Fiio E11 & Sony EX1000
Mar 7, 2012 at 8:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

remmy123

New Head-Fier
I own a pair of EX700LP's and have enjoyed them for awhile. Last time I deployed I accidently smashed one of them with my coffin rack on the ship and it shattered all plastic on the right earphone. It still works but is slighty more 'airy' and less bass than the left. Time for upgrade! I almost got the XBA-4's as a replacment but no retailer has a clue when they will get them. Newegg and Amazon have missed both dead lines for release and they still dont know when they will be getting them.

Anyway, I scored a pair of ex1000's from Provantage (for $330 overnight shipped!) after reading all the killer reviews on here and I tried them on today off my iPhone 4. Needless to say Im very dissapointed. Very. The buds that came on the IEMS out the box fit fine and seal good (I havent played with the other buds but I think I need to go up a size) but there is almost no bass. Im not a bass head but enjoy good depth in my tunes. The iPhone 4 has always been a decent mp3 player as its got a pretty good onboard DAC for what it is.

Im a novice when it comes to headphones. I decided to apply what I know as an amature home audiophile and ex pro car audio installer to use when things dont sound on par... MOAR POWER! So, I just bought a Fiio 11. Im hoping... no, praying this will help the deep end of the ex1000's as I love to jam out when I work out.

After listening to a couple of songs out of the box with major dissapointment, I have been running them off to the side connected to the iPhone on a full shuffle at 3/4's volume for the past 4 hours hoping to break them in a little.

Thoughts?

Mar 8, 2012 at 6:51 AM Post #2 of 8
Havce u tried to eq down the treble. I myself own EX1k and never found them bass lacking. However burn in did helped.....cant quote an exact number though. I run them through fiio e7

Mar 8, 2012 at 8:47 AM Post #3 of 8
Well, a friend of mine who is using the exact same combo (ex1000 + Fiio e11) said he was pretty pleased with them and the bass. I sent him one of  Dweaver's ( a head-fier)  burn-in files which I had for quite some time and he said he burned them in for close to 500 hours ( yeah, I know it sounds way too much and I guess 100 hours should be just as good) - this is the file http://hotfile.com/dl/146457902/5f78759/b-p-b-w-b10_minutes_of_silence.mp3.html . I heaven't heard the combo but I also use e11 and with both dynamics and armatures it really tightens the bass and makes it deeper. Even with bass lighter armatures EQ1 on the fiio was enough to bring the deepness. Hell, I even tried some inferior in-ears that came with my Samsung Galaxy S and had no bass at all and the e11 made them sound bearable as the bass was suddenly there and had some depth too.

Mar 8, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #4 of 8
Man guys are really helpful! I'll run the burn in file when I get home. After a little but I noticed the bass did improve but they are bright IEMs too. They seem to be pretty power hungry as well as I hovered to almost max power off my iPhone when I worked out last night.

That sounds like good news with the Fiio 11. Can't wait to try it out.

Mar 9, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
Havce u tried to eq down the treble. I myself own EX1k and never found them bass lacking. However burn in did helped.....cant quote an exact number though. I run them through fiio e7

Same comment, EX1000 don't lack bass but they're not for basshead either.

EX700LP on the other end are thick and bass-heavy, definitely for basshead, totally different signature from EX1000 (EX1000 have way more treble which reinforce the lack of bass "feeling"). This explains the disappointment switching from EX700 to EX1000.

I'm not sure any amp is going to close the gap, even with a nice bass boost feature.
But if you can give EX1000 enough listening time, brain burn-in should happen and you may end up liking EX1000 a lot.
wink.gif

Mar 9, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #6 of 8
I believe you will benefit from the E11, it opens up all my headphones giving me what my ipod touch, nano, mini cannot on their own. I will go as far to say you would notice a nice difference with an E5 that doubles an E11's battery time. I find the E5's bass boost and over all signature is a little heavier than the E11. Don't forget to get an LOD L9 to go with your iphone and E11 combo!

Mar 12, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #7 of 8
Got the amp in today. WOW. Two-fold in power and umph. Bass is right on the money now. With only 12ish hours of use I wonder what they'll spun like after a good 100 hour burn in. I keep forgetting to run the pink noise file when I go to work. I'll try to remember tomorrow.

For those of you whose find this thread by searching for it, the E11 does the job powering the Ex1000's.

Mar 12, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #8 of 8
I did get the LOD 9. It sounds great. I'm sure the benifet is avoiding the ohm load the headphone jack from the iPhone would produce in conjunction with the amp and headphones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back