FiiO E17K Review
Sep 24, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #76 of 135
Komatik, I didn't install drivers for mine, but I did have to choose audio output quality in Windows to get the Fiio to read 96K /24bit.

The route I tried, and there may be a quicker way, is:
Control Panel > Devices and Printers > Fiio USB DAC E17K > right click > Sound Settings > Playback > SPDIF Interface Fiio USB DAC E17K > Properties > Advanced > [drop down menu, choose] 2 channel, 16 bit, 96000Hz (Studio Quality) > Test. Apply, etc.

Note that there are only five choices in the quality drop-down menu, all 16 bit, but choosing the last and best 96 option worked to change the E17K to 24bit.

The device now switches on and says '48K 16bit', whether plugged into the laptop or not. But as soon as a sound source is played (Foobar, YouTube, etc), the display switches to '96K 24bit'.

Sep 28, 2015 at 2:43 AM Post #78 of 135
I have Buzzing problem recently, but not during playback. I use Aux input from my phone. But the buzzing stop whenever I hold the device (E17k), is it possible some electro static interference? Maybe someone can explain that?

Oct 30, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #79 of 135
Hi, I just bought the e17k and use it mainly on my desktop and i'm very happy with the sound quality and the significantly reduced noise. I want to use it as a portable DAC but i cant make it work with my zenfone 5 2gb version. I just want to ask you guys what is the cheapest portable DAP that i can pair with the e17k external DAC? 

Nov 16, 2015 at 10:16 PM Post #82 of 135
I'm planning on buying this as my very first DAC/Amp. I will be using it in these possible configurations

A.) Portable: iPhone5 > E17K(amp section) > Dunu DN-2000
B.) Portable: iPhone5 > Lightning > Apple Camera Kit > E17K(dac/amp combo) > Dunu DN-2000
C.) Portable: iPhone5 > FiiO LOD > E17K(dac/amp combo) > Dunu DN-2000
D.) Desktop: PC usb > E17K(dac/amp combo) > Philips Fidelio X2/Dunu DN-2000

And I have some questions for the gurus here:
Set up A.) will using E17K amp section for my IEM improve the sound? By how much?
Set up B.) Is the DAC in E17K superior enough compared to iPhone 5 DAC that it's worth the hassle of additional camera kit cable, mess and cost?
Set up C.) There's a rumor that FiiO Lightning LOD is in the works. This would be very convenient! Is it just rumors though or will it come to fruition in the near future?
Set up D.) I haven't bought the X2 yet, anyone here have impressions with this pairing? Thanks

Lastly, what are my other options that can cater to portable/desktop set up at this price point? The new FiiO Q1 seems to be promising too and amazing battery life. What about E10K and just ditch amping my portable set up? Am I better off using DAP and utilize its internal dac/amp instead like iBasso DX50, FiiO X3? So many questions! Thanks guys!

Nov 17, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #83 of 135
Hello everyone. What a great forum.

I have a setup/volume question.

Here's my setup:
Foobar -> Laptop -> USB output -> E17k -> line out -> Bravo Audio V2 tube headphone amp -> Grado SR80e (sometimes PortaPro)

Foobar Output options:
What's the difference between the WASAPI (event): SPDIF Interface (4-FiiO USB DAC E17k), and the DS:SPDIF Interface (4-FiiO USB DAC E17k).

I do like the DS:primary Sound Driver as it allows more volume control from the laptop along with allowing other PC sounds to mix through, which is nice when I'm at work. But...likely not maximizing the audio capability of my system and FLAC files - even if I can't hear a difference, I like knowing I'm using my equipment to it's full potential :) 

Also, when in SPDIF mode, the volume is quite high and the volume on the Bravo am needs to be way down, maybe around a 1 on a 1-10 volume scale with the Foobar volume set at around 5. 
?Is there a "better" sound profile from the Bravo tube amp when at higher gain? 
?Where do you guys set your volumes?, keeping in mind my use of E17k line-out disables any volume/gain function from the E17k

One more PC setup question... 
In my laptop settings for the SPDIF interface properties, the Controller Information calls out "4-FiiO USB DAC E17K (Generic USB Audio)"  does this look like it's using all the right drivers and such? When I look at the Driver settings, it does call out "FiiO USB DAC E17K", but the driver provider as "Micosoft" with a driver date of "7/12/2013" and it points to a bunch of drivers in C:\windows\system32\
Does this look correct? 

Thanks all for your assistance on any / all of these questions.

Jan 10, 2016 at 2:25 AM Post #84 of 135
Hi i just got a HifMan HE400i, I'm currently using a Mac Book Pro as a Source its sound very good, I use around 60% or 70% of the volume and its pretty loud, but if I go up the sound will get harsh and get very subtle background hiss noise 

Thinking about the e17K for getting more juice in the bass and improve the in the overall SQ will the  FiiO Alpen 2 E-17K whit Output impedance <1.1 and 200mW @ 32 ohms will drive this headphones adequate?

My other options are the Objective 2 or the FiiO E12 and give up the DAC from now

Any ideas? 

Jan 15, 2016 at 9:56 PM Post #85 of 135
E17K review posted  - http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-e17k-alpen-2-usb-dac-headphone-amplifier/reviews/15014

Feb 27, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #86 of 135
I'm a newbie and be mindful regarding my question that may sound too stupid.

E17K is a multi-tool in one DAC as well as Amp. There is a Line In/Line Out jack right in between the headphones jack and digital coaxial input. 

So if I want to use it as an Amp, I can simply use an auxiliary cable going to the Line-in/Line-Out jack and voila! E17K is an amp, correct?

My regular use is E17K as a DAC via USB, so what is the function of that Line-Out actually in this kind of scheme? Is it for an Amp? But E17K itself is an Amp as well right? If I use it as a DAC it does a double job as an amp, right? Or does it have any other meaning of using Line-out from E17K?

If I plug in another Amp via Line-Out, so the sound signature of which one I will get? The new amp?
Anyone want to answer my silly questions will be much appreciated :)

Feb 28, 2016 at 7:39 AM Post #87 of 135
Hi Samu, think of the E17K as a DAC/amp for headphones, and a DAC for line out. For example, I use mine in between my laptop and headphones, or in between my laptop and hifi amp if I'm listening on the hifi speakers.

In both situations, the E17K is doing digital-to-analogue conversion instead of the laptop's soundcard. That signal is then either amplified for my headphones, or sent direct at line level ("unamplified") to my hifi amp.

Hope this helps.

Feb 28, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #88 of 135
Hi Samu, think of the E17K as a DAC/amp for headphones, and a DAC for line out. For example, I use mine in between my laptop and headphones, or in between my laptop and hifi amp if I'm listening on the hifi speakers.

In both situations, the E17K is doing digital-to-analogue conversion instead of the laptop's soundcard. That signal is then either amplified for my headphones, or sent direct at line level ("unamplified") to my hifi amp.

Hope this helps.

So whats the difference between the line out and the headphone jack? Why does it sounds so different? What does that mean direct line level?

I tried to use my E6 through Line Out and I notice it sounds a bit better, though. Is that something expected?

Feb 28, 2016 at 3:31 PM Post #89 of 135
So whats the difference between the line out and the headphone jack? Why does it sounds so different? What does that mean direct line level?

I tried to use my E6 through Line Out and I notice it sounds a bit better, though. Is that something expected?

'Line level' or 'line out' signals are similar voltages to 'headphone out'. But headphone outs are designed to provide more current, and line outs are designed to drive the higher impedance of say, an amp input. This makes a difference as to how each signal interacts with a headphone speaker.

Not sure what you mean using your E6 through line out?

Edit to add: if this conversation strays away from the E17K it would be best taken to the general help board.

Feb 28, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #90 of 135
'Line level' or 'line out' signals are similar voltages to 'headphone out'. But headphone outs are designed to provide more current, and line outs are designed to drive the higher impedance of say, an amp input. This makes a difference as to how each signal interacts with a headphone speaker.

Not sure what you mean using your E6 through line out?

Edit to add: if this conversation strays away from the E17K it would be best taken to the general help board.

Ah ya right. Sorry about that.
What I mean was using E17K as a DAC via usb and then connect it to E6 as amp through LineOut.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back