FIIO E11 on a DESKTOP!?!?
Feb 2, 2012 at 12:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

nc300

New Head-Fier
hey guys, im new here, i just ordered a pair of beyerdynamic DT770 pro 250 ohm headphones, once i got it, i found out an amplifier wasn't an option, it is crucial for these cans... so i was going to buy the E6s but i heard such good reviews on the E11 amp about the rich warm sound, and adds a punchy bass, so i ordered it, it arrived today and i found out its a portable amp, and i read on an E11 review that if you use these on a desktop (which is where i do all my listening... for now) that the battery will die in no time. is this true? can i still use these on a desktop? so i thought about getting the e10 or e7, but on countless reviews i hear that the e11s will blow them out of the water in sound quality:frowning2: what should i do guys, should i keep the e11s?or will they not work good with a desktop? which is where i do the the majority of my listening. should i go with e10 or e7? i want a warm, rich, bassy amp with a nice sound stage. my budget is 100$, the amp doesnt have to be a fiio 

PS:im really new to all this.
i listen to some zeppelin, pink floyd, french electronic music(nightcall) and some rap...
PLEASE HELP!!!

Feb 2, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #2 of 18
As with any Lithium Ion batter the more times you charge it the less charge and amount of charges it will have left.  I know I continuously charge my iPod day in and day out while I listen to music and have not had issues for 3 years so you be the judge.  It would be a concern to me, but only if I needed a dedicated desktop setup and never planned on using it as a portable device or for travel.

Here is the warning directly from their site:
[size=8pt]●Charge priority function: This machine will stop working immediately when charge it, meanwhile, red light is on and blue one off. When the battery has been charged completely, please unplug the external source, this machine begin to work again, at the same time, the red light off, blue light on.[/size]

Can you return the E11?  If so I would go for a Total Bithead from headphone.com.  It is both a DAC and AMP that runs of either batteries that you put into it or USB.  You can run it without the batteries in it while it is plugged into USB and it works great this way.  That is my suggestion, but if you like FiiO products I would go with something like the E10 which would better suit your needs and reduce the risk of killing an internal battery.

Good luck on your decision!

Feb 2, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #3 of 18
The E11 is using a easy to get "Nokia BL-5B" battery, you can get them for a few dollars of ebay .... no problem at all.  You cant use it when its charging which is kinda a downer for your desktop useage. Return the E11 and get a E10 instead, beside getting a more powerful amp with the E10 you also get a DAC.

Have fun

Feb 2, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #4 of 18

the e10 shoud just have enough. but im worried about clipping. i asked about the 250 ohm beyer''s in the E17 thread yesterday and it is just enough with some room to spare. 150mW @ 32 ohms is probably just enough for your beyers. whatever it is. before you make a descision. go on to the devices respective threads and ask. so if you are now looking at E10. look at thread and PM someone that has the E10 and beyer 250 ohms and ask them about dirveability since i don't have them.. i could just not even talk about E10, E7, and E11 since i don't have them..but nobody is taking the effort to even give out specs of them and primary user evidence they have gotten personally. if you can google it and find a post that says teh E10 can drive them. tehn great.

replaceable batteries like sadi are also a good option. clieos was able to cheaply buy a new larger battery off ebay

Feb 2, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #5 of 18
how are the e17's working out for you? im the type of person who likes the best of the best and will sacrifice money if its TOTALLY worth it, and with these beyers, i know an amp does real good. so how is the bass? warm or light amp? thanks for your reply sir!

Feb 2, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #6 of 18

Quote:
how are the e17's working out for you? im the type of person who likes the best of the best and will sacrifice money if its TOTALLY worth it, and with these beyers, i know an amp does real good. so how is the bass? warm or light amp? thanks for your reply sir!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/587912/fiio-e17-alpen-first-impression-final-thought/765
i would recommend starting at this page and reading to currently. it's about 20 pages so an hour. any questions...will surely if not most definatley be answered in this. you might feel...20 pages!! 
eek.gif
 but think this way. instead of now knowing where to go and Google not helping and not getting any answers and searching everywhere and not knowing...in an hour. you could be a pro at this. just read. it has beyer's bass, sound, everything in it. as you can see. i am very active in it. any questions after if i know the answer i will try to answer.

If you need portability. this is....probably the best all in one device under $200(note the word all in one), people with Pico Slims ($500) have been wowed by it and what not. the bass can be...anything you want with the EQ :D i know u kinda want to know...how is it really. well, it's tight usually, a bit muddier in the higher EQ regions but lovely. just really really lovely. everything is just fine. just read plz. in those 20 pages. everything will come together. ok it will probably take an hour. but this is a good read.

If you need desktop i have been looking at Schiit amps and DAC's. the Bifrost is $350 and that is what i have been looking at. the valhalla and other's are also very pleasing to me and i wish to get a listen. just adding that out there. the Maverick tube magic D1 is popular on head fi and is $200. but is strictly desktop. this paragraph here is not meant for suggestion. just a rant of stuff i have been looking at and thinking of trying or buying :D

Feb 2, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #7 of 18
do you think i can use the E11 on the 3.5 out on my desktop with the beyers connected to them with the e11 working at its best as if connecting it to an i-pod 3.5 out? does dac have better quality connection? ive allready decided im getting the e17 HANDS DOWN, but like in june or july beacause i can't find them available anywhere so i wanna use these in the mean while.

Feb 2, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #8 of 18
do you think i can use the E11 on the 3.5 out on my desktop with the beyers connected to them with the e11 working at its best as if connecting it to an i-pod 3.5 out? does dac have better quality connection? ive allready decided im getting the e17 HANDS DOWN, but like in june or july beacause i can't find them available anywhere so i wanna use these in the mean while.

Feb 2, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #9 of 18

Feb 2, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #10 of 18

Quote:

unless your computer is a Mac, or a desktop PC with a $100+ dedicated sound card..the DAC and what not is probably better on your ipod >_< i recommend LOD with ipod. that gives you a pure DAC straight from analog signal from ipod 
gs1000.gif

will you notice a difference from desktop(let's assume a regular laptop) and ipod with E11 through 3.5? ....? i dont' know about you. but for my computer.. it's night and dusk. which means it is kinda  close but u can still tell a diff. oh and btw. if you use with comptuer or ipod through 3.5mm jack(get an lod) set volume to about 60% so you aren't maxing out your devices amp which adds hiss, distortion etc to it. any other questions. 

did you read? how was it?? oh plz note. i didn't say anything about E11,E10,or E7 being able to do anything at all. just conjecture or recommend it. i just did general sound properties in my posts and things on E17 (hint hint for anybody else reading)

Feb 2, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #11 of 18
so would i be able to connect my e11 to the 3.5 mm jack on my LENOVO k330 (my desktop) with the beyers connected in the out of the e11s? and get good sound? and why would i need a LOD? is it if i decide to use an i pod with the e11s?

Feb 2, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #12 of 18

Quote:
so would i be able to connect my e11 to the 3.5 mm jack on my LENOVO k330 (my desktop) with the beyers connected in the out of the e11s? and get good sound? and why would i need a LOD? is it if i decide to use an i pod with the e11s?

yes you are able to connect it like that. I have never heard of a computer that comes stnadard with a legit good audiophile sound chip(DAC in it) that was good. Lenovo's i have heard. i genereally didn't like them. plz note you are amping the sound comming fromt eh lenovo's DAC and amp and thus dual amping and including regular consumer grade parts into the mix. sure you would get good sound......but after hearing my DAC and amp stuff with no hiss, distortion, dual amping .... :D i don't want to put you off but as audiophile. i don't like recommending people go regular computer DAC and amp into an amp. 

and if you use ipod with E11..whcih u will. get an LOD. they are $10. if you just want to use with desktop.......ahh!. a desktop DAC would/might suit you better.

Feb 2, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #14 of 18

Quote:
english please? dual amping? does my pc have a bad dac or no dac? wuhh?

every computer or device that does audio has a DAC....it probably has a regular....(audiophiliy we call bad) DAC :/ it's not audiophile but it does its job. dual amping is what it means. using two amps together. so any distortion from one amp and what not adds together with the second amps...you are dual amping when u go from phone to cambridge and also from E17 to cambridge as you are using both the amps. the E17's amp is of course much much higher quality that the phone's. you do not want to dual amp with a bad initial source from phone. this is what people do often. i am heading to bed now. ill respond tmmrw and let more people join in. help me out guys, prove me wrong, say this, say that, add to it, help etc etc :D

Feb 2, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #15 of 18
I need some answer from FiiO as well from Audio Enginee, please.  I have the E7/E9 combo connected  via USB of my HP PC. I have the E10 as USB/DAC/AMP connected to my Sony Laptop.
I also have the Audio Enginee D1 connected to my Imac via USB port as USB DAC/AMP.

My question is the longevity of the Lithium battery in these three units. I use the three devices (E7/E9, E10, and AE D! ) not on the regular basis. Anytime i use either my laptop or my PCs , the lithium battery(ies) is charged but there is no indicator if the battery is full or not.  How do I know? What do I do to prolong the life of these battery ? Are they replaceable ?:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back