Fiio E18
Nov 16, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #1,786 of 2,308
That's an excellent point you make... And I am looking for a little more "fun" with my AK as well. I think it's a good idea as its cheap enough. I was going to get the new digizoid but seems like there have been some issues with the battery and charging.

Nov 16, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #1,787 of 2,308
I think it's easy to lose sight of fun in this hobby, probably because everything is so fetishized. Great gear is one thing. But gear that actually* gets your feet movin' and your head bobbin' is equally as important. E.g., the Sennheiser Amperior. I got a pair about a month ago. Now, given the edition of the LCD-2F I have, it cost roughly 6x that of the Amperior. But nothing gets me physically engaged with the music like the Amperior.

* I don't want to ignore the fact that I can't bob my head with the LCD-2F like I can with the Amperior for a very simple reason: The Amperior is lightweight and clamps tightly. It's not going to fly off your head if you get too excited. I think it's important to not lose sight of "the body" in evaluating and/or enjoying gear. Listening to music isn't entirely cerebral. 

Nov 17, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #1,788 of 2,308
I completely agree and I never want to lose sight of the fun. Rarely I get caught up in the abing between things, most of the time I just listen an enjoy. I really don't even enjoy abing things, I do it occasionally to see if I can hear a difference. As far as my earlier comment, I only meant it as in losing clarity and some of the details by adding the Fiio to the chain. Recently, I was reading in the HUGO thread and a fellow head-fier wanted a bit more bass out of his Hugo and decided to add a Fiio device to the mix. A lot of people in the thread were in shock, telling him how wrong it was, etc. Needless to say he loved the sound... There is nothing wrong with that, I believe that is why most of us started with this hobby, to enjoy the music.

Nov 17, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #1,790 of 2,308
A new phone is in my future. Samsung S5 or note 3. From a E18/music point of view. Any difference?

Hi,

As the E18 replaces your internal DAC and AMP, as long as the device can use the E18, there will be no difference.
You device is only the user interface and it has to be fast enough to read the file (bitstream) to send to the E18.

Hope this can help,

CasperBxl

Dec 2, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #1,792 of 2,308
This might sound like a bizarre question, but does anyone have thoughts on the relative value of the E18's DAC compared to its amp? In other words, how much of the E18's value is attributable to its DAC, and how much to its amp? For example, is the E18 a $100 DAC with a $60 amp? Or a $60 DAC with a $100 amp? Or an $80 DAC with an $80 amp? Is the quality of the E18's amp more comparable to the E11 or E12, or somewhere in between, with the DAC comprising the residual value?

Dec 2, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #1,793 of 2,308
  This might sound like a bizarre question, but does anyone have thoughts on the relative value of the E18's DAC compared to its amp? In other words, how much of the E18's value is attributable to its DAC, and how much to its amp? For example, is the E18 a $100 DAC with a $60 amp? Or a $60 DAC with a $100 amp? Or an $80 DAC with an $80 amp? Is the quality of the E18's amp more comparable to the E11 or E12, or somewhere in between, with the DAC comprising the residual value?

I second this. I'd love to know.

Dec 3, 2014 at 1:06 AM Post #1,794 of 2,308

:)

It is taking the bend a bit short. The E18 is a very good device, as AMP and as DAC/AMP.

Do not forget that:
   1. Advantage of scaling and large production numbers brings down cost of development
   2. The electronic parts used are only a small part of the cost of the device, so it can be that both parts are of very high quality.
   3. I use it as AMP sometimes and as DAC/AMP sometimes. Both are very good.
   4. Maybe you get a 120$ amp and a 120$ DAC ...

I have a CEntrance M8, that is a 700$ DAC/AMP. There certainly is a difference, but is there a 580$ difference?
The M8 has no issue with big power cans; the E18 runs into limits there. But the E18 fits in you pocket, the M8 ... you would look silly!  :wink:

For me, the E18 is a very good, flexible, compact, well designed product at a very sharp price.

Greetings,

CasperBxl

Dec 15, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #1,795 of 2,308
I just got one these amazing little things in the mail and I couldn't be happier with it. It works flawlessly with my 2013 moto x and my lenovo yoga. I do notice some interference from time to time, but it quickly goes away if I move the device around. I can even control spotify using the controls on the side of the device, which comes in handy more frequently than I would have thought.

Anyone else using it with a dt770? I've got the portable 32 ohm version with the leather pads and I think they pair beautifully. Smooth but detailed.

I even used it as an amp for gaming on the ps4 (using the 3.5mm out from the wireless controller) and was very happy with how it made Dragon Aqe: Inquisition sound.

Dec 22, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #1,796 of 2,308
Just a couple of queries about this great little amp! Thinking of buying a schiit Vali and wondered if I could use my e18 as a dac instead of purchasing the modi. I use my Note 3 as my music source because of its huge expandable storage so it would be a pain to connect it to my pc anyway (I don't think I've even turned it on for about 3 years!!). Would I be best using the coaxial out or the line out? Not sure which bypasses the amp etc and whether the DAC in the e18 is up to the job. My main headphones are HD650, SR325is and AKG K550.

Dec 22, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #1,797 of 2,308
I just got one these amazing little things in the mail and I couldn't be happier with it. It works flawlessly with my 2013 moto x and my lenovo yoga. I do notice some interference from time to time, but it quickly goes away if I move the device around. I can even control spotify using the controls on the side of the device, which comes in handy more frequently than I would have thought.

Anyone else using it with a dt770? I've got the portable 32 ohm version with the leather pads and I think they pair beautifully. Smooth but detailed.

I even used it as an amp for gaming on the ps4 (using the 3.5mm out from the wireless controller) and was very happy with how it made Dragon Aqe: Inquisition sound.

I've used it with a couple of pairs of Beyers and like the sound very much. Haven't tried gaming with decent cans though. Are you referring to games on a pc?

Dec 23, 2014 at 3:01 AM Post #1,799 of 2,308
So, even if the E18 works with my Note 4 via Neutron/PowerAmp, would I be able to utilize the DAC watching a movie?

Dec 23, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #1,800 of 2,308
  So, even if the E18 works with my Note 4 via Neutron/PowerAmp, would I be able to utilize the DAC watching a movie?

Yes.

In the cases of fully supported USB Audio your phone/device replaces the internal DAC/AMP function with the E18.
So the Application is not aware of the external device ... like on a PC.

I tested it for you with my Galaxy S5 and YouTube. Sound come trough the E18 (great!!!)
VLC Player plays my ripped films great, sound via E18. (Kill Bill II Full Quality RIP)

Hope this can help,
Kind regards,

CasperBxl

Users who are viewing this thread

Back