Fiio E11 vs JDS Labs CMoyBB v2.03 (Taking suggestions)
Jan 18, 2012 at 6:16 AM Post #16 of 52
IMO for the portable amp category, the BB wins hands down with cleaner sound, more power and if you need bass, there is a bass boost for a reason. Of course if you don't need something portable, the E10 DAC/amp will work pretty well.

Jan 18, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #17 of 52
I'd recommend the CmoyBB over the E11.   I own an E6 and E10, as well as listened to the E11.  The CmoyBB with 18V option and AD8620 opamp simply destroys the E11 for the sound I'm looking for.   Using it with a set of ATH-M50's, and Senn 558's.

Jan 18, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #20 of 52

Quote:
Oh come on >:l

I just ordered the E11 last night.

Beyer's should go with the e11. IT has more power and should suit the bassy needs you want more. the others are "annoying" to buy and are relativley flat and for studio or for people that like a bit of jazz, classical, rock etc

Jan 20, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #21 of 52

Quote:
Beyer's should go with the e11. IT has more power and should suit the bassy needs you want more. the others are "annoying" to buy and are relativley flat and for studio or for people that like a bit of jazz, classical, rock etc

What about for the Westone 4r? the E11 is still at the top of my list but then again so is the E17.

Jan 20, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #22 of 52

Quote:
What about for the Westone 4r? the E11 is still at the top of my list but then again so is the E17.

Sorry i don't own any westone's or the E11's so i can't tell you exactly. i can really only tell you some pro's or con's of each i have heard and re itterate it to you in summary format from what i have seen other head fi'ers use. IEM's like Westone's are more needy. Armature drivers are diff and different amps produce different effects

Jan 20, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #23 of 52
Bowei006, have you actually heard both CmoyBB and E11? the Cmoybb would be a lot more helpful. My friend has a cmoy and I have an E11. Generally the E11 is worse overall due to its noisy output for driving IEMs. The Cmoy, packs more power, is more silent, drives cleanly but is disadvantage is charging mechanism( if you buy the rechargeable version, you have to buy a timer power plug to avoid overcharging). 

Generally for amps at the low tier bracket, you want a cleaner amp rather than go for a matchup or 'synergy' amp. If you want synergy, you should probably look for it somewhere else in the higher tier brackets. This ensures versatility. You can add all the distortion you want to match musics with EQ or whatever after that.

Jan 21, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #24 of 52
Noisier output on E11, yes. CmoyBB packing more power, no. I did a measurement recently. Though cmoyBB (at least with standard v2.02 or single TLE2426 v2.03) can pump out more voltage than E11 in low gain (but not in high gain), it has  a very limited current output (>4 times less than E11 in low gain and >10 times less than E11 in high gain). So overall, cmoyBB doesn't have more power, but only more volume compare to E11 in low gain. However, I do agree that cmoyBB is better behaved with IEM, at least with those that has impedance over 16 ohm and up to 150 ohm. Anything too low, cmoyBB might not have enough current (the 2x TLE2426 will help here). Anything too high, cmoyBB might not have enough voltage (will need to change the gain of the cmoyBB to deal with this).

Jan 21, 2012 at 4:31 AM Post #25 of 52

Quote:
Noisier output on E11, yes. CmoyBB packing more power, no. I did a measurement recently. Though cmoyBB (at least with standard v2.02 or single TLE2426 v2.03) can pump out more voltage than E11 in low gain (but not in high gain), it has  a very limited current output (>4 times less than E11 in low gain and >10 times less than E11 in high gain). So overall, cmoyBB doesn't have more power, but only more volume compare to E11 in low gain. However, I do agree that cmoyBB is better behaved with IEM, at least with those that has impedance over 16 ohm and up to 150 ohm. Anything too low, cmoyBB might not have enough current (the 2x TLE2426 will help here). Anything too high, cmoyBB might not have enough voltage (will need to change the gain of the cmoyBB to deal with this).

Thanks for your input  ClieOS, I always thought that the CmoyBB(2.03) packed more power(more so with the 2 bat ver), guess I was wrong there. I do agree that the cMoyBB is more well behaved than the E11 especially with the dt770 80ohm since I tried both amps with it once. The E11 was terrible with some of the Final Audio IEMs and also with the ACS T15.

Jan 21, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #26 of 52

Quote:

I have a dt770/250 and was looking at the E11 and cmoyBB 2x bat. I was wondering if you could clarify which would be better/more powerful for high impedance, the cmoyBB with gain change and the extra battery, or the E11 (or even other sub $100 suggestions). I understand I wont get the most from any budget portable amp for these headphones, but I would still like something for my ipod/phone.

Jan 21, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #27 of 52
The higher the impedance, the less current a headphone will use. So with 250 ohm, Even cmoyBB should have enough current. Between the two amps, I usually prefer E11 as it offers better control and power. cmoyBB on the other hand has better soundstage and a richer and brighter tone. I think most actually prefer cmoyBB because of its coloration. I prefer E11 because it is closer to colorless than most think. It is easy to tell the difference once you listen to them both to something really neutral and colorless, like the O2 amp. I don't know how well both will drive the DT770/250 though, as I don't have one to try.

Jan 22, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #28 of 52

Quote:
The higher the impedance, the less current a headphone will use. So with 250 ohm, Even cmoyBB should have enough current. Between the two amps, I usually prefer E11 as it offers better control and power. cmoyBB on the other hand has better soundstage and a richer and brighter tone. I think most actually prefer cmoyBB because of its coloration. I prefer E11 because it is closer to colorless than most think. It is easy to tell the difference once you listen to them both to something really neutral and colorless, like the O2 amp. I don't know how well both will drive the DT770/250 though, as I don't have one to try.

Thanks, makes sense now. From what I've read neither will drive these headphones all that well but its the best i can do atm. I was leaning towards the E11 until i saw that i had to pay $35 shipping to get it to Canada, where the cmoybb costs $7 shipping. I will look around a bit more then and see what amp works best for me. I heard the E11 has better bass which might be best for the music i listen too, which is mostly electro.

Jan 22, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #29 of 52
Just got the e11 about 5 days ago. Seems as though the differences between the e11 and the cMoyBB are pretty narrow, and an sub-par eared person like myself probably wouldn't hear the difference. For example, I really don't hear much of a difference amped or unamped with the e11, on either 770s or 880s. Only thing I sort of notice is the bass is a tad more controlled. It does drive 250ohm cans plenty loud, I usually have it set to around 3-5 depending on genre (electro vs jazz ect). So unless you plan on cruising town with some 600ohm cans, I don't see why output power would be a key factor. Unless this plays into sound somehow, which it could and I just have no idea as I'm a noob at this stuff.

The main factor that puts the cMoy out of the equation for me is the battery system, followed by durability and size. I bought the e11 with the micca accessory pack so it came with an extra battery and wall charger. I'm never without a charged battery and don't need to fill a usb slot to charge while waiting 2-3 hours until I can listen again. As for durability, the e11 is nothing more than a plastic case, plastic volume knob, plastic everything...but it's not going to dent or get scratches in the paint like the altoids tin would. Lastly, the convenience of size/shape.  The e11's volume knob sits slightly under-flush to the case so it's in no way obtrusive. Also it's very slim and compact, though the altoids tin is not that much larger, it makes a difference in your pocket (to me anyway).

Just thought I'd throw some non-audio first hand thoughts/experience out there if it helps anyone decide.

Jan 22, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #30 of 52

Quote:
... As for durability, the e11 is nothing more than a plastic case, plastic volume knob, plastic everything...but it's not going to dent or get scratches in the paint like the altoids tin would....

It seems easily to miss this: E11's does have a plastic frame (the silver bit), but the black panels on both side are thin sheet of anodized aluminum so you can still scratch it if you want to. The frame is almost impossible to form by aluminum because the complex sharp inside. The only way to have a metal frame of such shape will involve casting, and the cost will be skyrocketed on the frame alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back