Fiio E17 keeps crashing my Windows 8 laptop
Jul 17, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #17 of 33
I guess it would be worth trying on a different machine running windows 8. that way we can determine if it's a windows 8 bug or if it is your machine acting up. Do you have any family or friends with a windows 8 computer that could let you spend an hour or two trying out your E17?

cheers

EDIT: Also, I noticed that there is a 1year warranty on the fiio e17. If your player isn't functioning correctly, then you should get it replaced with a good unit under the warranty.

EDIT2: you should email their support about the correct driver installation for your windows 8 computer. Looks like it comes with drives for "windows xp", "x86", and "x86_64" systems, so it is important to make sure you install the correct one... "x86_64" if you are running 64bit windows 8.

Jul 30, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #18 of 33
I just wanted to bump this thread as the E17 also crashes my Windows 8 laptop.  I've done all the suggested steps in this thread and have the correct drivers loaded, anyone else seeing this?

Sep 16, 2013 at 2:26 AM Post #19 of 33
  I just wanted to bump this thread as the E17 also crashes my Windows 8 laptop.  I've done all the suggested steps in this thread and have the correct drivers loaded, anyone else seeing this?

Longtime lurker finally registered. This occurs with my home built windows 8 desktop. I am usually running foobar with flac files when this occurs. It was driving me mad all weekend. My dumps are very consistent with the same usb bug-code error. I just finally uninstalled the driver. Windows 8 loads a default one that isn't too bad. So far, so good. 

Sep 17, 2013 at 11:44 AM Post #20 of 33
Sent them out an email about this issue. Got this reply;

Firstly please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience which the ASIO Driver has brought to you.
Kindly be noted that, this ASIO driver is still the beta version, and it indeed exists the potential incompatibility when running in the different computer OS.

For your this case, it's suggested to uninstall the ASIO Driver in your computer. I will submit the issue to the related engineers and let them analyse it.

Sorry for the problem again! Sincerely hope you can continue to support FiiO!
Have a nice day!

Best Regards,
Shadow

fae

Sep 20, 2013 at 6:52 AM Post #21 of 33
Interested in what the solution is for this. I just ordered the E17 and am also running Windows 8. What version of 8 are you guys running?

Sep 20, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #22 of 33
I was getting the same BSOD with an E17 plugged into the dock (although with Windows 7).  It would consistently BSOD within a minute or two of listening to music.

My 'fix' (well, so far ...it's been trouble free for over an hour) was to unplug my xbox360 controller :wink:
It seems with my computer when I have too much of a load on the USB ports (5V rail) all sorts of badness results.. and I know my controller eats a lot.

Here's my guess with the E17/E09K:  Even though the E09K has an external power wall-wart... it seems a bit cheap.  I bet when the amp draws too much it pulls from the USB line and depending on the quality of your computer's voltage regulator etc it can cause the crash.

You might try a good quality powered USB hub or a better E09K power supply.  In my case just reducing the load by unplugging an unrelated USB device seemed to work.

Oct 9, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #24 of 33
I also have the crashes on my desktop running Windows 8 ultimate 64 bits . I'll try a few things and I'll get back if anything seems to work. I never had crashes before on that computer and It is now crashing every time I am using the e17 for more than an hour. It's really enjoying. I hope FIIO will make new drivers soon or come up with a good solution!

Nov 29, 2013 at 3:45 AM Post #26 of 33
Hey, I have had this issue since I upgraded to Windows 8.1! At first, it just wouldn't play (it worked fine on the first version of Windows 8 Ultimate 64 bit) so I tried to install the driver on FiiO's website (the ASIO one) and I had similar constant BSOD issues. I fixed it by deleting the new driver (fiioe17.sys or something like that). After uninstalling all my USB drivers as well as the one automatically installed for the DAC under "audio devices" (not the same as the one I manually installed), I let Windows reinstall all of them and for the next 10 hours, I got uninterrupted playback from my E09K/E17 setup.

However, now (3 days later) whenever I power it up, it (usually) won't play anything. It is still recognized as a FiiO USB DAC E-17 (and set as default device in the sound control panel), and has the appropriate driver installed (automatically), but it just won't work. And it's acting strange too, like the song won't even start on ITunes, Youtube, Bandcamp, etc. It actually inhibits all playback, rather than playing it with no sound...

What is even stranger is that I usually get 2-3 seconds of it working (I play with the volume bar to receive sound notifications, fastest way I know) before it just stops.

EDIT: In fact, as I am writing this right now, it just started working again. This time I started playing the song on my computer speakers before starting the unit, and it just switched seamlessly, like nothing ever happened. And now after powering it back down and up, it works fine again (for now)...Intermittent issues are the worst kind...

Could it really be a power problem? My PC is always plugged on because its batteries are pretty much dead (it's an 18.4" old laptop with huge power demands) and I guess I like to run the amp pretty high (I use 250 ohms Beyer DT-770s), not to mention I have a very weird apartment electrical circuitry (there's a fridge on the same circuit, as well as some lighting, a printer and the PC itself)...But usually when the circuit is overloaded, the breaker just trips and everything blacks out, so it doesn't really make any sense to me...

If it's of any use, I have always used the DAC via eSATAp (SATA & USB compatible port) for the sake of freeing the nearby USB port for my external HDD (only plugged when in use). However, I have also tested it with the regular USB 2.0 port and it doesn't seem to make any difference (either both work, or both don't).

What is it??? I really am losing my mind over this, and do not want to use a restore point and lose a large amount of recently added media and work (not the mention the fact that being unable to update my OS and being stuck in 8.0 forever isn't the most appealing option). Does anyone have any idea what to do? I'd be so very grateful!

Dec 19, 2013 at 4:17 AM Post #28 of 33
I have a similar problem.
A few days ago I got myself a new windows 8 tablet PC (with USB 3.0 ports).
I upgraded to windows 8.1 but didn't install any ASIO drivers.
I did install equalizer apo though.

My fiio e09k/e17 combo isn't working. It is also recognized as a FiiO USB DAC E-17 (and set as default device in the sound control panel).
Whenever I play music the sound level meter is bouncing but no audio is playing :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back