Fiio E12 vs. JDS Labs C5 Amp
Jun 13, 2014 at 4:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

FiJAAS

Previously known as DTSxJP
On on the verge of purchasing my first audiophile setup. So far I have these items marked down that's a for sure purchase...

iPod Classic 7th Generation
Beyerdynamic DT-770 250 OHM
Fiio L9

Now the issue I'm having is which portable amplifier is better and more powerful to drive the cans while pairing and sounding well with the iPod Classic.

Any help would be appreciative.

Jun 14, 2014 at 5:04 AM Post #4 of 17
E12 is more powerful, C5 is the better amp overall, and still has plenty of power to drive those beyers. Also the C5 is about exactly the same size as the classic making them pair very neatly.

Jun 14, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #6 of 17
E12 is more powerful, C5 is the better amp overall, and still has plenty of power to drive those beyers. Also the C5 is about exactly the same size as the classic making them pair very neatly.

Thanks for the reply.
Could you further explain why the E12 is more powerful compared to the C5.
Also, further explain why the C5 is the better choice?

What do you use your C5 with?

Jun 14, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #7 of 17
I use the C5 with my 160gb classic and a silver LOD.

C5 is more neutral, pairs with full size and IEM's, no imbalance at low volumes and better customer support.

E12 can output more power into the same load vs C5.

Jun 14, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #8 of 17
I use the C5 with my 160gb classic and a silver LOD.

C5 is more neutral, pairs with full size and IEM's, no imbalance at low volumes and better customer support.

E12 can output more power into the same load vs C5.

Thanks!
Can I have a name and link to the sliver lod?

Also, what's the highest headphones could the C5 drive? 250 ohm or 300 ohm?

Jun 14, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #9 of 17
It can drive 600ohm headphones.

I make all my own cables with toxic cables silver cable.

Jul 27, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #13 of 17
I was wondering if anyone could compare the cayin c5 to the jds lab c5?

i had both of these but not at the same time. though i usually don't trust my longer term memory for detailed comparisons, no one else responded so i'm chiming in for you the best i can.

i had the FiiO E12 v1 and the Cayin C5 at the same time and i chose the E12. bottom line is that the Cayin seemed overall a nicer and more engaging amp but the bass boost was too heavy handed for me. since i find that my Senn HD600's do need a little boost on many recordings, bass boost is important to me. but i simply cannot abide too much bass, so it's a very delicate balance for me. the E12 v1 famously has a very subtle sub bass boost and it was primarily on that basis that i chose the E12 over the Cayin. another plus for me is that the E12 is more mid forward. looking back on my comparison thread i found that the Cayin seemed wider and also a bit brighter.

i also had the did a lot of direct a/b listening with the JDSL C5 and my FiiO E12 because i was wary of being too quick to get rid of my E12, but it turned out to be a pretty easy decision: i kept the JDSL C5 because it was cleaner & more refined sounding, and i find the 3 position bass boost (off/low/high) very useful and versatile. i also found the JDSL unboosted bass to have more impact than the E12, so i find myself needing bass boost for fewer recordings.

ok, so now to your question: the C5 vs the C5. from my opinions of both C5 amps from their respective comparisons with my E12, i think i can say the following:

- the Cayin is brighter & more aggressive sounding, while the JDSL is more mid forward, smoother on top & refined
- the Cayin is wider sounding, perhaps significantly so
- the JDSL is capable of a more subtle bass boost (at the Low setting), though its High bass boost setting might be more similar to the Cayin's boost, so you kinda get both with the JDSL
- unboosted bass quantity & quality are probably pretty similar, but this needs verification
- i think it's safe to say they are very similarly clean sounding, but this is also kinda hard to say based on memory
- i think the Cayin has more power
- the JDSL is much smaller in size
- i'm pretty sure the Cayin battery life is shorter, but i'm not 100% sure on this
- personal opinion: the controls on the JDSL are slicker and easier

i would love to try the two side by side just because i'm curious, but i have every expectation that i would still prefer the JDSL. anyone who has done this comparison should jump speak up to fill in / correct any of my statements.

Jul 27, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #15 of 17
Just what I needed,
biggrin.gif
thanks!

sure, my pleasure. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back