Fiio E17 with Android or Nokia
Jul 15, 2012 at 10:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

kevin7954

New Head-Fier
there is a lot of post requesting Android can support Audio over USB, and I am waiting for this, hopefully it will be really done in 4.1, on my Nexus one and Notes. Before that, I read some sharing from web that E7 can natively support Nokia device like N8, E6.... 

therefore I just bought a Nokia N8 and want to try out the portable device with full digital, however, actually N8 can support on only E7 but not the E17... why????

what is the difference between 2 devices, and suppose E17 should be newer and better than E7, however, it seem the compatibility portion is degraded.

Fiio support, would you add an enhancement on E17 firmware, to add a function to allow the firmware switch to E7-like compatibility mode, or improve the current E17 firmware in order it can support more devices itself?

hopefully Fiio can help, the E17 amp itself is a pretty damm good device and sound toy. 

Kevin

Jul 16, 2012 at 8:06 AM Post #2 of 6
Hi Kevin, Thank you very much for your post and question, we appreciate it very much. Because E17 needs higher voltage and current to work which is more than a smart phone could provide, so it could be only used on a computer. Actually we are trying to develope a software to lower the consumption of energy to make it compatible with a cellphone, however, we are unsure when it will be done so we are speeding up the development of a new product, which is specially used on a smartphone. We will let you know if there is any update.

Jul 18, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:
Hi Kevin, Thank you very much for your post and question, we appreciate it very much. Because E17 needs higher voltage and current to work which is more than a smart phone could provide, so it could be only used on a computer. Actually we are trying to develope a software to lower the consumption of energy to make it compatible with a cellphone, however, we are unsure when it will be done so we are speeding up the development of a new product, which is specially used on a smartphone. We will let you know if there is any update.

Wouldn't this only apply if you were allowing USB charging?

Jul 18, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #4 of 6
Because power draw over USB matters, for example with the iPad.
List of support is here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/507559/list-of-dacs-that-work-with-ipad

The E17 won't work as it draws about 150Ma-200Ma of power through USB ITSELF. the iPad and or CCK limits it to 100Mah. Your phone hardware and or software may also limit it so as to not cause any problems. You can rectify this with a few ways that I'm not too overly famliar with, but a powered hub in between the two has been seen to fix this, although that makes for a HUGE device wrap.

Basically, the E7 over USB draws less power than what the limit of the Nokia is. The E17 draws more power than what the Nokia will allow. AND THIS IS WITH USB charge off. USB itself through what Cathy said itself has a power draw. Some users on the E17 have been able to fix this. With an external power source or supply or powered USB hub. One used a POWERED USB hub between the E17 and iPad with CCK and got it to work. OThers tried different ways and also some had success, others didn't. None in the E17 thread have tried N8 with E17 with powered USB hub though. If you believe it, then you can try.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/587912/fiio-e17-alpen-first-impression-final-thought/1605#post_8166687
http://www.head-fi.org/t/587912/fiio-e17-alpen-first-impression-final-thought/990#post_8108286

You can try it if you wish. Others have had success depending on brand or whatever that they used.

And from what Cathy is seeing, it seems they are trying to lower USB power draw itself so that the iPad and N8 and whatever new Android device with digital out support can use it. Although that may pose problems or limits on what hardware can be used...and thus. Software like Cathy said. Hopefully FiiO can do it! 
beerchug.gif

Oct 4, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #6 of 6
i have to reply this old thread. recently i bought samsung mega 6.3 and subprisingly usb otg can connect to e17 for usb dac sound line out. the sound is so good compare to old day 3.5mm analog out. and i bought fiio short micro usb to mini usb, to reduce the cable weight. next step is to see how to attach/mount the e17 to the back of mega.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back