Fiio E11 vs JDS Labs CMoyBB v2.03 (Taking suggestions)
Jan 16, 2012 at 1:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

ShahnT

New Head-Fier
Hello,
I recently got a pair of Beyerdynamic Dt 770/80s and found the bass to be not what I expected.  Since it's unamped, I figured that's the problem.  I've done some research, and found myself only being able to afford portable amps (-$65).  I've filtered out the PA2V2 (No bass boost options, also heard it's quite warm) and the E7 (Heard it's not powerful, and is more of a DAC than an amp).  If any of those judgements seem wrong, then please correct me.  As the titles states, right now I'm looking at the JDS Labs CmoyBB or the Fiio E11.  I want to have punchy bass, but not overpowering bass.  I listen to Rap/Dubstep, so that definitely comes in handy.  I also want the trebles to be crisp as well.  Besides that, I want the sound to be as flat and clean as possible.  If any of you have experience with any of the mentioned amps, or have another amp that's the same price or cheaper than the E11s, then please chime in.  Thank you!

Jan 16, 2012 at 2:26 AM Post #2 of 52

Quote:
Hello,
I recently got a pair of Beyerdynamic Dt 770/80s and found the bass to be not what I expected.  Since it's unamped, I figured that's the problem.  I've done some research, and found myself only being able to afford portable amps (-$65).  I've filtered out the PA2V2 (No bass boost options, also heard it's quite warm) and the E7 (Heard it's not powerful, and is more of a DAC than an amp).  If any of those judgements seem wrong, then please correct me.  As the titles states, right now I'm looking at the JDS Labs CmoyBB or the Fiio E11.  I want to have punchy bass, but not overpowering bass.  I listen to Rap/Dubstep, so that definitely comes in handy.  I also want the trebles to be crisp as well.  Besides that, I want the sound to be as flat and clean as possible.  If any of you have experience with any of the mentioned amps, or have another amp that's the same price or cheaper than the E11s, then please chime in.  Thank you!

E11. the Cmoy has a cleaner sound. but...this is in terms of super audiophile terms. the E11 being an audiophile amp is already clear and clean. it's just that the Cmoy from what i have heard is a cleaner amp that is more for the rock,classical, jazz loving people. E11 is punchy and tight. 
and what you have heard about the PA2V2 and E7 is all correct :D

Your lack of bass promlem could also be due to other factors like burn in and amping likenoted. However if you still think the bass isn't enough I have a conclusion for that. That would be different interpretations of what bass is. Audiophile bass and consumer bass is so different it's not even funny. Consumers want that mudddy. wub Wub boom boom pow bam destroy destroy type of bass. That's not....well real bass as we audiophiles like to say. Audiophile bass is tight, punchy, and concise. just enough and not overpowering :)

you will get used to audiophile bass.

Do you have an ipod? Walkman? If u do. Be sure to get and use an FiiO L9 or Le LOD(if you have an ipod) and L5 if you have a walkman. this will give you a direct line out signal straght from DAC and bypass internal amp and heapdhone jack circuits. also use lossless CD ripped tracks. Do not go converting your MP3 or AAC files into FLAC or ALAC as some new people do. This is a early misconception.

Jan 16, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #3 of 52
This sums up my thoughts exactly, and I own both amps +1

Jan 16, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #4 of 52

Quote:
This sums up my thoughts exactly, and I own both amps +1

was that +1 towards me? 
confused_face(1).gif

L3000.gif

Jan 16, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #5 of 52
Whoa, extreme coincidence here. I'm auditioning dt 770's and 880's at the moment and am also looking at those exact two amps. I also just came across the PA2V2...being a warm sounding amp it probably wouldn't suit the dt770 very well right? What about the 880 though? People have described it as being "sterile", and some added warmth might work well for it. I like the 770's so far, even with the recessed mids.

Btw, sorry to hi-jack the thread but you've asked nearly exactly what I was going to ask.

Jan 16, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #6 of 52

Quote:
Whoa, extreme coincidence here. I'm auditioning dt 770's and 880's at the moment and am also looking at those exact two amps. I also just came across the PA2V2...being a warm sounding amp it probably wouldn't suit the dt770 very well right? What about the 880 though? People have described it as being "sterile", and some added warmth might work well for it. I like the 770's so far, even with the recessed mids.

Btw, sorry to hi-jack the thread but you've asked nearly exactly what I was going to ask.

yeah, if you read the OP's post and mine thoroguhly. you should get a good sense of what the amps sound like without spending horus on researching like we did. You can also ask questions and i and others will try to help :/

Jan 16, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #7 of 52
Ah, just what I wanted to hear.  Bowei, I totally know what you mean with the overpowering bass.  Especially in Dr Dre beats, I want to kill anyone who thinks that's good bass.  Before, I was all into that, but now I definitely like punchy bass.  Since the E11 provides the clearest sound and is a really strong amp, I think I'll go with that.  I also feel like I'll crush the Cmoy in my backpack or someplace...  Anyhow, I'll have to wait about a week until I get the amp anyways.  If anyone has any other opinions, or wants to back up the E11, go ahead.

Jan 17, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #14 of 52

Quote:
I don't have an MP3 player :p

But thanks for the suggestion.

i kinda thought you did.. hmm the E10 might be a better choice now then. if you don't need out of house portability. heck. maybe even the E9. the E10 also has a DAC in it which will "upgrade" your sound. the amplifier in it is good sounding. near E11 levels but not enough power for ur Beyer's. the E9 has the same function as the E11...just amp the sound and at what...$20 more. will definatley drive it. doesn't sound as good as E11 though. you might not notice

Users who are viewing this thread

Back