Fiio E17 keeps crashing my Windows 8 laptop
Jul 8, 2013 at 12:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

joeywreck

New Head-Fier
My Fiio E17 keeps crashing my laptop which runs Windows 8. It's getting on my nerves. I get a BSOD and the error is "bugcode_usbdriver". This happens all the time, several times a day.. Many times while I'm watching a show or a movie and I'm getting to a good part.. but I've ruled out conspiracy. I don't know what's the problem. My computer didn't recognize Fiio E17 when I got it so I downloaded a driver off Fiio.com.cn.. It's not just crashing too.. Sometimes there's a loud static and I have to disconnect the Fiio E17 and reconnect it. Sometimes the sound starts to sound distorted and I have to do the same thing. Maybe those two things are just because the USB gets loose (although the static scared the hell out of me one time while watching a nice quiet documentary). The main issue is crashing.

Anyways, Is there another driver I should use? I'm really sick of this. I've used my Nook HD on some days simply because I didn't want my computer to crash. It's infuriating. My headphone jack is busted. I used it as an opportunity to get a Fiio E7. It broke (accident) and I used it as an opportunity to get a Fiio E17. I waited too long to return it, I'm screwed.

Jul 8, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #3 of 33
The only USB driver I downloaded was the one off www.fiio.com.cn/support/download.aspx and it's from February. I've tried a different cable. In fact, I broke my first cable out of frustration so I had to buy a different one, and it made no difference. I had the gain on 6 db usually, but recently I noticed if I turn it down to 0, it wouldn't crash.. but then it started to crash again so I guess it was a temporary solution. If it's a driver issue, which it seems to be since that's the error I'm getting, I'll gladly download any driver someone throws in here.

I really should've just gotten another Fiio E7. I don't notice any real difference.. just crashing.

Jul 8, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #4 of 33
What is the make and model of your laptop?  Are you using a USB 2.0 or 3.0 port? I had a similar problem with my desktop where anytime I would plug something into any of my USB 3.0 ports it would BSOD because I was missing the motherboard drivers required to run those ports. You may have a similar problem.

EDIT:

I think I found the solution. Open Control Panel and go to Device Manager. Uninstall everything under Universal Serial Bus Controllers. After that click on the action menu and click scan for hardware changes. Doing this will reinstall all of your USB port drivers. 

Jul 8, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #6 of 33
Quote:
USB 2.0. I tried my USB 3.0 port and it either doesn't work or it crashes more. I have an Acer V5-571 laptop running Windows 8.

I edited my previous post with what I think is the solution.

Jul 10, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #7 of 33
I tried that after my computer crashed again.. I thought it was going to work, but at the climax of an episode I was watching of a show, it just crashed. Infuriating. I'm wondering if I should give up, accept I wasted my hours of horrible cashier job money on this and get another Fiio E7.

Jul 12, 2013 at 12:57 AM Post #9 of 33
Does your computer crash when the E17 isn't plugged in or only when it is? Does it crash with any other USB devices?

Jul 12, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #13 of 33
Try uninstalling that driver you installed from FiiO. My E07K doesn't need and special drivers to work.

Jul 17, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #14 of 33
My computer still crashes. This is getting on my nerves. I spent too much money on nothing and with my minimum wage job I don't want to risk buying something else. Fiio E17 works on Windows 8, it's just the crashing, so I wouldn't call it incompatible.. But this is infuriating. WHAT CAN I DO

Jul 17, 2013 at 1:08 AM Post #15 of 33
Try your E17 on a different computer. We have to determine if it is your computer that is acting up or if it is the E17

Users who are viewing this thread

Back