Fiio E10 Problem
Feb 15, 2012 at 3:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

ninjate

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm having some problems with my newly purchased Fiio E10.
My setup is a Core-i7 equipped laptop running Windows 7 x64, and I'm using foobar2000 + flac + WASAPI output @ 16bit 44kHz.
This problem also occurs when I use the same E10 with my home pc.

I have tried using several different headphones, and i experience the same problem with all of them; I'm currently using HD25-1-II.

Sound gets extremely distorted (like its coming from a broken FM radio) when I pause the song in foobar for 5 minutes. And actually, for every second that i wait with the song paused, the distortion gets that bad.
This doesn't happen while playing a (long or short) track but only when I pause it.

I tried changing my usb cable but that got me nowhere.
I also tried using one of those double headed usb cables which come with portable harddisks. so that, e10 gets enough power.
but that made things worse, i started getting random distortions with that.

has anyone else experienced a similar issue?
any ideas?

p.s.: no, I have not tried using another media player or normal output mode. why? because i was too stubborn and made myself believe that the problem was with e10; that these options just occured to me now. 
biggrin.gif

p.p.s: can't return the unit to seller for some complicated reasons 
tongue.gif
 also the time and shipping costs of sending this unit back to Fiio would be too much of a hassle for me (I guess); any information on that?

Feb 15, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #2 of 13
sounds like an issue with foobar's WASAPI plug in and the E10. Try playing audio WITHOUT WASAPI, and see if you still get distortion. That'll at least narrow it down to being WASAPI's support.

Feb 16, 2012 at 6:10 AM Post #3 of 13
Once the sound/E10 goes into "distorted mode" (using WASAPI output), all sounds from system becomes distorted. That is, even if I close the foobar and go to Windows Playback Devices/Sound settings screen and choose "Test" on Fiio E10, the test sound is distorted too (for all sample rates).

Now, I'm trying to get into distorted mode without using WASAPI plugin.

My guess is that the internal clock/sampling rate stuff in E10 is somehow getting out of sync.

By the way, distortion goes off as soon as I unplug and replug the E10, but the problem raises again in 10 minutes or so. (this may also mean some grounding or capacitor problem in my E10?)

edit:
Just tried to get into distorted mode without using WASAPI plugin.
Unfortunately yes, my E10 still goes into distorted mode when no sound comes from pc for 5 minutes or so.
Even having a youtube video playing in background keeps off the device from going into distorted mode, so issue is not foobar2000 related.

Feb 17, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #5 of 13
Deepest sympathies... I have no clue how to help right now, but I may be working on the same issue and let you know if I figure out how to fix it.

Please post a solution if you find one!

Feb 18, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #6 of 13
I have the same issue with mine. If I unplug the USB cable and plug it back in, everything works great. I don't get it.

Mar 25, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #7 of 13
Didn't want my first post to be about a possibly busted amp, and I know people don't like new threads 'round these parts (lurker), thus I'm adding a reply to this slightly dated thread, but I've had my new Fiio e10 for a couple weeks, and just really got to listening to it this weekend.  I've noticed a rapidly-repeating, very abrupt, quiet "ksh" sound about once every 5 minutes.  Occasionally, say every 30 minutes, a quiet pink noise sound, with emphasis around 4KHz (in my judgement) comes in and remains for about 5 minutes.  This isn't the jack, absolute no movement on my part.  At first I thought it was Windows.  I blanked the settings for quality, turned some supported encoding off and on, and finally turned everything off.  Still happened.  Muted Windows, still happened.  And then, to my shock, I turned the dial all the way down on the e10 and it still happened, exactly the same.  On Sennheiser HD 555's, and Xears TD4's.  This actually doesn't happen with my Fiio e7.  Unless there's a powerful microwave/radio source screwing around near my house, I don't know what to call it other than the e10.

Basically, I just want the go-ahead of someone with more expertise than me to return the e10.  I'm just a little struck, because I didn't expect it to keep making noise with the gain all the way down and no source input.  Some problem somewhere after gain control circuits but not in the jack?  What're the odds?  Anyway, would like a comment.

Apr 14, 2012 at 8:48 AM Post #8 of 13
Bumping an old thread, but I was having the same issue as the OP with my E10. After being paused for a few minutes, any sound would come out distorted - and would get worse the longer it was paused. The only thing that'd fix it was unplugging and reconnecting the USB cable, but it'd just happen again 5 minutes later. However, I found that using the E10 with a different USB port completely fixed the problem, so if you still haven't found a fix it might be worth a go! I'd also suggest trying with a powered USB hub in case the computer's power supply is causing it. The problem doesn't seem to be limited to the E10 either, I found lots of people whilst googling around complaining about the same issue with USB headsets. Hope this helps!

As for the guy above me, I didn't have that problem, but would recommend trying a different USB port or computer. If the latter doesn't help, it's probably the unit that's at fault.

May 9, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #9 of 13
Didn't want my first post to be about a possibly busted amp, and I know people don't like new threads 'round these parts (lurker), thus I'm adding a reply to this slightly dated thread, but I've had my new Fiio e10 for a couple weeks, and just really got to listening to it this weekend.  I've noticed a rapidly-repeating, very abrupt, quiet "ksh" sound about once every 5 minutes.  Occasionally, say every 30 minutes, a quiet pink noise sound, with emphasis around 4KHz (in my judgement) comes in and remains for about 5 minutes.  This isn't the jack, absolute no movement on my part.  At first I thought it was Windows.  I blanked the settings for quality, turned some supported encoding off and on, and finally turned everything off.  Still happened.  Muted Windows, still happened.  And then, to my shock, I turned the dial all the way down on the e10 and it still happened, exactly the same.  On Sennheiser HD 555's, and Xears TD4's.  This actually doesn't happen with my Fiio e7.  Unless there's a powerful microwave/radio source screwing around near my house, I don't know what to call it other than the e10.

Basically, I just want the go-ahead of someone with more expertise than me to return the e10.  I'm just a little struck, because I didn't expect it to keep making noise with the gain all the way down and no source input.  Some problem somewhere after gain control circuits but not in the jack?  What're the odds?  Anyway, would like a comment.

Absolutely bizarre! So, you're saying this happens even when the amp isn't plugged into a source? I had an amp once-upon-a-time that made a khhck! sound inbetween tracks, but your thing is weird. Do return/RMA it, especially if you can recreate the sound glitch on another computer.

Someone on amazon was going to just give me his faulty one, but giving him money for shipping turned into enough a hassle that he disappeared. I had the time to fiddle/fix/RMA, but... Oh well I'll try my own luck on a later paycheck.

Oct 29, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #10 of 13
The reason this happens is because the USB hub goes into power saving mode and doesn't wake up again properly. You can fix it by going to device manager, universal serial bus controllers. Right click on all the generic usb hub devices and untick "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" in the Power Management tab.

Mar 15, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #11 of 13
Not trying to bump an old thread but I recently found this happens to me... I notice it more on my laptop since I listen with headphones.  Its not that bad but it still becomes slightly fuzzy and clears once I plug it back in.

I tried the power setting and it didnt seem to change anything.

Anyone find a solution?   RMA??

Thanks

Mar 16, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #12 of 13
It happens to me on occasion... Everything sounds like an explosion. To fix it, you must either switch usb ports on your comp, or restart your comp with the amp unplugged. The switching of usb ports has actually fixed the problem for me almost entirely! Must be a priority of ports or something... Idk

ps. I realized after writing that you were talking about a different issue. I would try a different usb port and then if it isnt worked, change to a new media player like suggested above. I never have that problem with winamp. 

Mar 16, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #13 of 13
I've tried everything imaginable and its not solving the problem....  I wrote Fiio and will see what they suggest.  I already did what they told me once. So now I will see if they will RMA my E10

B

Users who are viewing this thread

Back