12A is very misleading as the E12A is made for IEMs and delivers much less power, hence a lower supply voltage. A comparison to the E12 will look almost identical, same supply voltage as well. Also the distortion spec makes the 0.001% difference look much bigger than it is, in any case no human being alive could tell the difference between a 0.001% difference. I would recommend not doing such a comparison to the E12A. Just list the specs, FiiO makes great products.

I don't find it to be misleading, as the A5 uses the same opamp combo as the E12A. In essence, it seems to me that the A5 is a marriage of the E12A and E12

Oct 5, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #2,179 of 2,308
  I don't find it to be misleading, as the A5 uses the same opamp combo as the E12A. In essence, it seems to me that the A5 is a marriage of the E12A and E12

Look more carefully, it has output power that is greater than the E12A and about the same as the E12. In fact the power rails and Vpp spec is like the E12, so comparing this to the E12A is misleading as the E12A has lower numbers So comparing this to an E12 would not show big improvements, if any at all.
Also the change in distortion is 0.001% which is meaningless to a human's ears but showing it as 33% as a comparison makes it seem like a big deal. I didn't expect this kind of gameplay from FiiO.

Oct 5, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #2,180 of 2,308
  Anyone using the E18 through USB from a smart phone, are there any notable issues that pop up when using it?

I saw that on the E17k (which isn't officially supported to be fair), people mention it can be finicky, like having to restart the phone to get the connection to register. Would really like to hear that with the E18 it's just simply plugging in and it works.

I used to have an E7 a while ago which worked great with my old androids and never really had any odd issues getting it to work but unfortunately the battery eventually died after a lot of regular use. My latest phone (Xperia z5) was okay enough going plugging straight into the jack with my iem but the input has become annoyingly loose lately (have yet to find a modern smartphone whose input can last more than a year), so I figure I'll go back to dac+amp route and I'm probably buying an iem upgrade soon, so the amp will be useful.

Hi orskar, Have the E18 paired up to my HTC 10. Works perfect except for the usb cable that fiio supply. It doesn't fit tight enough and is prone to disconnect. Very annoying.

Oct 5, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #2,181 of 2,308
  Hi orskar, Have the E18 paired up to my HTC 10. Works perfect except for the usb cable that fiio supply. It doesn't fit tight enough and is prone to disconnect. Very annoying.

Great, thanks. :)

Not surprised about the cable. I remember when I had a E7 a few years ago going into an old phone, having a nightmare finding a usb cable that fit well and didn't break within a few months. I think I eventually found a brand that fit well without disconnecting and since they were cheap I just bought a few of them and replaced them as the connections got worn out and stopped working about every other month.

Figured the current fiio one might be better since they've seemed to step up their game with the short audio cables, but it looks like usb cables might still be not be so great (better than cheap ebay crap though). I know you can get well made stuff if you want longer lengths but that is no good for portable setups. Something to research, I'm sure someone is making decent short usb cables out there without costing too much.

Oct 5, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #2,182 of 2,308

Look more carefully, it has output power that is greater than the E12A and about the same as the E12. In fact the power rails and Vpp spec is like the E12, so comparing this to the E12A is misleading as the E12A has lower numbers So comparing this to an E12 would not show big improvements, if any at all.
Also the change in distortion is 0.001% which is meaningless to a human's ears but showing it as 33% as a comparison makes it seem like a big deal. I didn't expect this kind of gameplay from FiiO.

You're misreading what I said. I said the A5 seems like a marriage between the E12A and E12. By that I mean it's got the great sound quality of the E12A, and the power capability of the E12.

The E12A was their flagship AMP in terms of sound quality...so of course it makes sense to compare your newest product to your previous flagship.

I agree, using the percentage figure can be misleading...but, they're not blatantly lying either

Oct 5, 2016 at 6:27 PM Post #2,183 of 2,308

Great, thanks. :)

Not surprised about the cable. I remember when I had a E7 a few years ago going into an old phone, having a nightmare finding a usb cable that fit well and didn't break within a few months. I think I eventually found a brand that fit well without disconnecting and since they were cheap I just bought a few of them and replaced them as the connections got worn out and stopped working about every other month.

Figured the current fiio one might be better since they've seemed to step up their game with the short audio cables, but it looks like usb cables might still be not be so great (better than cheap ebay crap though). I know you can get well made stuff if you want longer lengths but that is no good for portable setups. Something to research, I'm sure someone is making decent short usb cables out there without costing too much.

No probs Orskar, if you come across any let me know
beerchug.gif

Oct 5, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #2,184 of 2,308
  You're misreading what I said. I said the A5 seems like a marriage between the E12A and E12. By that I mean it's got the great sound quality of the E12A, and the power capability of the E12.

The E12A was their flagship AMP in terms of sound quality...so of course it makes sense to compare your newest product to your previous flagship.

I agree, using the percentage figure can be misleading...but, they're not blatantly lying either

The only thing in this perspective that can be done to improve the E12 is to better its S/N which they didn't show in their graphics presentation, everything else other than distortion was essentially E12 compared to E12A. As I've previously stated, the distortion spec of the E12 is already far better than a human can detect, the improvement is infinitesimal as in insignificant. If they can deliver the power of the E12 and the S/N of the E12A or better, then they've done something. I will say the new model does look nice.

Oct 7, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #2,190 of 2,308
  No probs Orskar, if you come across any let me know
beerchug.gif

I found a few looking around on custom computer cabling makers/sites promoting to the pc building market. Only issue is that most of them won't go smaller than 6 inches (might make smaller on request but that will probably run the cost up a fair bit.)

This is the only one I could see already made that is about the right size: http://penonaudio.com/OTG-Pure-Silver-Cable

also http://www.pexonpcs.co.uk and http://www.keyclack.com both have cables you can get made, but they only go as low as 6 inches. Keyclack also sells a DIY parts pack to make your own with decent components (as opposed to cutting up cables you have already).

Personally, I'm going to try making one, as it'll be less irritating when I need to replace or fix them. It seems reasonably straightforward, just stripping and some finicky soldering really and I have a few decent longer usb cables lying around that I can cannibalise for parts. Going to use some flexible putty for the connectors, which should fix the eventually breaking of the rigid connectors you get with the basic cables.

I ordered a E18 yesterday so I'll try using the FiiO one first, if there is one supplied, to see if it can last a while. Would love if FiiO just put out a higher quality short usb cable similar to their L16 & L17 3.5mm cables.

Also, E18 are suddenly sold out recently on most UK sites for some reason, I could only find one place here still selling it (audio sanctuary). Wondering whether if the shortage is to make way for whatever Q-model is replacing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back